Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding questions...  (Read 1125 times)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding questions...
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:24:34 am »

ok, I've got a lotta basic questions about modding, tags and everything.  But mostly I don't know enough to ask the right questions.  In any event here's the questions I have.

1.) Progress_trigger_population/production/trade  seems pretty straight forward, but my question is this, does 1 really mean 1 or does it tell the program to revert to the lowest allowed integer? (i.e. 100 trade, 1000 production, etc.)
 2.) Entity types are a little confusing at the moment, since in vanilla DF they seem to be linked to biomes, and in the mod I'm trying to update they... aren't.  Would that matter?

Beyond those two I don't really know enough to ask pertinent questions, so any suggestions would be helpful.
Demon of Darkness

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Modding questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:18:26 am »

1) Numbers are levels. 0 is outpost, 1 is village, 2 is town etc. Each level is determined by your imports/exports and wealth.

2) What do you call "entity type"?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:18:54 pm »

By entity types I mean [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] for dwarves, [ENTITY:FOREST] FOR elves, etc.

Those are obviously linked to biomes, but some of these I'm lookin at in the mod aren't, still looking through them to see if I can find the pattern, but I'm splitting my time today between this and finding out why my car won't run :p  I'll leave ya'll to guess which has to be done before monday
Demon of Darkness

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 03:41:21 pm »

It's just a name. Call it anything.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:06:26 pm »

Deon: Hate to disagree, but (and I may be wrong) doesn't the [ENTITY:] tag affect some things in the case of 'Skulking' and 'Evil'?

Not sure if it was the problem, but until I changed [ENTITY:EVIL] to [ENTITY:PLAINS] I couldn't get one of my modded races to work. It had everything it needed and once I changed that one tag it worked. Not so sure about skulking, haven't tried to make a playable 'skulking' race yet...

EDIT: Though, I don't think I checked if any Zaltair civs lasted past world gen... So I'm probably wrong... :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:08:10 pm by StrikeTheSand »
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.
I now have justification for genocide. Thank you.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 05:16:03 pm »

ENTITY of skulking and evil does seem to imply.. something. It used to imply more but a lot of the functionality was stripped out - it's certainly possible to add in copies of goblins called EVIL1, EVIL2, and BOB, and they'll all work.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 05:33:10 pm »

I've not even known of Df for 6 months, so I know nothing of a lot of the old stuff people talk about...

But yeah, I was right then. :P

Anyway...

So would that mean that Evil2 would work like Evil, or like any other random tag?
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 05:44:38 pm »

Actually, I'm not sure if we ever established that the entity names mean anything.

Surely all the various entity tags do, but I don't think that any of the entity names are hardcoded to change stuff. You could ask Toady, but minor changes to the entity tags and world gen parameters completely fuck up civ behavior, so it could just be that people are imagining things.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

Hm, what's the point of Entity tags then?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 05:52:53 pm »

Each civ must have a unique name for [ENTITY:x], because that is the object entry title, and having multiple objects entries with the same title can actually make both entries be ignored by the worldgen process, among other potential issues.  It's just like [CREATURE:x] or [MATGLOSS:x].  In other words, the [ENTITY:x] tag is the first tag of the entry that sets it apart from the others.

When I first made the matoran and makuta for the LEGO mod, I called them [ENTITY:PLAINS] and [ENTITY:EVIL], respectively.  I had the Play Now! option to play them in adventure mode, but could not choose the starting civ or play them in fort mode.  Changing them to [ENTITY:LIGHT] and [ENTITY:SHADOW] fixed that.

This explanation is further supported by this wiki page.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 05:55:24 pm »

Oh, I get it now. Thanks! :)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 05:55:28 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Entity_tokens

All of that.

Though technically, my semantics was wrong in that the entity name is merely another [TAG], but whatever.

The point is, we don't really know if the entity name does anything hardcoded for certain, but from my modding experience it doesn't and you can name your entity LOLRANDUMPENGUINSXD or whatever. As long as it still has the same other entity tokens/tags as gobbos, it would act like them.

Also, Entity names cannot overlap, as mentioned before. If you duplicate entity NAMES of anything in the raws, it'll fuck things up, leading to the old WIZARD FORTRESS issues modders got.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 05:56:36 pm »

Hm, not heard of the Wizard Fortress issues. I'm kinda new to this board, lol.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 06:00:33 pm »

Basically it's a pretty well known issue that if you duplicate raw entries- the races, creatures, and civs will be jumbled and playing will be a mess.

Lizardmen have had civs fighting batmen in forest retreats, but most popularly you would embark/adventure with Wizards instead of dwarves.

That was back in the 2D days - but it still applies to today.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 06:02:21 pm »

Oh, that makes sense.
Pages: [1] 2