Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidding the outside causes inappropriate task cancellation  (Read 489 times)

Rivensteel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Forbidding the outside causes inappropriate task cancellation
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:21:01 pm »

Perhaps I'm not interpreting the events correctly, but when I forbid the outside to my civilian dwarves often they will suspend constructions or activities entirely inside and underground.  The only thing I can think of is if the materials are outside, but I've constructed the fort to have pretty much everything inside. Any help or insight?

I'm running a Mac w/ current OS and alpha build DF. Thanks!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding the outside causes inappropriate task cancellation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 02:28:36 pm »

What kinds of activities?  Did you try to check what items were being used for the canceled jobs?

And yes, if the items are outside, that'll cause cancellations.  There'll also be "entrance dance" cancellations if the dwarf and the item are both inside, but the dwarf has to cross an outside area to reach it.  Or if they're trying to dump an inside item in an outside garbage zone.

Also, if you're not reasonably sure it's a (unreported) bug, you should post these in Gameplay Questions instead.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:46:24 pm by Footkerchief »

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding the outside causes inappropriate task cancellation
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:57:01 pm »

outside is any tile not designated as inside and subterranean. You could make a gigantic fortress that is on the surface and fully roofed over with no way in or out barring one small tunnel with a closed drawbridge and dwarves will still consider it a forbidden area if you tell them not to go outside. It's really REALLY annoying, but that sounds like the problem.