Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fix the Fish mod  (Read 1509 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Fix the Fish mod
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:03:37 pm »

WARNING: MAY BREAK GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE

This little mod is intended for those who don't know how to do it by themselves.

Terrible bite attacks from the fish are removed. Now they act "realistically", slapping your dwarves with their tail and trying to swim away. No more fish menace.

But. For further "realism" a new fish is introduced: piranha, which acts like vanilla carps, this means it swarms dwarves and tears them apart with bites. But it lives only in freshwater tropical biomes, so you're safe in temperate regions.

For those who wants it: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=732
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Fix the Fish mod
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:07:03 pm »

In my experience, the problem with carp isn't so much the biting attack (carp, being size 3, shouldn't be very powerful), but rather the fact that any air-breathing creature has a hard time surviving underwater.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:10:53 pm »

Yeah. However, in addition to reducing attack damage, he also made the fish flee combat, which results in much less chances for dwarves to dodge into the river. Should reduce lethality from both causes a fair bit.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:13:21 pm »

In my experience, the problem with carp isn't so much the biting attack (carp, being size 3, shouldn't be very powerful), but rather the fact that any air-breathing creature has a hard time surviving underwater.

It's not a real problem so long as
a) you have skill points in swimming past dabbling.
b) kill the carp off before you die so you can exploit the travel map. It's incredibly useful for when you get trapped in one of those small little 'ponds' that (as far as I know, may be wrong) you can't get out of otherwise.

Yeah. However, in addition to reducing attack damage, he also made the fish flee combat, which results in much less chances for dwarves to dodge into the river. Should reduce lethality from both causes a fair bit.

Which seems to be the #2 cause of adventurer deaths for me. #1 is death from a demon's fire breath. :(
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.
I now have justification for genocide. Thank you.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 06:00:35 pm »

It's not a real problem so long as
a) you have skill points in swimming past dabbling.
b) kill the carp off before you die so you can exploit the travel map. It's incredibly useful for when you get trapped in one of those small little 'ponds' that (as far as I know, may be wrong) you can't get out of otherwise.

Which seems to be the #2 cause of adventurer deaths for me. #1 is death from a demon's fire breath. :(

Well, this is more about fort mode, and carp's lethality therein.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 07:48:24 pm »

This is a fortress-mode related fix and the main problem with carps were their default bite attack which is quite big still. They can even tear hands off if they're successfull. Now they just... slap.

I don't play with this mod, but someone may like it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:33:48 pm »

This mod simply makes sense.

I can't picture a single situation where a carp would result in a person (or dwarf's) death.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:49:24 pm »

My goldfish almost ate my dog.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:50:53 pm »

My goldfish almost ate my dog.
Are you serious?!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »

aren't goldfish just another species of carp?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 12:09:10 am »

Depends on the goldfish. Koi are beautified carp, for example.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 12:52:31 am »

I personally like having murderous carp; it adds to the flavor of the game. Nowhere else are rivers regarded with such terror, save maybe the Amazon IRL.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!