Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: a "Pregnancy" status ailment  (Read 3952 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: a "Pregnancy" status ailment
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 09:56:19 am »

Give us a pregnancy indicator and we can remove the dwards labors if we are so inclined.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 02:49:09 pm »

If I knew that a dwarf was coming into the fortress that would potentially spend a good portion of its time puking, resting, and consuming more resources while doing less work, it would be ushered into the death chamber the moment it appeared on the map edge.
If children could become more useful sooner, it wouldn't be a problem. See my other thread.
What does the usefulness of the child have to do with anything? It's the trained adult I care about, especially if she has preferences for plate mail and steel (I don't care about that other stuff :P), or ballista parts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 08:13:26 pm »

miscarriage?  deformed babies anyone??

Yeah but do the miscarried babies turn into ghosts or zombies that haunt your fort?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 09:01:15 pm »

Yeah but do the miscarried babies turn into ghosts or zombies that haunt your fort?

Sure, why not?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 09:39:40 pm »

Sure, why not?

Or maybe very moody Dwarves?

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 11:55:24 pm »

Holy crap, wombs!  That's an awesome suggestion!  Goblin marksmen piercing through expectant mothers with their lethal arrows, leading to baby death, leading to insane mother suicide, leading to tantruming military AND spouse, leading to fortress downfall!

yes!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 03:38:44 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Bringing out the sociopath in players since 2006!

Sheesh.

Anyway, I'm all for having a way know that females are pregnant, of any species. It's just useful information for the player!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 08:17:23 am »

Well they're dwarves, I don't think being pregnant would stop a hardy creature from doing heavy labor until very close to delivery

Agreed. Human pregnancies can be arduous and often lethal, but in the name of gameplay I think dwarven ones should be relatively easy. Maybe a rest period of a couple of weeks before delivery? Like, "Bromek Rigòthokir, Speardwarf cancels sparring: too pregnant", then pretty much resting like when wounded, except it says "Pregnant".

I really like the idea of having births be a lot more dangerous without a nurse, it would make the Health Care job more meaningful. With a decent nurse, I think the odds of births being difficult should be very long.

As for wounds, organs and stuff like that - is it really needed? Sure, it could be added, but I don't see much fun gameplay coming out of making pregnancies much more of a risk or a hassle you need to manage, and including anything remotely sexual in games is always to invite trouble you don't need.

orphanages, to cut back on baby suicide.

The most sensible thing would seem for another dwarf to adopt the baby - father, friend, or just a random dwarf in the fortress ("Urist was upset about having to adopt a baby lately"). Makes much more sense than having babies intentionally crawl off to kill themselves. :) It might mess up family relations to a point where it's an unfeasible idea, though. Who knows.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 10:41:19 am »

The most sensible thing would seem for another dwarf to adopt the baby - father, friend, or just a random dwarf in the fortress ("Urist was upset about having to adopt a baby lately"). Makes much more sense than having babies intentionally crawl off to kill themselves. :) It might mess up family relations to a point where it's an unfeasible idea, though. Who knows.

Be careful about projecting modern sensibilities onto yer dorfs.  (Don't read that if you plan on eating...)

Anywho, keeping babies alive will be more important when they are more useful...

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 05:07:45 pm »

Holy crap, wombs!  That's an awesome suggestion!  Goblin marksmen piercing through expectant mothers with their lethal arrows, leading to baby death, leading to insane mother suicide, leading to tantruming military AND spouse, leading to fortress downfall!

yes!

This thread has been reported to the religious right. You will hear from your Westboro Baptist Church representative soon.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »

Be careful about projecting modern sensibilities onto yer dorfs.  (Don't read that if you plan on eating...)

Anywho, keeping babies alive will be more important when they are more useful...

Oh, ew, that's pretty hardcore, defenitly not for me. I will miss how dwarfs give birth if this ever gets implemented.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 07:19:04 pm »

yes!

I agree 100%. I will literally kill every elf preggo in Adventurer mode, remove the baby, and throw it into a pond.

God almighty, I love Dwarf Fortress.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:26 pm »

I will literally kill every elf preggo in Adventurer mode, remove the baby, and throw it into a pond.

Wow...that's twisted.  :-\
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »

I will literally kill every elf preggo in Adventurer mode, remove the baby, and throw it into a pond.

Wow...that's twisted.  :-\

Before playing this game for the first time, I read about people who break every bone in an elf child's body, then gouge their eyes out.

I was sold. I warez almost every game known to man, but I would literally pay 20 dollars for this game. Its that spectacular. Its not PC, it isnt eye-candy.. It gets into your head. It affects your soul.

...I havent stopped laughing at the AARs since I read them two months ago, for instance. My quality of life has improved since playing DF.

XD

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 09:49:38 am »

Dwarves aren't superheroes... basically, they're just a smaller, stronger form of humans. Remember that dwarves can be irritated by the sun or wounded by a groundhog, so this is not impossible that a pregnancy could be lethal, or at least annoying for a female dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4