Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88240 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 57 - ??
« Reply #825 on: June 08, 2009, 05:54:04 pm »

Yeah, sure, you can stack them with other units, or with doppelgangers if it's assasins you're afraid of. Or you can keep more nobles there. Still, the 10 turn delay between declaring oneself Emperor and voting is there to allow for response from other players. This rule takes it away.
My point was that this rule just seems too artificial and can result in something like:
player X: on this turn I declared myself Emperor. I also managed to kill your nobles on Byzantium. I won!!
players Y,Z: wtf? there's still 10 turns left.
player X: but you can't do anything about it, rule 29 prevents you from voting, I won!
payers Y,Z: oh, crap.

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 08, 2009, 08:14:05 pm »

That's when everyone else brings their armies to Byzantium and kills his noble(s), isn't it?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »

I think if any player can actually pull off a God Father style assassination montage of his enemies to win the game, they probably deserve it.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 57 - war?
« Reply #828 on: June 08, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »

Run it from a flash drive.  It works, trust me.

Good idea.  I'll look into it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 09, 2009, 03:38:44 am »

I've never tried to assassinate nobles and never had it happen to me. Don't know how hard it is to do it. So can't say if you deserve to win for doing it or not.

I don't like that fact that if the assassinations suceed, nothing done afterwards matters. The sucesful assassinations can still bring you victory if you also posess a fleet that can stop new nobles from landing on Byzantium. So I agree with Il Palazzo, the rule 29 should not apply if someone declares himself emperor.

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 09, 2009, 05:15:32 pm »

Oh man, I remember having fun playing this game.  I was pretty lousy at it, but it was still rather fun.
Another Fading Suns game might be kinda fun, though I'd have to dig up another copy.  I'm always a bit worried about viruses and spyware and such (paranoid).

But early on, someone mentioned Merchant Prince/Machiavelli.  Would anyone be interested in playing that some time?  Not as much scifi goodness, but still pretty fun.  I seem to remember it being less buggy, too.
Besides, I loved being able to buy Cardinals, and get yourself elected (non-Space) Pope.  And I loved how Cardinals were a decent investment, with indulgence revenues.
I seem to remember being Transport Minister; great for skimming off revenues from, but I always went crazy, trying to pave the world.

Ah, good old fashioned gunboat diplomacy; you and what army indeed.  I take it Aqizzar is holding the "Do it or I'll kill you" argument in reserve?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 09, 2009, 09:17:25 pm »

I take it Aqizzar is holding the "Do it or I'll kill you" argument in reserve?

He really doesn't have that kind of unilateral power.

Hey, can someone remind me where to get a copy of the game?  I have an old laptop that could run it, even if it doesn't have internet connectivity.  Then I'll just upload the saves at the lab.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:40 pm »

Hey, what's the policy on that kinda thing?  I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to post links or give directions.
That being said, it's abandonware.  Abandonware is pretty easy to find, even just using google.

But he still got the Imperial Fleet, decayed as it may be, right?  So, is he holding the "Do it or I'll be a serious pain in the bum" card?  XD
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 09, 2009, 10:24:40 pm »

Didn't one of you post a rapid share link on like page 28? Thats where I got mine I think.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 10, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »

Okay, I've installed puppylinux on an old pentium 3 laptop and now have internet once more, much faster then expected.  So now all I need to do is either get EFS running on the windows ME partition or get some sort of emulation running in this linux environment.  But I really do need to study for my last final on friday at some point.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 11, 2009, 01:46:02 am »

((Screw finals))

http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/okay.sav

Given the rather disappointing turn of events whereby House Hawkwood has made some quite unsporting initiatives whereby one might even perceive them engaging in what could perhaps be considered uncharitable actions against certain persons recently in the service of Li Halan (now deceased) all whilst continuing to support unfortunate endeavors by a certain third party, House Li Halan has entertained notions which are perhaps less suited to encourage peaceful spirits then the reconciliatory notions of this house in the past but which nonetheless are of such a nature that one would not need to be overly audacious to conclude that these new mindsets are to an extent in line with the new diplomatic initiative being undertaken, to wit:

"F*** you and the horse you rode in on."

Without putting all too fine a point on the matter, one may presume to conclude that certain vessels previously in the orbit of Kish are now in a state that might be described as "tiny, scattered particles."  It could be suggested that in order for peaceful relations to resume between certain powers one of the parties in question may perhaps entertain the suggestion put before them:

You , loose cunted harlot, I will ream you so hard that your insatiable slut of a mother will start bleeding if you can't take a goddamn hint.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:48:02 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 11, 2009, 05:58:01 am »

See, Aqizzar, you destroy my fleet, mainiac destroys Imperial Ships. He's beyond reasoning now, drunk on delusional dreams of his own power. You thought that you're undertaking some heroic task of keeping galactic peace, while all this time you were playing mainiac's game, which results you can see now.
Wake up now, don't take this insulting behaviour lightly.

oh, and: "This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions". How dissapointing.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 57 - war!
« Reply #837 on: June 11, 2009, 07:40:54 am »

Yes, because running interference for you has worked out so well for him up until now.  He only lost six warships and your invasion of Malignatius is going great.  You retain control of nearly half of your landing transports, clearly a sign of great success.  I can't wait to see what you'll accomplish now that I'm in control of orbit.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 11, 2009, 11:50:47 am »

I too can't wait to see how this develops.

My turn done.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35:55 pm »

I too can't wait to see how this develops.

My turn done.

You still sitting it out or what?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70