Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80043 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (To War!)
« Reply #375 on: June 11, 2009, 03:32:34 pm »

Lashers should use the spines of their foes.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2009, 04:37:36 pm »

Lashers should use the spines of their foes.

This.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 11, 2009, 04:58:59 pm »

Bloogon stowed his note pad, that was the most awesome lesson EVER! now to test those moves in practice in the barracks.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2009, 11:59:45 am »

For the arrival of the Grand Army to their destination, the capital of Nilarzes' civilization, follow this link:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31475.msg601469#msg601469

Hey Lanternwebs  ;)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2009, 01:12:57 pm »

Combined stories, cool.  That means twice the read!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2009, 03:38:47 pm »

Just because Toonyman has more kills then me doesn't mean I don't deserve a mention ya know.

Good read.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2009, 04:49:34 pm »

I think you have more kills actually.  By one.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 14, 2009, 06:31:18 pm »

Woah, seriously?

Edit: You sick bastard. I have twelve at last count and you have 37.

Don't lie to the WorkerDrone.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2009, 06:32:16 pm »

Go back a page or two.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 18, 2009, 11:48:44 pm »

Grath marched onward, his mind barely on the path before him. His place in the second rank meant that the ground before him was well-trod, sticks and rocks crushed beneath the steel tread of the advance guard, and then buried by the steps of the first rank.

The core of the army was Lanternwebs, their numbers bolstering what remained of Sosadcerol's forces. They marched in close formation, their gleaming steel shields forming a solid wall before them. In combat, the front rank would change and push, clearing a path to the heart of the enemy formation for the second rank, who would widen the breach before the frenzy of battle claimed them and any thought of strategy dissolved into melee. There, skill with axe and shield would determine survival, not adherence to a complicated battleplan. The formations would dissolve as each warrior sought glory in battle, their weapons hunting for the kills that they would sing about at the battle's end.

The bulk of Sosadcerol's forces were the advance guard, light troops spread out to protect the main column from ambush. Grath was certain that no troll force had a hope of breaking his formation, but Flint had insisted that they have a screen to protect them from troll archers. Plus, he had said, many from Sosadcerol were inexperienced in the techniques that Lanternwebs had developed, and there was no time to teach them. Sosadcerol had also provided all but two of the marksdwarves. Lanternwebs would form the core, and Sosadcerol would form the shell.

Not that Sosadcerol could be trusted, Grath reminded himself. They were loyal, of course. He had seen the destruction the trolls had brought to them, and the fire in their soldier's eyes. But fire in the eyes did not mean that they had the courage to stand before a charge, the skill to block and swing and kill. Their spirit was well-placed, but their bodies would not be. Lanternwebs would have to protect its own in the battle, he was sure.

But protect their own they would. Each of them would be a match for five of the trolls at least, if Argentum was to be believed. Though he had never seen trolls, Argentum's description of them with their pebbly hides and thick black blood had given him a taste of the battle to come. And if Argentum and Kheskeim could take on seven without anything serious enough to warrant bed rest, he would gladly take on six at once. The trolls would need to assemble their entire army to challenge the Grand Army, and when they lost they would be broken and no threat. He brought his attention back to the front, watching the forest give way to mountains carved by time out of marble and gneiss, their pale slopes rising beneath his boots as the Grand Army marched on.

-------------------
Time to write while on vacation? Hah! Hopefully I'll get another of these up over the weekend, before we should be back to regular updates on Tuesday.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 19, 2009, 02:12:40 pm »

Damn dirty inexperienced cowards, those Sosadcerolians!  ;D

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2009, 11:32:01 am »

Fantastic developments. Back from busy work schedules, business travels and gf knee-operation.
Great writing Rysith. Not sure I understand how exactly this ordeal with the Troll war is going on or if Argentum and Kheskeim really did encounter some or not, but the writing is great so who cares really.

I think Kheskeim will fit right in with the Bloodgod guys. Black troll blood will do.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 25, 2009, 06:46:40 pm »

"That's enough storytelling for tonight, I think." Silvereye said, raising his mug and taking a long drink as the campfire in front of him flickered and danced. A murmur of complaint passed around the other marksdawrves who had been listening as he recounted the battles of Lanternwebs, from his first frightened battle in the mists to his latest heroics against goblins.

"One more, please!" cried Ducim, a young marksdwarf from Sosadcerol.

"Oh, all right." Said Silvereye, reaching over put down his drink. "But this time, I'll tell one is from before I ever saw combat.

Back when I was learning to shoot, I had a mentor, Melbil. Best marksdwarf I've met yet, and the first marksdwarf in Lanternwebs to earn the rank of Champion. He could hit a fluffy wambler at fifty paces and could fire a bolt for every beat of your heart in battle, so fast that he earned the title "The Jade Blizzard of Blades". Fired the arrow that slew Xuspgas, former leader of the Mysterious Dread.

That's just a brief introduction. He was a steady hand with a crossbow when I was fumbling to load my first bolt, and he told me three very important things, things that I've always remembered. Three things that I'm going to pass on to you, now.

The first one is the most practical. Remember your place and role in battle. That may sound simple, but once combat hits and everyone's screaming and fighting around you, it's hard to remember. You're a marksdwarf, you're there to support the other soldiers. Keep cover between you and your opponents, and aim for the chest. A hit to the legs won't slow a troll down any more than it would an orc, and it doesn't slow orcs down at all. A hit to the head might phase them a bit, but I've seen orcs keep fighting with their brains all but gone. But a good shot to the chest will make them bleed enough that soon they won't have enough blood to keep fighting, no matter how little they are feeling.

The second one is that the only way to get better is to challenge yourself. He told me, and I'll tell you, that once upon a time we were just as green as the newest among you. Your first battle you will be filled with terror, unable to move. Your bolts will feel like they are made of lead, your enemies like they are made of smoke. You'll mis-slot the bolt, fire wide, and take three tries to grab a fresh bolt out of the quiver. But it's not through something innate that I can kill half a dozen goblins before they can get over a twenty foot bridge. The only way past that terror is to face it, to fight it, to beat it down and focus on what you have to do. You might not win against it your first time, but every time you fight it instead of giving in it will be a bit easier to defeat the next time, the movements will come a little more naturally. You just have to keep going.

And that brings me to the third one. Killing should never be easy. The swordmasters and axe lords know it, every time they kill they are face-to-face with their enemies, trusting their armor and shields to keep them safe. The marksdwarves, safe on the edges of the battle and isolated by distance, sometimes need to be reminded of it. No matter how fast you can slot and fire, no matter how safe you feel from those who are attacking you, no matter how much those who are attacking you need to die, the killing should never be easy. Each time you release a bolt to strike someone's heart, you need to recognize that you ended a life. You may have needed to end that life. The world may be a better place for lacking that life. With the trolls, it probably is. But as soon as you stop thinking of them as lives, as soon as they become the same as the archery targets that we splinter bones against as we hone our art, you become a monster. You lose the part that separates you from those you fight, the part that can know if ending that life was the right thing to do.

Now, that was probably overly preachy and not much of a story at all, so I'll make it up to you with a story from Melbil's past, in the early days of Lanternwebs. Back I came to Lanternwebs, before we had the Grand Army, when even Flint and Kib were inexperienced warriors, a terrible Orc chieftain named Utes Devilfray came to lay siege to Lanternwebs..."

Silvereye drifted off into the story, his hands reenacting the first major battle of Lanternwebs, his audience listening intently far into the the night.

-----------------
Blargh, no time!
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 26, 2009, 04:56:53 pm »

"The bulk of what they can muster will be in the tunnels." Kel said, pointing her finger at the map of the trollish fortress. "They can't hope to stand against us on the surface, but in the tunnels their larger size may allow them to overpower us individually. We'll have to be careful of ambushes."

"But surely they realize that retreating into the tunnels is a death sentence for them?" Asked Flint. "They require meat to survive, and you can't get meat off a mushroom. We aren't even sure they can grow edible mushrooms under there. They'll starve to death before the first snows of winter, while we wait outside."

"Any less of a death sentence than meeting us on the open field?" Kel responded, indignantly. "Seventy-odd heavy infantry with crossbow support, when we can already take on three to one odds comfortably? Our scouts reported no more than a hundred and fifty trolls there, and that's going to include the noncombatants as well. More than we could take, to be sure, especially while providing for the defense of Sosadcerol as well, but after Argentum and Kheskeim's battle I can't see that many trolls posing a problem for us. You could have sent half as many troops as you did, and I'd still be confident of victory."

"No." Stated The Tooninator, who had been observing the tactics discussion with uncharacteristic silence. "With half as many troops, we'd win the battle, but not win the war."

"What do you mean?" Asked Commander Muthkat. "Even with only thirty of your dwarves, I'd stand by them against a hundred and fifty trolls, if those two scouts you had are any indication of the rest of your troops."

"You'd win, sure." The Tooninator responded. "But it would look like you might not. If we sent thirty to kill a hundred and fifty, who knows. Maybe next time they would gather two hundred and try again. The chieftains would cry out that they must avenge the hundred and fifty that we struck down, and the youth would go eagerly to war with fire in their hearts, eager to prove themselves in combat with a hated foe."

"But sixty," he continued, " Sixty is bigger than that. Sixty is big enough that we'll send a message not just to the trolls, but to everyone else: Attack Sosadcerol too much, and you'll be up against an army so big that it will destroy you no matter what you send to challenge it, an army that will come to your home and burn it to the ground. That message will strike fear into the trolls, it will break their spirits where our strength will break their bodies. Their chieftains will be unable to gather a new army with cries for vengeance, because everyone will be fearful of the vengeance that Sosadcerol would call down upon them. You will be left in peace, because it will be too dangerous to do otherwise. We must strike them once, with overwhelming force, not many times with carefully measured force. We must give them no hope that we can be opposed."

"Moving on," said Kel, momentarily shocked by The Tooninator's speech, " We need to discuss tactics. The hallways will be narrow, so we won't have the advantage of numbers. They'll know the layout much better than us, too, so we'll need to be careful to avoid being surrounded. I'd suggest splitting into groups that can keep a two-deep formation across the tunnels, and hitting as many of them at the same time as we can. It will hopefully make it harder for them to mount a coordinated defense, and we'll clear the fortress more quickly."

"What of the surface?" asked Flint. "Suppose they do decide to stand and fight?"

"I would trust that to you." Replied Kel. "Tell us where our forces need to be, and we will d our best to follow your plans. Your dwarves will be leading the core of any field battles, so you'll know best how they fight."

"Right." Said Flint authoritatively. "If we're fighting on the surface, we'll want the heavy infantry at the middle, making a shock charge and then setting up a line of battle. The support forces will stay back, moving to prevent any flanking and reinforce any breaks in the line. Marksdwarves will fire over the line at will, with an emphasis on leaders. Plan B is to allow the line to fold to boxes encircling the support, then fight the boxes to join up and allow for us to fight in turns." He rapidly sketched on the map with a piece of lignite, The Tooninator and Kib nodding in agreement.

"Sir!" Shouted Workerdrone, bursting into the command tent and saluting. "My scouting party has returned. We've found the fortress."

"Excellent." Said Flint. "Any idea of the opposition?"

"We'll likely move close enough to hear the war drums tomorrow." Workerdrone replied. "It looks like they are gathering everything they have to try to drive us off. Four hundred soldiers on the field above the fortress, at least, with a dozen or so who look like leaders. There could be more inside, I'm not sure. I didn't want to get any closer, to avoid them chasing after me and forcing me to kill them all before reporting back to you."

"Four hundred, you say." Flint mused. "Looks like we'll be having our surface battle after all. With a small change of plans. We're going to go in as the box, and try to fight to the fortress gates. We'll drop a team of heavy infantry down to clear the fortress, and if necessary we'll retreat to the fortress once it's ours. I'd like to see them try to fit that army into the tunnels while dwarves are holding them. We'll really be able to show them they can't oppose us, now."
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 26, 2009, 04:58:19 pm »

As always, need I say more?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30