Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88387 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: EOFS PBEM - Turn 21. A new world order.
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2009, 08:36:11 pm »

Okay, sorry about my own delays.  I got done and sent.  Didn't even have much to do - stuff went about as expected, and my multiple front war against the Rebel factions is a bit over extended.  Oh well.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: EOFS PBEM - Turn 21. A new world order.
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2009, 09:41:37 pm »

What an epic diplomatic fail.

Done and sent.

Edit: should we move this thread to the games/rpg section of VN?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:58:46 pm by Il Palazzo »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: EOFS PBEM - Turn 22. What shall the future bring?
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2009, 03:21:52 am »

Edit: should we move this thread to the games/rpg section of VN?

I don't really care.

Not playing the turn tonight.  But Patsi's holy journey is revealed.  He is to found a great city in the moutains of Malignatius.  The Li Halan fleet warps into the system as an honor guard for this great endeavor.  The Pancreators will shall be done.

Furthermore, let it be known that Li Halan will faithfully use the Stigmatia garrison in combating the symbiot threat.  This army shall not be used against a fellow human.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:25:59 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2009, 05:36:42 pm »

http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/PBEM22.sav

The Li Halan fleet warps into the Malignatius system and finds themselves eye to eye with the remnants of the al-Malik space forces.  Admiral Ackbar barks out orders throughout the C+C of the LHSS Eternal Pilgrim, the cruiser that had long served as flagship of the Li Halan fleet.  The discipline of Li Halan takes over as the sleek capital ships glide into a defensive formation and the small craft swarm out from their transports, creating a defensive perimeter.  Many of the Li-Halan spacers were untested in battle, but harsh training had already made them experts with their craft.

Tense moments follow before the situation report comes in, sending a wave of elation throughout the ranks of the Li Halan spacers.  House al-Malik has no new ships.  Li Halan has them outgunned!

Ackbar takes the news with stony faced impassiveness.  His hand lingers over the fleet communication channel for a moment as he considers, briefly, giving the order to fire at will and avenging the innocent lives lost in the siege of Kish.  But he withdraws his hand, no need for more death today.  He reaches for a different channel and hails the flagship of al-Malik.

"Greetings, worthy adversary.  I come to you today prepared for war, but seeking peace.  I am not the one carrying the offer however.  I humbly suggest you hail Istakhr to inquire about their current situation.  My forces will make no aggressive action.  Admiral Ackbar out."

Meanwhile...
Commodore Sergio over the bridge of the LHSS Wind Rider.  It is not his beloved craft of years.  It was an honor to be promoted from captain of a frigate to the command of a cruiser and it's task force.  But still he did not feel the ancient familiarity he had felt to this vessels namesake...

Still, there is no doubt that this new vessel is more capable.  Sergio hailed the lone frigate which al-Malik had in orbit of Istakhr, tersely informing them "Begin hostilities and you will be crushed."  Then he sent a message towards the palace of Istakhr.

"I come bearing the word of Lady Chi-Koo of the great and illustrious house Li Halan.  She wishes it to be known that no person will be allowed to stop the pilgrimage of the holy man, Patsi, nor will anyone be allowed to deprive his people them of the home that the Pancreator has ordained for them.  Should your house interfere with this divinely sanctioned mission, I am authorized to take whatever measures I deem necessary against the planet Istakhr, including orbital bombardment.
"Should any al-Malik forces deploy upon the eastern continent of Malignatius, hostilities will recommence.  al-Malik is free to act as it wishes upon the western continent and Li Halan does not wish to act in that area.  I bring to you a map of Malignatius upon which borders have been marked.  A small de-militarized barrier has been drawn between the two continents.  So long as al-Malik does not enter into the territory claimed by Li-Halan or the de-militarized zone, war can be avoided."

(I couldn't get the map to cover the entire planet, but just extend the lines vertically until you reach the edge of the map.)

Edit:
Btw, the stigmatia garrison has lost it's fleet, which kinda restricts it's ability to fight the symbiots.  I'm starting construction on a new fleet for the garrison.  I was thinking that this fleet would carry the requirement that it never travel beyond Stigmatia and the planets to the galactic northwest of there.  I'd agree to this if everyone else would agree to it as well should they become commander.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:51:36 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2009, 06:03:47 pm »

I would certainly agree to that stipulation if I ever become Stigmata Commander.  As I told Palazzo, the Garrison exists to hold back the Symbiotes.  And if they've already managed to destroy the Fleet stationed there, then it's far too big a problem on it's own to squander the Garrison's resources on personal campaigns.  To do so would literally doom the galaxy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:07 pm »

Ok, I'm going to go play my turn now, one question though, what about people going the other way round the planet?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2009, 06:13:52 pm »

Ok, I'm going to go play my turn now, one question though, what about people going the other way round the planet?

*facepalm*
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2009, 07:22:08 pm »

Turn done.
I've received word that the imperial fleet is fully capable of interceding here should it become necessary, I await how this will develop.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2009, 02:16:59 am »

save passed to mainiac

As for Stigmata, I'm against imposing any hard rules on it's forces usage. I'd rather leave the decision of holding off the symbiots(or not) entirely up to the commander - although the side that really have anything to say in this matter is the fleet commander, as it is the only force capable of stopping them from skipping the planet in question entirely and invading the rest of the sector.

Chi Kao: take the western continent and you have a deal, as I've no intention of abandoning the cities that I've already conquered.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: EOFS PBEM - Turn 23.
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2009, 02:44:26 am »

You threaten my security, invade my planets and bombard cities into rubble and expect me to be generous?  You do everything you possibly can all game to hurt me and you expect me to make friendly when you find yourself powerless?   ???

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't start bombing the hell outta Istakhr and invading Malignatius.

Hm, and it seems that you don't think the Stigmatia garrison should be neutral.  Normally, I'd object.  But it just ocured to me that Istakhr would make an excellent second base for the garrison.  And it's not like DNA, ranger and assault legions pushing you out...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:07:15 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2009, 04:45:59 am »

You threaten my security, invade my planets and bombard cities into rubble and expect me to be generous?  You do everything you possibly can all game to hurt me and you expect me to make friendly when you find yourself powerless?   ???
On pretty much every point there I've got an opposite opinion.

I'll be the last one to try being friendly with you. Your actions at the begining of the game marked you as a ruthless and belligerent one in my eyes. No amount of your propaganda can change my view of you, though you've obviously managed to fool your clueless allies. Your annexation of Criticorum left me landlocked(star-locked?), with no place to expand apart from these two underdeveloped and in every way unatractive planets that I've managed to claim. Now You're trying to wrestle away even these. What do you expect of me? To calmly disband all my troops and live the rest of my life as a recluse on Istakhr?
It's this exactly behaviour that me and the late Boksi were trying to stop in it's tracks. Too bad that the new ruler of Decados cannot see the danger that you represent, instead taking all your propaganda for facts.

As for your claim to the Malignatus' territory - you've heard my response. If you want peace, then take the western continent. If not, then stop trying to threaten me with your meager forces, I'm well prepared to defend myself. Don't expect me to simply fold and give away all of my possesions.

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't start bombing the hell outta Istakhr and invading Malignatius.
What an empty threat. Should you try your luck after all, be sure to PM me about any eventual PTS fire, as the Nova webpage says that there's a bug preventing defending player from seing the combat summary of such a defensive usage of said units.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2009, 12:03:28 pm »

You think I lack the ability to invade Malignatius?  How exactly do you intend to stop me?

Il, you can whine all you want.  But you seriously pissed me off and now I have the ability to seriously hurt you.  You should be counting your blessings that I'm still in a deal making mood.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:13:19 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2009, 01:49:43 pm »

A stack of diamonds just for me?  Oh, Il Palazzo, you shouldn't have!

http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/PBEM23.sav

In other news, one PTS missile hit a cruiser.  Did about 30 damage.  I am impressed by how far out you build PTS.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:21:45 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2009, 04:51:09 pm »

Turn done.

The imperial fleet already has a garrison stationed above stigmata, it's sufficient to keep the symbionts at bay for now, though in time I fear it would be overwhelmed. May I suggest the garrison of stigmata instead focus on transportation, and when I have brought forth reinforcements we attempt to take the fight to the symbionts, I have ships that have investigated and the symbionts appear restricted to nowhere for now though that will likely change in time.

I may also be able to render assistance on the Malignatius dispute, I find myself severely opposed to a war and I think that the force of the fleet could be wielded to keep peace between the two sides, should one side become aggressive the fleet could be used to solve the dispute.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2009, 05:13:22 pm »

A bad peace is worse then war.

Il Palazzo expects me to continue to want peace despite the fact that he has never stopped flagrantly encroaching upon me.  I have offered him compromise after compromise and he has turned every offer I have made down without even the pretense of reasonable negotiation. 
We're my conditions at Criticorum unreasonable?  All I wanted was a gaurentee that there wouldn't be a substantial enemy precence next to Kish, I even explicitly condoned other houses claiming some of the territory.
Il Palazzo has responded to one thing in this game: naked force.  Therefore, I shall use naked force until he is open to real negotiation.  If the esteemed Fleet Commander wishes to ensure peace, then I humbly request that he first requires Il Palazzo to begin negotiation.

As I said, a bad peace is worse then war.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 70