Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88509 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 38
« Reply #465 on: April 20, 2009, 05:21:21 pm »

So... I take it you are sticking by your story vis-a-vis the scouts?  Namely that you never even tried to abide by the terms of the treaty?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:23 pm »

It's your story, not mine. I did after all take all those units off your planet. Not to mention that I disbanded all the garrisons I built there so you can have an easy time retaking your cities. Then you started to talk about taking a dive during the elections, which in my eyes warranted leaving the last batch of units on your planet. Notice that I did not use them for anything but scouting until you broke the ceasefire. Which, according to your reasoning justified my decision to leave them there.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 20, 2009, 05:59:57 pm »

Here's an "artistic" impression of the current state of game, for all our faithful observes:

Feel free to guess who is who. Note that the Decados is not necessarily doing what the picture implies, it's just my licentia artistica, so to speak.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 20, 2009, 06:32:41 pm »

So, are we going to see any campagin ads for Aqizzar any time soon?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 20, 2009, 07:02:45 pm »

I was under no obligation to win the election.  At no point did I promise to win the election, attempt to win the election or even indicate the slightest desire to win the election.  I promised that if I won the election, I would give you an office.  That is what I promised, no more, no less.  In no way shape or form were my actions even remotely in violation of that promise.

You explicitly promised to withdraw all combat units from Kish.  There was also another matter you asked me to keep secret.  Whatever happened to that agreement?  That's not even getting into the little stuff, like you staying in my cities longer then agreed upon and stealing food you promised not to take.

So, to summarize.  I abide by the agreement in every particular.  You unilaterally break every damn promise you made to me.

What did I do when I noticed you breaking the agreement?  I call for:
a new, open 3-way agreement.
between myself, Pnx and you.  Negotiations that could have lead to a peaceful balance of power.  Negotiations I publicly stated would hopefully leave you in control of the fleet, as you wanted.

Yeah, damn me and my relentless warmongering.

For the benefit of our new player, and those watching at home, here's the breakdown of the deals I am aware of and whether they were honored:
House Li Halan
Give me prior notice of trips to Criticorum and I will not start a war (honored [Boski gave me notice, I did not attack him])
Terms of peace w/ al-Malik (honored)
Secret deal w/ al-Malik (unable to honor as al-Malik canceled the deal arbitrarily)
Secret Deal w/ Decados (honored, leading to...)
Terms of peace w/ Decados (honored)
Voting agreement w/ Decados and Hawkwood (honored)
Pledge not to use the Stigmatia Garrison against any other human (honored to date)
Promise to blockade Istakhr made to Il Palazzo if he wouldn't make peace (honored ;))
Promise that I would seek a treaty w/ you (honored the crap out of)
Voting agreement w/ Decados in later election (honored)
Alliance w/ Decados  and aid given to said house (honored, much to my chagrin)

House al-Malik
Alliance w/ Decados (ended in you selling him out)
Peace Treaty w/ Li Halan (broken before the ink was dry)
Secret negotiations w/ Li Halan (broken)
"Private" Correspondence (made public)
Second alliance w/ Decados (well, it's only been going for 2 turns, I'll give you some time)

Going by the track record, I think it's clear that you will say or promise whatever is convenient at the time, regardless of the facts.  Whereas the word of house Li Halan is it's bond.  Can you point to a single instance of deal breaking by myself?

So, basically what I'm trying to say here is:
Yeah, Mlittle, nice job allying yourself to this guy.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 20, 2009, 07:29:07 pm »

Are we still playing the game or are we arguing for real?
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 20, 2009, 07:53:48 pm »

Man am I glad I'm not taking this seriously.  Clearly I am the best suited to maintain rule of the galaxy, for I alone can be trusted with such absolute power without crushing my foes.

And I already made a campaign ad for the last time I was elected supreme ruler of something.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 20, 2009, 08:37:41 pm »

Every time people believe Il Palazzo, god kills a kitten.

By kitten I am refering to a member of the Li Halan special cuteness squad.

Therefore it's in my interest to let people know what a dishonorable cur he is.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 21, 2009, 05:22:27 am »

Don't worry Mainiac. I don't trust Il Palazzo. And I am not in a alliance with him. It was nothing but a business transaction we had. In fact, I would be greatly disappointed if he does not betray, what ever the current agreement will be, sometime in the future.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 21, 2009, 07:09:05 am »

Don't worry Mainiac. I don't trust Il Palazzo. And I am not in a alliance with him. It was nothing but a business transaction we had. In fact, I would be greatly disappointed if he does not betray, what ever the current agreement will be, sometime in the future.
I'm glad that my reputation holds. Wait, no, wrong. I'm dismayed that people tend to believe mainiac's demagogy.
Anyway, as M said, we're not allied.(also, alliances are terribly broken in this game, as I couldn't find a way of cancelling it other than declaring war, not to mention that they don't really do anything)
This has become a sort of standing point of this game, so try and get used to it. Every time me and mainiac start talking about the past, it turns into this sort of "conversation". I find this very educational, never again will I dismiss Israeli & Palestinian conflict with: "they should just talk about it".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 21, 2009, 07:21:49 am »

Excuse me for being painfully dumb, but what's the main goal of the game? Like, when do you win?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 21, 2009, 07:35:56 am »

Let me give you a short answer: when you become an Emperor.

And a slightly more detailed one: every 10 years elections are held, when all the houses(and sometimes the Church and the Merchant League) vote for whomever they think should become a Regent for this term. The Regent can appoint three Imperial Ministries, namely the Imperial Fleet(lots of ships), the Eye(spying outposts across the galaxy) and the Stigmata Garrison(a whole planet with crack troops, under constant siege from the Symbiots - aliens).
Once the Regent is chosen, he can declare himself an Emperor, which leads to additional voting the next turn, which he must win as well. Then, after ten years from this second voting, the third one is held. Should he win this one too, he becomes the Emperor for real, and wins the game.
While it might seem hardly possible at first glance to win all those three elections in a row, you have to remember that one can always try and bribe the Church/League, or kill off the nobles of other houses on Byzantium II(where the elections take place). Suffice to say, that after somebody declares himself an Emperor, the ban on fighting on Byzantium is lifted, which may lead to a quick attrition of nobles on said planet.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:05 am »

What do you mean "ban on fighting"?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 21, 2009, 07:46:11 am »

Up until the point when somebody declares himself Emperor, fighting on Byzantium II is prohibited - the only units that can actually attack other units are the undercover ones: the submarines, assasins, doppelgangers, SEALs. Note that assasins and doppelgangers(basically a better assasin unit) are great for killing off nobles, as they tend to ignore other units in combat, but are also forbidden by the Church, which declares war on whomever tries to research the technology associated with their training.
War with the Church means a visit from Inquisition squads(ridicoulously strong units, but arriving few in numbers), bent on razing all your labs. Should they manage to burn down all your labs, you loose all the technologies(techs cost "lab power" to maintain). Or you can repent and strike all the forbiden techs.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2009, 10:38:57 am »

Can you convince the Church to legalize proscribed technologies? Or if a technology is proscribed, it is proscribed forever?

Also, if you want an excommunication, do you really need to offer them the Holy Writ or would a "donation" suffice?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 70