Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: a "Pregnancy" status ailment  (Read 3961 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Re: a "Pregnancy" status ailment
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 10:39:11 pm »

miscarriage?  deformed babies anyone??
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 11:01:56 pm »

We already have miscarriages. (In how many game forums has THAT been posted?)

Come to think of it, the best system actually would have something to do with the wounds/body system. Make "pregnant dwarf" be a special caste of dwarf. Tada!
Then, after birth, I actually think it makes sense that there be a wounded "part". There might even be other residue from the event. In fact, judging by the way spellcasting seems to work in the stories, there might even be a possible use for afterbirth... Imagine if an evil sourcerer got his hands on an adventurer's erm... well, you know what, I'm done with this topic.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 11:04:37 pm »

I like the OP's suggestions as well as the bed rest one...if, that is, dwarves did not become pregnant every freaking year. Various methods of birth control were known in the middle ages, they just weren't really talked about, or used during marriage since so many children died in infancy. Even without birth control, things just might not work out right, which would lead to interesting thoughts for the dwarves: "Fath Bombreck was disappointed to learn that she's still without child" or "Urist Tabarathel is concerned that she'll have another mouth to feed come spring"

DarkCloud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:16 pm »

How do we know that dwarven women would be affected negatively in any fashion by pregnancy? They're just that hardcore.

Like a pregnant Chuck Norris; a pregnant dwarven woman goes back to hoeing the instant after  picking a daughter up.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 03:40:50 am »

Combine it with a few days of bedrest before and after the birth, the ability to plunk the baby in a cradle when she's recruited and useful children and the system would be much better indeed

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 04:04:40 am »

cradles/cribs/other ways to imprison babies would be a great addition if you must have a mother recruited.  Also. orphanages, to cut back on baby suicide.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 04:07:30 am »

As Dwarfs will inevitably have smaller hips and pelvic bones then humans Dwarven births should be hard then human ones.  If your looking for realism having a chance of death for the mother during child birth of around 5% would be about right.  Also why not have the mother temporarily gain an additional body part 'womb' when pregnant which would allow miscarriage to be linked to the health of that particular part.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 04:36:33 am »

As Dwarfs will inevitably have smaller hips and pelvic bones then humans Dwarven births should be hard then human ones.

Sure, if they're giving birth to baby humans.

zzzdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 05:17:00 am »

You amuse me with your ideas!
Dwarves do not treat pregnancies as you humans do. Dwarves have their babies when they feel like it. Dwarves do not treat the offspring as you humans do either, or cater to the pregnancy. Dwarves have babies, and there is nothing more to it. This is because all Dwarves are born Manly.
But yes, a little status thingy that says a dwarf is pregnant would be nice.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 06:18:10 am »

Let's not exaggerate it in any case, pregnancy is not a lethal disease, although it can be lethal sometimes. In the first three months it's usually even hard to tell for the woman herself whether she's pregnant, apart from the nausea. The second trimester has no more nausea, some weight gain and related ailments. Third trimester the most weight gain and the whole spectrum of pressure-related ailments (which can probably best be represented by setting some body parts lower than the abdomen to slightly hurt).

So the for first 3-6 months I don't really see a physical reason to exclude pregnant dwarves from the labour pool, while still accounting for nausea, increasing tiredness and hunger of course. The third trimester would probably prevent them from doing hard work (mining, sparring, hauling rocks, etc.) but jobs like clothier, alchemist, bookkeeper shouldn't be a problem.

The birth itself should cause bleeding and then the slightly hurt body parts can heal. Wombs probably will be in the next release. I don't mind dwarven mothers strapping babies on their backs, creches are too modern for an outpost in the wilderness. Later on the children are going to follow them around anyway. Do dwarves breastfeed?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 07:28:11 am »

ahem. said nothing. you're right.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:31:04 am by stummel »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 08:41:46 am »

How do we know that dwarven women would be affected negatively in any fashion by pregnancy? They're just that hardcore.

Like a pregnant Chuck Norris; a pregnant dwarven woman goes back to hoeing the instant after  picking a daughter up.
My mind shut down on reading "pregnant Chuck Norris"
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 08:57:16 am »

Well they're dwarves, I don't think being pregnant would stop a hardy creature from doing heavy labor until very close to delivery

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:53 am »

Well they're dwarves, I don't think being pregnant would stop a hardy creature from doing heavy labor until very close to delivery

Well yeah, this is why this suggestion would be hard to implement. Basically we are talking about a fantasy race, while the OP's ideas are based on the Human pregnancy experiences....

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 09:28:59 am »

pfft... Dwarves dont get ill because of some lil critter inside of them.. their mothers could give birth, drink a barrel of dwarven wine and be back up in 15 mins.  and the fact that their babies are born with beards does not bother them at all.. it just tickles when they come out.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4