Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (40D) Teleporting Miasma  (Read 891 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(40D) Teleporting Miasma
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:02:25 pm »

Goblins attack, goblins die, my dwarves are busy sorting out the spoils from a visit by a caravan and the goblins start to rot before anyone can clear them up. They produce Miasma, but for some reason, they continue to produce Miasma in the square the goblins body was left to rot, even after the body itself has been moved.

I've watched this going on, One cloud vanishes, I check every square in the corridor, no body parts left, yet another miasma cloud will be generated. The rotting body, when hauled to my refuse heap, generates Miasma there too.

Zasit Alebath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jedvagenij.blog.hr
Re: (40D) Teleporting Miasma
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:31:59 am »

Any chunks left there?
I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Variance

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's scare some woodcutters, Billy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »

Miasma expands through filling empty non-diagonal adjacent squares. So if the square directly in the center where the miasma first came from dissipates and becomes empty, it can be quickly be refilled by any adjacent miasma tiles; no more miasma is being reproduced from a "ghost" body, though such a bug certainly isn't impossible, but what's happening is that the other parts of the cloud are just refilling that square. The other clouds themselves produce the miasma.
Why is everyone so angry?

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:52:40 pm »

No chunks, nothing left in the tiles in question, I checked and double checked. (nothing marked hidden or whatever.) The miasma wasn't being reproduced from another cloud that was already there, it would appear, fade to nothing then a little later another cloud would appear, and there would be no other clouds in that area, or any area that they could seep to it from.

Variance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 10:41:39 pm »

I see, you mean all the miasma on the map (or at least anywhere nearby) would disappear, and it really is sort of phantom miasma. Then you may have a real bug; incidentally, I should check, but I think that vermin corpses don't show up when you use "k", and could therefore be hidden under something. That's the only other possibility, other than it being a bug, and it's unlikely that you have random vermin corpses littered around your fort, other than in food stockpiles.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:57:29 pm »

I think that vermin corpses don't show up when you use "k"

Yes they do.

Variance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 06:24:49 pm »

Okay, my bad. I was getting confused with litter.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:42:45 pm »

I believe this is the normal process of rotting. Ive watched cockroach corpses decay and noticed some things.
Firstly the miasma spawns in waves echoing outwould like you describe often disapating and then renewing during the rotting process.
Secondly I noticed that the corpse of the roach disaperes halfway and continues to finsh rotting for anouther few minutes (maybe 30 seconds this game does run fast)