Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88229 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 58 - things continue blowing up
« Reply #870 on: June 19, 2009, 10:51:18 am »

May I ask why Aqizzar has a green chin? Logging in today to find Aqizzar with a St. Patrick's day beard is surprising.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37403.60

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 19, 2009, 05:38:35 pm »

will you tell me where you got the blademaster & mastiff tank techs from?

I researched them...

When I attacked with the stealth bonus, my fighters they got cut down like flies.  Fighters take one hit from a capital ship and they're dead.  How exactly did your fighters fly through two rounds of fire from my capital ships with only one of them getting hit?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 20, 2009, 01:05:37 am »

ok, then how did you manage to research the prerequisite "wireblades" tech, which is proscribed, without angering the church(I've seen no "Li Halan and the Church are at war" message).

and answering your question
1. fighters have 10 agility, meaning that a cruiser has 20% chance of hitting it. Three cruisers attacking six times total- statistically it's only 1 1/5 probability of destroying a fighter per Ranged Phase in each combat turn. There were two, so 2 2/5 fighters should die due to Ranged fire, assuming that those cruisers are undamaged, and before the first turn, they weren't.
2. Some of your ships were damaged after battling the Fleet over Kish, meaning their attack power was reduced.
3. I had a noble in stack, giving all my fighters an armour bonus of 20 points(24 points total for green fighters). This is enough to possibly survive a direct hit from a slightly damaged cruiser or any other kind of cap ship(only 5:1 odds give a 100% chance of destroying a unit).
4. Once I passed the Ranged Space phase, and especially when I got to the Close Space one, my 5 destroyers made a short work of your forces.
5. Having noble's morale bonus meant that none of my ships stopped firing due to morale loss.
6. I wasn't hoping for such a good outcome, but it seems that the RNG god likes me.

edit:
Ok, so I replayed this battle a few more times, and I must say that I was really lucky there to destroy almost all of your forces. Most of the time you were left with two or three cruisers for my three or four fighters. Which still would qualify as a victory.

Here's the order of battle for all you curious ones(screw secrecy)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:15:03 am by Il Palazzo »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 20, 2009, 09:23:31 am »

So was that a really decisive battle?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 20, 2009, 09:28:35 am »

Well, it practically saved my forces on Malignatus and gave me a total control of that planet, for now. All depends on what can mainiac still throw agaist us. This might range from "I got nothing" to "crap, my scouting force got destroyed, now is the time for the real thing".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 20, 2009, 09:44:31 am »

I look forward to the harrowing tales battle and conquest that this game is sure to create.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 20, 2009, 12:02:12 pm »

Ok, so I replayed this battle a few more times, and I must say that I was really lucky there to destroy almost all of your forces. Most of the time you were left with two or three cruisers for my three or four fighters. Which still would qualify as a victory.
Scrap that. I replayed this few dozens of times more, and I admit that not once I managed to get an equally favourable outcome. While my loses didn't vary widely, amounting to one-four fighters and only occasionally a destroyer, mainiac usually was left with all his cuisers(damaged) and one or sometimes two transports.
But you know, the force is strong with this one.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:32:17 pm by Il Palazzo »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 20, 2009, 06:07:46 pm »

...yeah...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 21, 2009, 06:00:53 pm »

I wonder if "frozen environment" agility bonus works in space too? From what I've gathered while replaying the last battle, it'd seem that both mine and mainiac's ships hit statistically way less often that they should from my calculations.(it'd also explain my freighter's miraculous survival of fighter/bomber attack the turn before)

Anyway, I know that M is against rule 29.(as discussed before), what about the rest of you?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:44:22 pm by Il Palazzo »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 21, 2009, 07:55:59 pm »

Look, I don't want to be a sore loser, but even after a day of consideration, I can't swallow my disbelief on this one.  The results of the first attack in that space battle don't look to me like a bug or like something else.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 21, 2009, 08:51:16 pm »

Is this what it's come to mainiac?  Accusations of cheating?  I don't think rigging combat results is even possible.  And if it was possible, considering how long you were kicking Palazzo's ass, if he would stoop to blatant cheating he would have done so long ago.  Just accept that EFS has an unpredictable combat engine, and that everyone gets lucky once in a while, and move on.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 21, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »

I am not casually bandying accusations.  I delayed long enough to consider these results with a cool head.  And I don't think these results make much sense.  To me this looks to be far outside the range of what is possible were the game engine operating as it should.

There is a degree of chance and that's important to the game.  But that chance is supposed to work on rules that we know.  If those rules are broken, by for instance the RNG for the battles being clearly unrandom, the game is ruined.  It took a lot of careful planning and conniving for me to get in the advantageous position I was in.  If, as I believe, all that is stripped away from me because the game engine delivered non-random results, it makes the game seem pointless.

It's not like I've cried foul at every setback.  I've endured some pretty freaking huge setbacks over the course of the game.  But here, I'm faced with an event that enormously dictates the course of the game but has two possible explanations.  On the one hand is that an event of minute probability happened.  On the other hand is the chance that an old and bug ridden game messed things up.  If events went as they should have, I don't want to spoil the integrity of the game.  But if the program fucked up I really don't want to go through the motions of pretending that it's honky dory.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 21, 2009, 11:09:26 pm »

Heh, does anyone want to try coming up with a In-Story explanation or story how this happened?  Some devious plot or grand strategy?
Some kinda Star Wars-y story?
"It's a trap!"
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 21, 2009, 11:27:01 pm »

Look, mainiac, while this last battle's result is very favourable to me, it's by no means such a great difference from what I expected to achieve and what I can get from replaying it. Yes, it was low probability to destroy that many of your ships, just as it's of low probability to get three times in a row a "6" on d6 dice, and everyone who ever played a board game knows that it happens all too often.
And, jeez, even if you got a better result, even if you'd be left with, let's say two additional cruisers, both damaged, would it still make such a difference? The odds of battle are somewhat in my favour here, and while replaying I discovered that I only lacked movement points, not firepower to finish you off.

And yes, I know that it's tempting to accuse others of cheating, I had the same thoughts with regards to your person earlier on, so you're not alone there.

Heh, does anyone want to try coming up with a In-Story explanation or story how this happened?  Some devious plot or grand strategy?
Some kinda Star Wars-y story?
"It's a trap!"
"Li Halan fleet emerged from stargate and quickly scanned the void for enemy ships. In a distance, a lone al-Malik freighter was spotted. The commander decided to engage it immediatelly, sending out fast fighter units, while the rest of his forces assumed positions for planet bombardement. Suddenly an alarm sounded: unknown ships were rising from the surface in battle order. "These were supposed to be destroyed by the Imperial Fleet. Damn, it's a trap! Quick, recall the fighters!" shouted the commander. The unprepared flagships were caught off guard as a flotilla of destroyers screened by wave upon wave of fighter planes charged head on towards the freighters".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 22, 2009, 12:19:01 am »

There you go, five consecutive outcomes:
Spoiler: large pic (click to show/hide)

If luck was on your side, then I'd get something like 2, and spent the rest of my turn evacuating the planet.
If neither of us were lucky, I'd get 1, 3 or 5 type of result, and you'd have to quickly take your cruisers to safety.
Should I get lucky(and I did) I would have 4 or what I actually got.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70