Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cool or wierd creatures you've modded  (Read 2711 times)

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Cool or wierd creatures you've modded
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 06:41:51 pm »

I had a megabeast called 'tarasque' that did a good job of keeping the population down in worldgen. unfortunately, I messed up the bodypart order or something and could never figure it out, so it would keel over and suffocate whenever it appeared on a map. Led to some rather anti-climactic battles.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 09:32:04 pm »

"The world of goo" goo. It swarmed your fortress at night.... eating small children and the like.

REMEMBER KIDDEYHS! Dont go swimmin in the river, er your end up like old man Triver....

...Who got eaten by goo, oh so, so sad.

They ate his eyes, neck, and uncouth dreams....

Forgot the rest of the song....

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 09:36:17 pm »

Ya know what DF needs?

Snatchers

the kind from the MSX game. Creatures that try to take the place of a dwarf in your society, and attack when your most vulnerable!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 11:07:17 pm »

The other day, I came up with a Skeletal Horror, a rare kind of skeleton "golem" created by unknown beings forgotten by myth ages ago. I couldn't figure out how to give it a "bone" material, but otherwise it's pretty fun:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that making the upper and lower spine the main body parts and small, then adding the body plates gives the creature a very effective natural armor for it's spine. Attacks against it's upperbody/lowerbody almost always hit a body plate instead of the spinal column. Thus, it's weak spot is in the head and neck. It pretty much requires a good head shot to kill it before it kills you, even though it's not any bigger than a standard human.  Unless you happen to find one after something else bashed/wrestled off most of it's many limbs.

Use the [ pre ] tags to stop the [ left ] and [ right ] tags from being forum code. Otherwise your creature turns out like a mess on these forums.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:47:39 am by Captain Mayday »
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 11:16:04 pm »

I made salamanders.
I guess the idea was they were extremely hot (to the touch) and had salamander jelly that they used to preen themselves to prevent them from deteriorating back into the ashes they came from, and dorfs use the salamander jelly for...
Well...
yeah.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 11:23:43 pm »

Seraphs of both the fallen and light varieties. Each one starts with 100 that live in a cave somewhere and are basically invincible to everything. Imagine one of those world gen megabeasts that have the huge size and damblock, then don't make it weaker. They also have basically every strength enhancing tag in there. One time I modded one as an adventurer and fell 15 z-levels with red on almost every part of my body and survived until I could defeat the peasant who had grabbed me and I could travel. As they also lack the need to breathe there are really only five ways to kill one, with four depending on pure dumb luck. Those ways are to insta-kill it by chopping its lower body to pieces, doing the same to its lower body, decapitating/smashing its head in, or immersing it in magma for an extended period, as their heatdam is just barely below the heat of magma, meaning they take damage slowly. Their one weakness is that they can not open locked doors, however, as they are immortal they can wait outside your fortress forever. They will only show up when you hit population level five, though, so as long as you avoid the extreme upper end of pop you should be fine. Just to prove that they can be killed I will confess that I have seen it done... once, I managed to shoot it so full of arrows that it could hardly move and then I unleashed like 50 axedwarves who mashed it until one got a lucky shot, I still lost quite a few of them in the battle, though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 11:26:28 pm »

Seraphs of both the fallen and light varieties. Each one starts with 100 that live in a cave somewhere and are basically invincible to everything. Imagine one of those world gen megabeasts that have the huge size and damblock, then don't make it weaker. They also have basically every strength enhancing tag in there. One time I modded one as an adventurer and fell 15 z-levels with red on almost every part of my body and survived until I could defeat the peasant who had grabbed me and I could travel. As they also lack the need to breathe there are really only five ways to kill one, with four depending on pure dumb luck. Those ways are to insta-kill it by chopping its lower body to pieces, doing the same to its lower body, decapitating/smashing its head in, or immersing it in magma for an extended period, as their heatdam is just barely below the heat of magma, meaning they take damage slowly. Their one weakness is that they can not open locked doors, however, as they are immortal they can wait outside your fortress forever. They will only show up when you hit population level five, though, so as long as you avoid the extreme upper end of pop you should be fine. Just to prove that they can be killed I will confess that I have seen it done... once, I managed to shoot it so full of arrows that it could hardly move and then I unleashed like 50 axedwarves who mashed it until one got a lucky shot, I still lost quite a few of them in the battle, though.

Good god... Roy has created the 2nd best creature that will ever exist. Sorry, but the first was already taken by whoever modded the unicorn-elephant-carp-demon bastard child.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 11:31:45 pm »

Good god... Roy has created the 2nd best creature that will ever exist. Sorry, but the first was already taken by whoever modded the unicorn-elephant-carp-demon bastard child.
I want to see that.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 11:45:07 pm »

I made a tiger shark the other day.

As in a tiger/shark hybrid.

I also did a creature (the attercop) i made for an online evolution project for the Halloween competition. It's a spider/scorpion/snake thingy.

Here's a pic of it:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:46:39 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 02:47:02 am »

Here are my seraph raws

I have uploaded the entire thing to DFFD, here is the link. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=743
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:09:39 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 06:34:09 pm »

My God, those seraphs are unstoppable! And they have demonically perfect names for battles!

I just read on Legends about the Seraphs fighting a 300-year constant war with humanity, beating them back time and time again, until the last battle of the war, when a dozen Human champions stood against 20 Seraphs in the last Human city on the planet. The Humans fought to the last, taking 19 of the Seraphs with them. The last defeated the leader of the entire civilization (or what was left of it) in a duel, but won.

I looked to see the name, and what did I see? "The Worth of Homes"

Something about that just felt EPIC.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 06:55:07 pm »

I also did a creature (the attercop) i made for an online evolution project for the Halloween competition. It's a spider/scorpion/snake thingy.

Here's a pic of it:

If I am not mistaken, tiger sharks are in vanilla already :). Try to make wolves maybe? :)

Attercap seems too similar to ettercap. However the picture and concept are cool.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 09:28:58 pm »

If I am not mistaken, tiger sharks are in vanilla already :). Try to make wolves maybe? :)

On a related note, an excerpt from the wikipedia article on ettercaps:
Quote from: Wikipedia
The name is derived from the Norwegian for spider, edderkopp, and is related to attercop, an archaic word for poisonous spider, used in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:35:31 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 09:51:24 pm »

Calm down, it's just a pun.

I made Ussal Crabs.  They were a bionicle set available awhile back.  They're giant things that can haul wagons.  They're represented by a comma.  And you know what?  I can't get them to drop shells when butchered.  They drop leather, but no shell.  How does a crab have leather?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 11:02:33 pm »

Calm down, it's just a pun.

I made Ussal Crabs.  They were a bionicle set available awhile back.  They're giant things that can haul wagons.  They're represented by a comma.  And you know what?  I can't get them to drop shells when butchered.  They drop leather, but no shell.  How does a crab have leather?

Well... a crab has an exoskeleton... which means that it's skeleton is on the OUTSIDE of it's body... which must mean it's skin is on the INSIDE of it's body!
Pages: 1 [2] 3