Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80066 times)

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (A Call for Aid)
« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »

He landed with his feet planted firmly on the chestplate of the surprised goblin leader, the weight of dwarf and armor driving him to the ground before a powerful upwards slash sent the limp body flying, leaving a trail of blood hanging in the air before crashing into the far side of the valley with a crunch.

Trying to imagine this...damn.....too.......awesome

I know that they don't actually dual wield when you put on 2 weapons, but I think that dual wielding picks is the perfect place to exercise a little artistic freedom, don't you? ;D

"Vengeance is mine!" Only then did it dawn on the Greenskins their folly, for there would be no escaping this Dwarf's wrath. "Let it flow in rivers! Blood For The Blood God!..." The dwarf had met the first of the enemy Greenskins, his sword cleaving flesh from bone, spilling even more blood to go with the recent Dwarven blood spilled. "...Skulls For The Skull Throne!"
I must find a way to stuff all of that dwarveness into a sig
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2009, 12:05:15 am »

Its interesting how you would say Skulls For HIS Skull Throne.

I would usually replace THE with His, namely because it would mark Armok as being the one referred to, and not the Khornite god in question.

But when you think about it, it can either be The, or His, depending on whether or not you are charging into combat.

I'll usually replace The with His, but it can be either or.

Also, its ALWAYS Blood For The Blood God. Don't try and put a little change through there, because there is no question. Armok is The Blood God.

One last thing, you might want to get rid of the redundant " at the end of your signature, if your not going to do it in quote form.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2009, 06:51:06 am »

Lol, that a good point. I would have quoted you on it, but it seemed kind of assuming to change it a little and still keep your name on it.(putting words into your mouth)

I tried to think up more 'verses' along those line, but the best I came up with was:
Bones For His Bone.....Bread?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:52:46 am by nichaey »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2009, 06:55:40 am »

The war cry is directly derived from Warhammer, not sure if its also in the Old World setting, but I got it from the Far Future setting.

There are no other verses, simply those two shouts, one usually used when charging into battle, and the other when meeting the enemy, usually because its around the time you start hacking heads off of peoples shoulders.

And what I meant by quote wasn't actually forum quoting, I mean using quotation marks in your signature. You for got to put one in front of it. Obviously if your not going to take it directly from the source you wouldn't want a random character sticking at the end of it.

Anyhow! Enough getting off topic.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2009, 04:22:58 pm »

Silvereye stood ready at his post. He held his crossbow comfortably, refusing the finely-crafted steel that Skjald was now turning out in favor of the tower-cap crossbow that he had been using since he first joined. He was used to it, knew its feel, and liked the feeling of the bloodstained stock against his shoulder.

He felt quite different from the last time he had seen combat from behind the fortifications of Lanternwebs. Where before, he had been a new recruit, struggling with his bolts in the heat of battle, he was now a veteran, used to the sights, sounds, and emotions of battle. To his right stood Umir, an echo of himself two years past, fumbling a steel bolt into the firing groove of his crossbow. He smiled to himself, thinking of the difference that two years could make.

No mist lay in the valley this time, and he could clearly see the squad of hammergoblins approaching. Smaller and more frail than the orcs, a crossbow bolt would reliably take them down. He checked his quiver, happy to see a full twenty-five bolts ready to find their place in the guts of the oncoming goblins. At his feet lay a bin with two hundred more. Whatever happened this battle, he would not run short of ammunition.

"Hold your fire until they get close." He said, turning to Umir. "Wait until they are on the bridge. You'll have a perfect shot then."

Umir nodded, sighting along the crossbow and waiting. Silvereye turned back to the goblins, who were cautiously advancing up the road, testing the steel blocks for traps with their hammers. As if we would need them, he thought. Traps would just mean fewer of them for us to kill.

Satisfied that there were no hidden blades embedded in the road, the guard leading the goblins stepped up the ramp to the bridge, standing just short of the dolomite slab as he raised his sword and pointed it menacingly at the open gate.

"Stand and fight, you cowards!" he bellowed. "Drag yourselves from the filthy hole you call your home and face us on the field of battle. Or are you too scared?"

Aiming carefully, Silvereye squeezed the firing lever and a steel bolt seemed to appear in the guard's throat, blood leaking through the torn iron of his neckguard.

"On the day you are brave enough to set foot across our bridge, I'll fight you on your terms." Silvereye responded, slotting another bolt into his crossbow as he heard Umir fire next to him. Bringing his crossbow up again, he fired into the crowd of hammergoblins, hearing a sharp cry of pain as it struck a goblin in the chest.

The motion is the same as at the archery range, he thought. Draw the bolt, squeeze to the shoulder to bring the string back, sight on the target, and exhale as the bolt leaves, flying true to punch through armor, skin, muscle, and bone. The goblins were advancing now, stepping onto the bridge, but the motion came easily to him, long hours of practice letting his arms move naturally though the different positions, his sights bracketing a different goblin each shot as they stood on the bridge, unable to avoid the rain of dwarven-forged steel. Without thinking he reached into the bin, drawing a new bundle of bolts to fill his quiver as the goblins broke and fled across towards the east.

"Who are the cowards now?" Silvereye shouted contemptuously as he loaded a new bolt and fired into the back of a running goblin, watching him pitch face-first to the ground and flop pitifully for a few seconds before lying still. In the mountains, he heard the goblin horn sound again, signaling retreat. He smiled, satisfied with the battle and the demonstration he had provided to Umir. But when he turned to congratulate the marksdwarf on his skill, he saw only the back of his armor, walking down the hall towards the drink stockpiles.

-----------
Pictures and movie up later. 36 goblins killed out of 48 engaged (the fourth squad retreated), not a bad ratio at all.

Movie available here. Pictures of the aftermath:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And Silvereye's kills during the second skirmish:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:36:37 pm by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 20, 2009, 04:35:25 pm »

Wow.  Hehe.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 20, 2009, 04:43:27 pm »

Armok is pleased with this recent offering. And there are surely more waiting to be proffered up to him by his faithful.

For Armok is the Patron God of any true warrior. We after all, make our living on blood. It is a mutual thing indeed.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 20, 2009, 05:02:37 pm »

Oh dammit. Looks like as soon as Silverye finally conquered his thirst, all the other marksdwarves under him became afflicted with the need to get a drink in the middle of battle.  :D

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2009, 02:48:14 pm »

We're not doing it on purpose, honest! Killing things just... you know, make us thirsty. <_< >_>
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 21, 2009, 03:52:58 pm »

"Kib Amkolrigoth The Fields of Scalding and Edzul Vabōkilir!" Announced Workerdrone, swinging back the heavy steel doors of the throne room, revealing to Kib's eyes the Duchess īton and Queen Vucar, both now looking towards the doorway framing her.

"My Queen!" Kib exclaimed, as the two armored dwarves promptly fell to one knee. "I had not realized that your Majesty had graced Lanternwebs with your presence."

"Rise, Kib." īton said. "What news do you bring us of Sosadcerol? How fared the battle? Are you the only two to return?"

"Sosadcerol still stands, my Lady." Kib replied. "Though the battle was fierce, and the trolls nearly took her, we arrived in time to defeat them."

"And the four who have not returned?" īton asked

"They live still, but have stayed to defend Sosadcerol from further attacks until my return."

"Your return?" Asked Vucar, leaning forward on her throne. "The battle is not over?"

"No, my Queen." Kib responded. "Though Sosadcerol is safe for now, they suffered many casualties, and will not be able to rebuild easily with the trolls continuing to attack. Thus, I was sent back to gather the Grand Army of Lanternwebs to march upon the fortress of the trolls and deal them a telling blow, one from which they cannot recover."

"Bringing the Grand Army to war?" Vucar mused. "I am hesitant to send the full army. What if we were to be attacked here while they were gone?"

"Your Majesty." īton interjected. "The Grand Army grows bored here, tired of their endless training when a dozen of our warriors can defeat the mightiest siege. I am sure that the majority of the Grand Army could be sent away while we remained perfectly safe here. How many trolls would we be fighting, Kib?"

"The Saramdumatian scouts reported hundreds, my Lady." Kib replied. "Each larger and stronger than an orc."

"Hundreds, you say." said the Queen. "And showing our support for our new allies will be critical to maintaining our ties. Very well. Muster the Grand Army. Take with you sixty Champions of Lanternwebs. Let us show these trolls what it means to make war on the dwarves."

"Yes, your Majesty." Kib said, bowing again as she turned and headed for the barracks.

---------------------
The next installment of the collaboration between Lanternwebs and Nilarzes, as well as a test of our method of simulating the Army Arc for the upcoming Dwarven Assault Force campaign against the orcs.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (To War!)
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2009, 04:21:13 pm »

Tell me. How is that you plan on simulating the Assault?

Perhaps I could lend my AsciiDraw talents to you? I have plenty of time to do so. I can pump out maybe forty pictures at most in a single day, and make them GOOD.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2009, 04:54:36 pm »

Tell me. How is that you plan on simulating the Assault?

Perhaps I could lend my AsciiDraw talents to you? I have plenty of time to do so. I can pump out maybe forty pictures at most in a single day, and make them GOOD.

I used Dwarf Companion to clone the assault force dwarves into adventure mode, where Flint will lead the "adventuring" party to glorious victory.
Try my orc mod!

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:06 pm »

I can't wait to read this battle....no really, I can't wait, give it to me now ;D

Epic battle + Epic writing + Epic AsciiArt = Epic win
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:35:07 pm by nichaey »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2009, 03:52:08 am »

God yes this'll be awesome. I hope for some dramatic deaths it's no fun everyone surviving all the time   :P

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2009, 03:43:31 pm »

Census for Lanternwebs, prepared in Autumn 115 by Endok Dedukrotod, Tax Collector

As autumn arrives, once again I tally the stocks of the fortress to provide a picture of our current state.
The entire fortress celebrates our new status as Mountainhome, and the prestige it brings. Artists in the former mountainhomes have even begun creating art to honor the founding of this fortress.

As the tax collector, however, I found myself in a rather awkward position. Not only is there no tax to collect from the fortress's inhabitants, but we now cannot pay tax to the Mountainhomes, either. I hadn't thought of it at all, to tell the truth, bringing a bin of our finest armor to the depot to pay our tax, and the merchants just stared at me.
I'll admit in hindsight that paying tax to ourselves makes very little sense, but I had only just gotten used to this way of paying taxes. I'm also now unfortunately at loose ends, since we now pay no tax at all.

Of course, Queen Vucar takes what she will from the fortress stores, but in that sense she is no different than a peasant, and hardly worth tracking except in that the stocks must be kept accurate, to avoid the horrible booze (and later food) shortages of earlier this year. The Queen had assumed that everything I had listed as "other food" was our prepared meals, without taking into account the eight hundred units of inedible food products that we had in storage, such as the quarry bush leaves and dwarven syrup.

The fortress's wealth has been greatly enhanced by Iton's road, half-complete though it is. Although the bricks have all been laid, we have begun to run low on gold for the statues. The Duke assures me that there is enough gold in the mountain, however, so I'm sure that it will eventually be completed. No word yet on Tosid's plans, other than a new batch of dolomite blocks hauled up to the stockpile by the forest entrance.

------------------
115 map available here.

I should be able to have an update with the status of all of the claimed dwarves up later, since I haven't done one of those in forever.

Flint: You'd be surprised at how hard it is to kill any of the Lanternwebs dwarves. You, for example, have legendary+11 axedwarf, legendary+5 shield user, and strength 6/agility 5/toughness 9, and those stats aren't out of the ordinary for the champions. I've made some changes to the orcs which will hopefully give them a bit of a boost, but they haven't shown up yet and it's astonishingly difficult to hit a legendary+5 shield user with anything, much less anything that will stick through exceptional steel plate and enough toughness that it might as well be regeneration. I've seen yellow wounds from sparring in the barracks heal on the way to lie down to rest.

...I wonder if I could use DC to raise invader's skill levels to the point where they are something other than mild annoyances...
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30