Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88210 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 58 - things continue blowing up
« Reply #885 on: June 22, 2009, 12:21:33 am »

From my limited view, I have to agree with Pallazo. He risked a noble, all his ships were fresh, and i'm sure that while cap ships are good at ranged bombardment, they get torn apart fighting up close. Maybe maniac needed a larger fighter screen  ;)

And if he truly believes Palazzo cheated, the game is over, at least in spirit-your all playing on faith that the other players won't cheat. When it's lost the game falls apart from mistrust.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 22, 2009, 12:28:18 am »

From my perspective, everytime Il Palazzo attacks my fleet, my fleet is completely wiped out and he takes virtually no losses.  I do not observe this happening even when other players launch Pearl Harbor scale attacks on me.

I would therefore like to request that Il Palazzo has a third party conduct all space battles on his behalf.  Whatever the reason for these unusual results, my interest in the game can not survive them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 22, 2009, 03:12:06 am »

I was earlier tempted to make a very snide remark.  I thought it wholly unsportsmanlike before, but now you've pushed me to use it.  Mainiac, you're not being a sore loser.  You're being a sore winner.

You are far away the dominant power, and you have been for most of the game.  Not but a few turns ago, you could easily have destroyed Palazzo, and only stopped by choice (which I applaud by the way).  By all rights, you can still take the both of us with some craftiness and nerve.

But no.  You finally suffer a genuinely costly blow, which Palazzo's tests (which I could back up myself if I could take screenshots) show pretty clearly was the law of averages dealing you a bad hand.  Now you're crying foul on either the engine or Palazzo because you're finally not unstoppable, and threatening that if someone doesn't come in to arbitrate, you'll take your ball and go home.  Things were unfair from the first turn, and we've all suffered from this bug or that.  We've already made it seven months - man up to the fact that disasters happen, and ride this clunky bitch to the end.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:13:50 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 22, 2009, 03:46:23 am »

Mainiac, did I complain when you annihilated my fleet back when we firts fought over Malignatus?
From my perspective, everytime Il Palazzo attacks my fleet, my fleet is completely wiped out and he takes virtually no losses.  I do not observe this happening even when other players launch Pearl Harbor scale attacks on me.
Where do you draw this one from? I attacked you twice, and the first time your cruiser and some transports survived, despite my numerical superiority.

Look, you don't know me, I don't know you. All we have to support the trust we entered this game with is each other's words.
That said, could you please try and believe that at 26 I'm at least mature enough as not to spoil the pleasure of playing this game by cheating?
(perhaps your opinion on me is too much influenced by seeing Cartman's figure next to my posts?)

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 22, 2009, 06:33:20 am »

Where is blood, where is death and destruction, where are the explosions. The esteemed House Decados wishes to be entertained. The show must go on.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 22, 2009, 08:13:08 am »

I don't want to change the result of this battle.  I want future battles to have their neutrality ensured.  That is all.

Mainiac, did I complain when you annihilated my fleet back when we firts fought over Malignatus?

I lost more ships then you in that fight.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:15:34 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:16 am »

That said, could you please try and believe that at 26 I'm at least mature enough as not to spoil the pleasure of playing this game by cheating?
I don't want to change the result of this battle.  I want future battles to have their neutrality ensured.  That is all.
Hello, you're insulting me here! Like in: insulting personally, not in-game.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 22, 2009, 09:06:48 am »

Because you guys haven't insulted me at all...

http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/LAUGHRIOT.sav
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:10:24 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:27 am »

in what ways? where?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 22, 2009, 10:54:42 am »

Given the amount of umbridge that you are expressing, you obviously are pretty convinced of your own honesty.  So that's convincing in that regard.  Can you just offer me an assurance that the space battle was conducted in a completely unremarkable fashion in every way other then the surprisingly decisive result?  It wasn't conducted in the midst of other the other battles which did not have such a surprising result?  You observed no unusual behaviors?

I am so reluctant to give this up without exhaustive investigation because I am watching a plan that I expended considerable time and resources on turn to dust in my hands.  It was that conniving that has motivated me to play this game in the first place.  If I wasn't unrelenting in all aspects of this affair, I wouldn't be facing you down in this contest in the first place.

But I think I can trust you.  So can you trust the engine here?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 22, 2009, 11:21:41 am »

I have no reason not to. The only part that I was genuinelly surprised about was the low frequency of shots reaching their targets(in both our fleets), which seemed much different from what one can deduce from the agility/accuracy ratio. But if what I came to suspect about "frozen environment" tech working in space over icy planets being true, then everything begins to look just about right.
Sure it's a weird, one could say buggish, feature, but neither one of us(I presume) was aware of it at the time of battle, so it shouldn't matter.

Other than that, let me just say that assembling this fleet, just as with you, took me a considerable amount of time and crazy-ass resource acrobatics(not to mention politics), so I can always say that I simply countered your planning with better planning.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 22, 2009, 11:29:46 am »

my plans only required, at minimum, a single freighter to survive until my next turn.   :'(

seeing as I didn't even think you had ships in the sector, that didn't seem like a longshot.

I'm going to drop my request that a third party handles space battles.  But I would really appreciate it if you would look out for any suspicious signs.

I'm pretty sure that frozen environment does not give a bonus in space, btw.  When aqizzer attacked me above malignatius, my fighters had the agility bonus from being hidden in a carrier.  If they also had the agility bonus from frozen planet they would have had 16 agility which would have made them untouchable.  (Going by the "truth about EFS". if agility is 11 above accuracy, the target can't be hit.  Near as I can tell, lowering that difference increases the odds of being hit by 5% times the amount lowered so that, I would suppose at accuracy 9 above agility, you can't miss.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:37:24 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:12 am »

hmmm? what good would it do you? a single transport? that's two units brought in, another two if you sacrificied another transport sent from Kish. It's not that I'd leave my troops on the surface vulnerable to such a meager attack force...
But I suspect that it's not the best time to discuss each others' secret plans now. There will be time for that when we finish this game.

Oh, and I don't want to sound jerk-ass-grammar-nazi like, but I think that it's umbrage, not umbridge. I'm in the process of getting some silly english certification, so I'm somewhat sensitive to this sort of thing.(which also means that I'd appreciate any corrections to my use of english from native speakers)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 22, 2009, 11:44:48 am »

English isn't your first language Palazzo? What is?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 22, 2009, 11:50:04 am »

Polish. And you flatter me, chaoticjosh.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 70