Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88422 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 40 - Let's vote.
« Reply #525 on: April 26, 2009, 08:48:44 pm »

Where'd you get that map?  I need a clear one to scribble on myself.

I used the galaxy map editor (available on the nova website) and took a normal windows screenshot.

Oh.  Can you post a clear one then?  Every screenshot I try to take of this stupid game is just black with speckles.

Actually, nevermind.  I already control Leminkainen, Ravenna, Delphi, and Tethys.  Palazzo, I am allowing free passage through Leminkainen's space, but if you land anything, whatever happens happens.

I'm in the process of securing Pentateuch, and calling dibs on Gwynneth and Bannockburn.  I assume there's no objections, since none of those are on the way to anywhere from anywhere for the rest of you.

Mainiac, I find your readiness to abandon Shaprut interesting, since you do have a ship there.  Is it on the way to Stigmata?  Or being sent from?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:57:43 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2009, 09:08:07 pm »

Oh.  Can you post a clear one then?  Every screenshot I try to take of this stupid game is just black with speckles.

Mainiac, I find your readiness to abandon Shaprut interesting, since you do have a ship there.  Is it on the way to Stigmata?  Or being sent from?

I edited the blank shot into my previous post.

Shaprut?  All I had there was a scout ship, IIRC.  I don't want Shaprut if we've got peace.  It's a great position to attack Il Palazzo from.  Which makes it a great planet to spark another war...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 27, 2009, 05:46:28 am »

So, eh, this truce, or whatever you want to call it. Does it only count existing owned planets, or does it also include all future planets not listed that the players might own?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 27, 2009, 06:11:18 am »

It's really something we gotta play by ear.  Obvious acts of aggression will result in war.  However I think the last war made that principle quite clear.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 27, 2009, 06:17:48 am »

I completely disagree.  I think a clear demarcation of what planets, or what parts of them, belong to which House is needed, to prevent future arguments from erupting into war.  To be civil is to be restrained, and it's clear that you and Palazzo can't be trusted with the freedom of barbarism.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 27, 2009, 06:50:43 am »

Let me clarify my position.

The clear boundaries laid out are an integral part to peace.  After all, the last war was triggered by a border dispute.  However, honorable behavior entails more then following treaty obligations.  General acts of provocation are just as likely to start a war.  I think the Criticorum incident established this quite well, where Il Palazzo's insistence that he had the right to colonize Criticorum (a planet he has yet to set foot on ::)), lead to conflict rather quickly, neh?

No treaty can cover all the circumstances unless there is some degree of good faith behind it.  And good faith might be needed in the future. 

Suppose for instance that I retained control of the garrison for a third turn (which I recommend to next terms regent, as I have done a splendid job in the post!) and Il Palazzo denies flights over Shaprut.  This would lead to a rather tense situation?  Good faith would be needed in such a situation, like flyovers being permitted with disclosure of cargo.

Or suppose I am garrison commander and he decides to reclaim valuable land from the symbiots (which I still recommend he do).  If I were to tell him that locations I knew were full of dangerous symbiot hordes were easy targets, he would have a good case for war.  But if I gave him the best information I had and it's out of date, it would be a less provocative act.

Or consider Nowhere.  If he colonizes the planet, I don't mind, though I'd like a heads up.  But suppose he built a fortress right next to my prime farmland.  I haven't asked him not too, but it would certainly make me expect another war.  But suppose he offers to buy the farm, clearly my fears would be assuaged by his zealous, but defensive, efforts.

And so forth.  What I'm saying here is that the treaty establishes a peace.  But peace doesn't preserve itself.  The terms we agreed to are minimal and there is no collateral in place to disincentive war.  So for peace to be maintained is going to require that both parties act in a civilized fashion in ways that the treaty doesn't make clear.

Obeying the treaty is an essential requirement.  But good faith is no less important.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 27, 2009, 08:19:30 am »

While we're waiting for Aqizzar to do his turn(hopefuly before I'm off to work), let me indulge in my favourite pastime, that is, arguing about the Criticorum incident. All you people who got already bored by this, look the other way.
Quote from: mainiac
General acts of provocation are just as likely to start a war.  I think the Criticorum incident established this quite well, where Il Palazzo's insistence that he had the right to colonize Criticorum (a planet he has yet to set foot on ), lead to conflict rather quickly, neh?
I hate it when you falsify history like that and expect people to believe you.
Spoiler: al-Malik's statement (click to show/hide)
So, mainiac, as you can see, You managed to claim
Quote from: mainac
that (you) had the right to colonize Criticorum (a planet (you) had yet to set foot on )
All I wanted was for it to remain neutral.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 27, 2009, 08:25:54 am »

I hope I didn't accidentally re-inflame the argument.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 27, 2009, 08:34:40 am »

It's not really a flammable agrument anymore, in my opinion. Me and mainiac are like two dogs separated by a fence, that never shy from giving a concerto of barking and howling at each other, just for the sake of tradition.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2009, 09:55:58 am »

sake of tradition.

Amen.  I don't think the game would be half as fun without.

But Criticorum:

1) First world I settled.  You never sent a single legion there.  Clearly, you had no interest in the surface of the world except to deny it to me.  You don't hear me complaining that I have as much right to Aylon as you.
2) I offered to divide the planet.
3) You flew an assault lander full of powered armored legions over that world right after refusing to promise peace.

Malignatius:

1) Directly between us.  Valuable for mining in the mid game.  Clearly, something we both had reason to want in the midgame.
2) You told me that you would attack peaceful settlements.
3) You refused to divide the planet, even when I asked for a single settlement.
4) I repeatedly stated my fears that you would use Malignatius to prepare an invasion of Kish.  You did exactly that.
5) That thing you asked me to keep secret.

The only similarity in both events is that:
1) I resorted to pre-emption in the face of aggression that was a clear danger to future Li-Halan sovereignty.
2) You rejected peace offers that would have divided the planet, extended while I had the upper hand.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:59:41 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:38 am »

re. criticorum:
1)You're righ there, I wanted to deny it to you, for the fear that you'd deny me a safe passage to Byzantium. Which you did right after the first turn ended.
2)your offer arrived after destroying my transport, which at the begining of the game was a big drawback. Besides, as you've stated, I didn't want that planet, I just wanted it be clear of your troops.
3)it was a freighter, it was full of <unidentified cargo> that you claim to be armoured legions, and I refused the "peace offer" that was basically a demand for concessions on a point of a gun.

re. Malignatus
I've got nothing to complain there. This was a proper war for valuable territory, which I lost and you won.
I've got to read through all the conversation we had though, to find out what was that secret thingy, cause I don't bloody remember.

(It doesn't seem that Aqizzar is going to finish his turn anytime soon, and since I'm off to work in an hour, you'll have to wait another 20-ish hours for me)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:08 am »

3)it was a freighter, it was full of <unidentified cargo> that you claim to be armoured legions, and I refused the "peace offer" that was basically a demand for concessions on a point of a gun.

...it was full of unidentified cargo, which you refused to identify, which had just launched from a fortress full of powered armored legions and no exportable resources.  What else could it be carrying?

So, in order to protect the safe passage of your troops, you sacrificed safe passage for your troops.  Yup.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 28, 2009, 01:15:43 am »

...and another turn is done.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/Turn40.sav

Well, looks like I won't be garrison commander for long.  Damn shame.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't worry, somebody able will take over.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 70