Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Trembling Hand DF article  (Read 7261 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Trembling Hand DF article
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2008, 11:18:51 pm »

This is a pretty good exercise of our forum-goers 'rage muscle'. Nothing to see here, just a slightly funny article and people getting angry at it with people getting angry at the original angriers.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2008, 11:22:32 pm »

"Let's think about that for a moment. Dwarf Fortress This article is a mess. It's incomplete, sinfully ugly outlined, the interface flow was designed by a drunk hummingbirddwarf, and only a few people in the world actually understand it enough to play it not hate me. Yet, this utterly free article pulled in more than a $2,000 a month on average a dozen in donations hateful comments."

Fix'd.

The largest problem with the article has been stated, the single line, "I doubt anyone who plays it right now thinks it's a good game."  Some of you seem to know David from other articles, but sans this knowledge, would you view the article in a different light?  There needs to be a proceeding link if I need to read his other articles prior, otherwise using past quotations isn't a suitable defense.  I can accept his retractions and that I misunderstood his intent, but his new disclaimer rubs me poorly more than anything now.  No, the article isn't complex, it's complicated.  There is a difference.

My first read left me with the impression he was once a fan of the game, but for whatever reason, had become jaded/bored/unfulfilled with his time spent with DF.  He enjoys what DF could be, but, assuming this aforementioned quote wasn't just more of his sophisticated writing technique, he doesn't much enjoy playing it now.  Obviously he can't be too in touch with the community, since almost all I read here involves people enjoying the current version of the game.  And yes, I find his final sentence to be ambiguous, because it relies on your interpretation of the article just finished.  Either he is surprised more people aren't willing to throw money at some Promise, or he thinks it is so much more valuable.  I found him to be displeased that DF duped him, or continued to do so despite his efforts/love, and would never actually become what he wanted and would remain "a crappy ASCII game."

Yeah, strange first post, I know.  But, I was too offended by those stating the article being too "sophisticated" was the problem.  Maybe he can lower the comprehension required next time for me collage edjumacated types.  Congrats if you interpreted it correctly, though... here, your prize is a cat!  I'm going to assume writing isn't his day job given an inability to connect with much of the target audience (not that I care, but don't always assume it's your reader's intellect that cannot fathom your incredible literary anthologies).  Then again, no one liked Melville during his lifetime, so hopefully David hits it big before the drowning chamber.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2008, 12:37:55 am »

come on jashman, didn't I just get though saying how awesome we are?
why'd you gotta post an "edited version" of someone else's perfectly valid opinion, just to advertise your love for the game? come on, man!

where's the love?
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2008, 12:48:04 am »

If anything, I thought that was the least offensive part of my post.  At least it was the most light-hearted.

Wait... WAIT... see, what I was doing was pointing out the article's flaws to show how much I actually loved it.  I didn't much like actually reading the article, but I look forward to what it promises to be in the future.  Total save.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2008, 01:11:06 am »

you are forgiven.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2008, 05:09:36 am »

Man, I'm not a native english speaker, in fact my english is quite bad, but I understand that guy wrote a somewhat positive review of DF. And I'm a guy who thinks DF is the best thing after sex.

You guys should work on your reading skills.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2008, 05:33:43 am »

DF is the best thing after sex.

Blasphemy!!11
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Moneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2008, 06:54:29 am »

"Let's think about that for a moment. Dwarf Fortress This article is a mess. It's incomplete, sinfully ugly outlined, the interface flow was designed by a drunk hummingbirddwarf, and only a few people in the world actually understand it enough to play it not hate me. Yet, this utterly free article pulled in more than a $2,000 a month on average a dozen in donations hateful comments."

Fix'd.

The largest problem with the article has been stated, the single line, "I doubt anyone who plays it right now thinks it's a good game."  Some of you seem to know David from other articles, but sans this knowledge, would you view the article in a different light?  There needs to be a proceeding link if I need to read his other articles prior, otherwise using past quotations isn't a suitable defense.  I can accept his retractions and that I misunderstood his intent, but his new disclaimer rubs me poorly more than anything now.  No, the article isn't complex, it's complicated.  There is a difference.

My first read left me with the impression he was once a fan of the game, but for whatever reason, had become jaded/bored/unfulfilled with his time spent with DF.  He enjoys what DF could be, but, assuming this aforementioned quote wasn't just more of his sophisticated writing technique, he doesn't much enjoy playing it now.  Obviously he can't be too in touch with the community, since almost all I read here involves people enjoying the current version of the game.  And yes, I find his final sentence to be ambiguous, because it relies on your interpretation of the article just finished.  Either he is surprised more people aren't willing to throw money at some Promise, or he thinks it is so much more valuable.  I found him to be displeased that DF duped him, or continued to do so despite his efforts/love, and would never actually become what he wanted and would remain "a crappy ASCII game."

Yeah, strange first post, I know.  But, I was too offended by those stating the article being too "sophisticated" was the problem.  Maybe he can lower the comprehension required next time for me collage edjumacated types.  Congrats if you interpreted it correctly, though... here, your prize is a cat!  I'm going to assume writing isn't his day job given an inability to connect with much of the target audience (not that I care, but don't always assume it's your reader's intellect that cannot fathom your incredible literary anthologies).  Then again, no one liked Melville during his lifetime, so hopefully David hits it big before the drowning chamber.

You know, its funny when someone has a niggling doubt about something they like. If anybody points out a flaw in it (jokingly or otherwise) it can be taken to heart more than it needs to be. As far as the response is concerned I didn't think it was that bad considering the comments he was getting, maybe he was annoyed?

I'm still a bit confused about why anybody would still think he hates DF. He obviously plays it, writes articles about it, says he's donated and is involved in the community etc.  If i hated a game I probably wouldn't do those things.

Also, if i liked a game (that had endearing problems with it, like DF does) I probably would take the piss out of it as I saw fit.

Why all the rage about some obscure crap anyway?

Also, to the guy who says there will hopefullly never be any reviews that say "DF sucks", you must never go to /tg/.

/tg/ ?   If such a place has reviews stating DF sucks, shouldn't there be a lot of rage going on right now? (How dare they not like ASCII graphics!! >:( )

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:43 am »

"Don't tell me that's not a bear! THAT'S. A. GOD. DAMN. BEAR."
"Idiot, its a B! Not a-"
*Gunshot*

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

Well said, I felt the same when I was reading the article.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:20:31 am by Tormy »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:34 am »

He's saying it's not a good game right now, but its promise is so immense that people (including himself) donate nevertheless. From how he describes the game, it's also pretty clear that he likes it.

Yes, many would disagree about whether it's already a good game or not. Also, he's wording is sometimes not that smart. However, his intention seems clear.

But some people here simply can't be bothered to trying to understand other peoples' viewpoints.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:34 am »

DF is the best thing after sex.

Blasphemy!!11

Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2008, 10:50:12 am »

I would like to interject with the following statement:

lol, graphics

I actually have a friend who refuses to even attempt to play the game because the default tileset is ASCII.  Poor bastard doesn't know what he's missing.  He's wasting his time playing Dead Space at the moment.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2008, 11:36:21 am »

Sex is the best thing after DF.
Fixed that for you.
Blasphemy!!11
oh, don't hold it against him, his girlfriend must've been watching him writing this. Nobody wants to offend their girlfriends. They're less understanding than DF fans.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:01 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6