Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: a "Pregnancy" status ailment  (Read 3947 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a "Pregnancy" status ailment
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:02:02 pm »

As it stands, Female dwarves feel no effect of being pregant until they actually give birth, and even then, they're only inconvenienced for a second while they go to pick the baby up off the ground.

this is quite absurd.

Urist Mcplanter: La la La gotta plant those seeds La la La
*Plop*
Urist Mcplanter: Oh! it would appear a baby has fallen out of me! Best just pick him up. alright. gotta plant those seeds! La la La

This is not a realistic scenario, in real life, pregnancy is a very difficult and trying time in a woman's life, and this deserves some attention in dwarf fortress.

So i suggest a "pregnancy" status ailment that occurs when a dwarf gets pregnant, and is removed when the dwarf gives birth. the effects of this ailment could be quite a few things

-the dwarf gets tired more easily
-the dwarf moves slower the longer the ailment lasts
-the dwarf will stop to eat and drink more often
-the dwarf becomes nauseous at random times
-bleeding occurs when the dwarf finally gives birth

It may seem graphic, but it would be a startling improvement to detail that i think would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:10:08 pm by chaoticjosh »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a "Pregnancy" status ailment
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:03:39 pm »

Well Pregnancy should drain a creature's nutriance

In the medieval ages there were tons of weird things that happened during pregnancy that you never see now adays (Women eating dirt... though I HAVE heard of eating drywall)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 05:09:23 pm »

There should at least be an indication of pregnancy in their profile.  For domesticated animals, too, so you can make better decisions about which ones to slaughter for meat.

Things like increased appetite, increased weight, and penalties to endurance and lifting strength would also make sense.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:12:27 pm »

As well as a period post pregnancy...
Let's say 1 sleep cycle, the mother is bed bound in recovery and treated as a wounded dorf.
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 05:13:32 pm »

Let's say 1 sleep cycle, the mother is bed bound in recovery and treated as a wounded dorf.

Perhaps when the dwarf gives birth, she recieves medium wounds or more to her "lower body"

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 05:57:45 pm »

Perhaps when the dwarf gives birth, she recieves medium wounds or more to her "lower body"

This part would be obsolete next version; requiring the female dwarf to take a full sleep cycle would be a better way of handling it.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

This is not a realistic scenario, in real life, pregnancy is a very difficult and trying time in a woman's life...
In a human woman's life.

Also, do we really need more reasons to kill migrants on sight? If I knew that a dwarf was coming into the fortress that would potentially spend a good portion of its time puking, resting, and consuming more resources while doing less work, it would be ushered into the death chamber the moment it appeared on the map edge.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:06:38 pm »

This is not a realistic scenario, in real life, pregnancy is a very difficult and trying time in a woman's life...
In a human woman's life.

Also, do we really need more reasons to kill migrants on sight? If I knew that a dwarf was coming into the fortress that would potentially spend a good portion of its time puking, resting, and consuming more resources while doing less work, it would be ushered into the death chamber the moment it appeared on the map edge.

If children could become more useful sooner, it wouldn't be a problem. See my other thread.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 06:25:08 pm »

-the dwarf gets tired more easily
-the dwarf moves slower the longer the ailment lasts

This is what I like from your list of ideas.  :)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 06:33:37 pm »

No, pregnant dwarves compensate by drinking more alcohol which makes them oblivious to their pregnancy.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 07:04:18 pm »

This is not a realistic scenario, in real life, pregnancy is a very difficult and trying time in a woman's life, and this deserves some attention in dwarf fortress.

I guess you have never heard of Phung Thi Chinh, she fought against the Chinese on the side of the Vietnamese, she was pregnant at the time and gave birth surrounded by both her forces and the enemy, strapping the baby to her back she grabbed a sword in each hand and carved a bloody escape route through the enemy ranks.

I can see dwarves doing such things in battle, and imagine the engraving it would make.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 07:36:41 pm »

For humans pregnancy is tiring. These are Dwarves. They are  dwarvenly enough to not be affected.
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 07:45:36 pm »

I like the pregnancy status.  I like the idea of bedrest after giving birth.  I don't like wounded lower parts or bleeding wounds.  However realistic it might or might not be, I think some things are better left in abstraction.

Pregnant dwarves should also not be able to be recruited.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »

I like the pregnancy status.  I like the idea of bedrest after giving birth.  I don't like wounded lower parts or bleeding wounds.  However realistic it might or might not be, I think some things are better left in abstraction.

Pregnant dwarves should also not be able to be recruited.
Fraternity leave?
Lasts, til that (those) dick (s) can leave that whore's (s') inventory.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 09:23:37 pm »

I suppose that depends on their culture weather they would have it. Humans would likely have women leave the military to raise their kids beyond 'child.' Dwarves and goblins would likely not care too much.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4