Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Trembling Hand DF article  (Read 7256 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Trembling Hand DF article
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2008, 01:34:02 pm »

I would like to interject with the following statement:

lol, graphics

I actually have a friend who refuses to even attempt to play the game because the default tileset is ASCII.  Poor bastard doesn't know what he's missing.  He's wasting his time playing Dead Space at the moment.

Dead Space rules actually.  So there's that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2008, 01:41:47 pm »

I don't know what the true intention of this author was, but I will interpret this as praise.

Sure, DF is not a complete game, and objectively seen, the amount of bugs and loose ends ARE things that can be critizised, if DF is compared to a already finished game (a comparison wich is, btw, pointless. No one compares a 0.28 alpha to a full game.?).

Calling it "butt-ugly" is unjustified. The game is ASCII, and was intended to be. If Toady implented full grafics, and fails horribly at it, then you can call it ugly, but when it is intended to look this way, what use is it comparing ASCII to games who need 2000 € PCs to run the grafic engine ?
Instead, compare it's looks to games of the same category, for example nethack. Compared to nethack, DFs grafics look pretty average, I guess.

As for the complicated interface...oh come on guys, the interface IS rather complicated. Sure, you get used to it, but you shouldn't HAVE TO get used to it.

So this game is:

Unfinished

Crawling with bugs

Not very pretty

Hard to play

and YET it manages to make a fanbase pay thousands of dollars for it.

DF is, in fact, a singularity, a marvel that is too hard to understand. It shouldn't work, objectively spoken, and yet, it does. No other game on this planet is able to say that about itself.

As to why this article is praise, and not how some fo you seem to think, and attack, hey, look at the article. The author donated for this game as well.
Sure, the wording is a bit...aggressive. But hey, just wait until Yahtzee ever gets to review DF.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2008, 01:55:07 pm »

Oh yahtzee, what CAN'T you review in an entertaining way?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2008, 03:20:13 pm »

I would like to interject with the following statement:

lol, graphics

I actually have a friend who refuses to even attempt to play the game because the default tileset is ASCII.  Poor bastard doesn't know what he's missing.  He's wasting his time playing Dead Space at the moment.

You shouldn't judge him, because he refuses to play with ASCII based games. We are different afterall. This is why I find the Presentation Arc very important. Many people loses the opportunity to play with this decent game, just because they dislike the ASCII display method and/or the bad interface. Well, eventually these people will be able to play also in the future.  :)

Oh yahtzee, what CAN'T you review in an entertaining way?

Eh, this has been brought up many times already...I just cannot even imagine how fun a Yahtzee DF review would be.  ;D
Not that it's gonna happen ever [imo], since yahtzee's reviews are based on well known and popular games.
Well, well...perhaps when DF v1.0 will be released...who knows!  :D

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2008, 03:31:36 pm »

The vitriol in the responses is ... charming.

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2008, 05:06:44 pm »

DF is the best thing after sex.

Blasphemy!!11

Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

*yoink*
*takes for sig and runs*
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2008, 06:18:26 pm »

DF is the best thing after sex.

Blasphemy!!11

Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

*yoink*
*takes for sig and runs*

Hey!  Come back with that!  Oh fine, keep it.  But please to be noting you have me and thvaz confused.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2008, 08:06:29 pm »

Damn, that guy is stupid.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2008, 08:32:38 pm »

Quote from: Moneo link=topic=28590.msg363983#msg363983
You know, its funny when someone has a niggling doubt about something they like. If anybody points out a flaw in it (jokingly or otherwise) it can be taken to heart more than it needs to be. As far as the response is concerned I didn't think it was that bad considering the comments he was getting, maybe he was annoyed?

I'm still a bit confused about why anybody would still think he hates DF. He obviously plays it, writes articles about it, says he's donated and is involved in the community etc.  If i hated a game I probably wouldn't do those things.

Also, if i liked a game (that had endearing problems with it, like DF does) I probably would take the piss out of it as I saw fit.

Why all the rage about some obscure crap anyway?

The impression I was left was that yes he play(ed) the game, had donated, but was now unhappy for whatever reason, as I stated in one of my paragraphs.  As for him writing about DF consistently, no way for me to know that from this single article, first (and last?) I've heard of the guy.  I also stated why I think, if he is involved in the community, he is out of touch.

To be fair, I agree with most of what he says.  The interface is lacking, I use Mayday because I can't handle ASCII with z-levels (it was just fine in 2D, when I went back for a taste as a late-comer, go figure), and there are plenty of unimplemented features.  Plenty flawed.  But I played, and continue to play, enjoying myself thoroughly.  Which, as I stated, I felt was the statement of issue.  Without that, I could see the point he says he was trying to make despite the article's flow.  As-is, it colors all his other points in a negative light, through its outright silliness and troll-esqueness.  So, certainly no rage from me, I simply found a bit of humor in his righteous indignation at the response to his less-than-stellarly written/worded article; not to defend the response's outright baseness, but it's the Interweb, big surprise.

And sure, you have the few people saying "work on your reading skills."  So you'd be happy writing an ambiguous article, the point understood by 50% of the readers, that hinged on their personal interpretation of a few of your lines?  I'd say no thanks, I'd rather have it fail based on content than lack of clarity.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]