Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88441 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 42 - New world order, again.
« Reply #570 on: May 01, 2009, 05:05:56 pm »

Yeah I know.  I reinstalled Tropico, and I'm up to Thasma in FF6.

Turn's sent by the way.  While I don't normally put any stock in the Score Comparison (it's far too heavily weighted to things like unit count and types), I would like to point out that I'm now the most nominally powerful House by a wide margin.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 01, 2009, 06:32:23 pm »

done my turn.

Two things:
1. there is no war between me and Decados, just an execution of a trading deal.
2. there is no war between me and Li Halan, just an execution of a trading deal.

Oh, and I've managed to get rid of that bugged stack of electronics I've mentioned earlier, by merging it with a freshly produced stack. Just so you know what to do with it, if it ever happens to you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 02, 2009, 08:36:41 am »

I would like to point out that I'm now the most nominally powerful House by a wide margin.

We generally call that margin "The imperial fleet."
To demonstrate this point, I figured out screenshots, press "control-shift-tilda" to save a screenshot named "screen" into your game directory.  However you will need to convert this from the archaic "pcx" format.  I did this with an demo application which was kind enough to paste it's url on the image:
  I did it with a lame demo, then a found a much better application.

So, what this image shows us:
1) Chi-Kao is NOT amused.  Don't ask me why, she's always like that.
2) We can notice the two change elections by the dramatic shifts in score.  On turn 20, Hawkwood and Li-Halan shoot up a bit from the garrison and eye while Decados shot way up due to control of the fleet.  On turn 40, the offices cause another dramatic shift, however the value of offices mean less in relative terms, even though the absolute effects haven't changed much.  It's possible to estimate the rough score value of the offices:
Fleet: 700 score points
Garrison 200 score points (at turn 40, turn 20 was too chaotic to estimate)
Imperial eye 200 score points
3) Some pivotal events show up:
-The al-Malik took a big score hit around the 3rd turn, which probably had something to do with them finding those cruisers soon after.  But the economic fallout of this focus on warfare is long lasting, score doesn't return to the starting value for nearly 15 turns.
-The al-Malik attack on Li-Halan shows up in the first decline in Li-Halan score.  That dip looks small compared to later scores, but is very large compared to the scores at that point
-This attack paid a very bizarre dividend a few turns later: Li Halan disbanded large amounts of artillery in outlying settlements of Kish which couldn't be defended.  This resulted in a large metal surplus which allowed for the construction of tons of engineers.  So bizarrely, the al-Malik attack ended up leaving Li-Halan stronger.
-Soon after that, a harsh defeat in space battle wipes out that score gain.
-Around 23 is the huge space battle above Malignatius.  Both Li Halan and al-Malik scores take a sharp dip south but this time Li Halan got off lighter.
-Around turn 35, Hazzat (computer fool), pissed off the church and failed to expect the Inquisition.  The churches harassment has practically stopped them in their tracks
-Soon after that comes the Decados betrayal at Istakhr and the Li Halan score takes yet another plunge.  Decados score briefly levels off due to their minor losses.
4) Aqizzar's Hawkwood just had it's first turn of no growth since the beginning of the game.  Does this forebode some diabolical plan of his?

http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/theanswer.sav
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 09:58:08 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 02, 2009, 09:09:15 am »

4) Aqizzar's Hawkwood just had it's first turn of no growth since the beginning of the game.  Does this forebode some diabolical plan of his?

You'll notice, no one else's score has changed this turn besides yours.  You're the first player in the rotation, so no else has acted yet, and Palazzo will see all the points differently.

Nice work on the screenshot, but too bad about the pcx thing.  Surely there's a way to convert it to a real file without that ad-bar.  I once again have to ask why even simple computer functions like file conversion have to be treated like sorcery.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 43
« Reply #574 on: May 02, 2009, 09:56:52 am »

http://www.irfanview.com/

This program seems to be better.  No banner, no time limit and no nonsense (going by the file size.)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 02, 2009, 02:55:02 pm »

The secon turn plunge of al-Malik score is associated with the signing of (un)holy writ. From what I gather, it keeps my score permanently lowered by 30%.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 02, 2009, 03:18:37 pm »

I thought it only chopped off 30% after you win?  I thought I had a manual, but I can't find it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 02, 2009, 03:40:44 pm »

well, my score plunged down after I signed it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 02, 2009, 03:50:40 pm »

http://www.irfanview.com/

This program seems to be better.  No banner, no time limit and no nonsense (going by the file size.)

I use Irfanview for my LP, it's pretty sweet.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 02, 2009, 06:59:47 pm »

My turn is done. Now that I am the Imperial eye I'll put together a political map of the universe.

How do others feel about me landing eye troops on their planets? Is it the right of the eye to observe everything, or would it be seen as hostile landings?
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 02, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »

My turn is done. Now that I am the Imperial eye I'll put together a political map of the universe.

How do others feel about me landing eye troops on their planets? Is it the right of the eye to observe everything, or would it be seen as hostile landings?

I guess you haven't been around to see it, but I was doing that from turn 20 onward.  Weren't you wondering why some of the Eye ships aren't in their forts?  And are damaged?

It's not you like you all didn't know.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 02, 2009, 07:23:34 pm »

Well, the eye troops are non-combat except for the landers themselves.  So I would have no major objection as long as it's just spies landing.  However if these spies share information with our enemies that harms us, we may consider any spies we deem necessary to be hostile.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 02, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »

Luckily, the Galaxy is at peace, at the moment, so there's no reason for Li Halan to go postal on the Eye.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 03, 2009, 02:21:59 pm »

Turn done.
The Guild finally send a ship to replenish my Agora. Now, when I'm not so desperate for resources.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 03, 2009, 05:17:57 pm »

Turn done.
The Guild finally send a ship to replenish my Agora. Now, when I'm not so desperate for resources.
Well, at least you're funny
...looking!
http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/turnsavename.sav
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 70