Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80078 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (A Call for Aid)
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2009, 06:00:02 pm »

If they dont have a preferences section they wont make mandates. I got that with my king too, not sure if its a bug.

I usually set up a lot of ranges, each separated by a thin wall, like this:

XXXXXXXXX
XAXAXAXAX
X  X  X X  X

With:
A - target
X- wall

Also make sure that they arent in a squad, that the archery range room effects dont overlap, declare a range from each target individually, and have huge bolt stacks (exp is gained for each bolt fired, not hit). If a range overlaps another target, the dwarves will still only allow one person to shoot at them at a time.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 14, 2009, 01:17:43 am »

Ah lads, it be time the Grand Army gave this moment in time to salute!

Aye indeed, its time Lanterwebs hails her Queen! Aye 'o! We set forth the march of time and arrived our Queen has! Aye 'o! Indeed our Queen is here at last! Aye 'o!

Time has come again, and battle will follow suit! But before our destiny's end meets Armok's tune, Hail Vucar! Queen of Lanternwebs and all of her holdings!

Greenskins beware! Ho! FOR LANTERNWEBS! CHARGE!

I think its time the Grand Army marshal a parade in Vucar's honor. We'll march in lines decked out in armour, right up the road, and hail her with Lanternweb's song.

Oh damn! Lanternwebs needs a battle song.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 14, 2009, 04:34:00 pm »

I say we use Chosen Ones by Dream Evil. Unless someone can write an awesome battle poem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko4Q0cgo1N8

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2009, 04:40:01 pm »

Sorry, I've already claimed We Are The Chosen Ones for my impromptu Black Templars theme song.

How about we just use The Trooper by Iron Maiden and call it a day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTaD9cd8hvw

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 14, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »

From the journal of Tosid Vodsazir, summer of 115
  The arrival of Her Majesty the Queen was unexpected, and the plans have been thrown into disarray. īton has insisted that the road be completed even faster now. Though we've finished paving the road itself, we've only just dug the magma channel and begun smoothing it, and we'll need to find more gold to complete the statues. The new workers need to be sorted out, the furniture needs to be forged, and Unib needs to be told, again, that he can't have his brass goblets until after the Queen has her throne. Even if he brings up how he was a child prodigy, again.

Flint has been exceptionally helpful, showing the Queen around while the furniture she ordered is completed. The work on her weapon racks was disrupted by one of our apprentice weaponsmiths, Medtob Momuztumam, who has locked himself in one of the forges and is demanding clear glass. I can sympathize with the need, of course, but he could have hardly chosen a worse time to be inspired.

Summer has come, which means that soon we will be dealing with the humans and the orcs as well on top of everything else. The humans will bring much-needed supplies, of course, but they will have to be protected from the orcs, and Flint already has his hands full. I know he's handed off supervising the new recruits to Workerdrone, but we'd likely have to find someone else to deal with the Queen if the orcs lay siege to us. I won't be able to do it, since I'm sure that the merchants will want to talk to me about what to bring next year, and I'm not sure if Workerdrone is up to the task of entertaining a royal couple that seems to be growing increasingly annoyed at their lack of furniture. Perhaps Skjald or Hat will be able to.

Workerdrone has also spoken to me about the possibility of creating a temple to the God of Blood. I've offered him a space in the communal worship room, which he eagerly took, but he's asked for a larger space away from the main worship hall for the Blood God's rituals. I can imagine such things becoming quite messy, but if the whispers in the mountain are to be believed I think I know the perfect place for it.

The humans come now, I can hear their wagons on the steel blocks of the road, so I must cut this entry short. Their arrival means that the orcs must be close, so I must go ask Flint what our defensive plan is this time.

----------------
I really should have prepared more for the Queen...

I'll have to listen to the proposed battle songs, but I've always thought of Lanternweb's song (though perhaps not battle song, unless the pipes were carved into the Unnameable Point and played over the sound of the killing of its foes. I wonder if I could build that....) to be something like Bach's Toccata in D minor (the first three minutes or so of this). Pipe organs in general seem like extremely dwarfy instruments, given their size, complexity, and awesomeness. Some of the foot pedals, for example, need to be pressed several seconds before the note is needed, because the pipes for the lowest notes need that long for the air to start producing the note.

You can also make magma organs (as a variant steam organs), which wins them bonus points for dwarvishness.

Edit: Both of those seem like they fit the attitude of the Lanternwebs Grand Army quite well  :). Of course, now I'm going to have to take Eagle's suggestion and compose a battle poem for Lanternwebs.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:09:14 pm by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 14, 2009, 06:51:26 pm »

You can also make magma organs...
Has this been done?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 14, 2009, 07:02:56 pm »

You can also make magma organs...
Has this been done?

The basic idea of an organ is that you're putting moving air through pipes. In real life I think that the closest that you get is pyrophones, where you use burning gas to move the air. Pipe organs use pressurized air, and steam organs use steam. A magma organ would work by either passing air over a bed of magma and allowing the hot air to rise through the pipes or by using the magma to boil water in a steam organ. I don't think that anyone has ever actually made a magma powered organ, though, since in real life it's a bit harder to handle magma than it is in DF.
Try my orc mod!

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 14, 2009, 09:13:47 pm »

wow,  the view at around 2:35-45 has to be one of the most dwarven things I've ever seen.

As for my preferences: pretty sweet
-doesn't often experience strong urges or cravings
-He often does the first thing that comes to mind
he's a schizophrenic, awesome

-he is not a risk taker
-he doesn't openly express feelings or emotions
-he is confident
he's a calculated, unreadable, confident schizophrenic....even awesomer

In other words, sounds like the perfect personality for Urist McFacebreaker

Just curious, but what is his squad name?
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »

"Here are the forges, Your Majesty." Flint said, leading Vucar into the heat of the forge level. Around them, the dull red glow of the magma forges cast everything in shades of black and red, shadows leaping from the piles of armor and weapons waiting to be stored sitting by the now-idle workshops.

"Normally, these forges are in operation nearly the entire day." Flint explained. "But now, with your arrival, they have been reserved for the finest craftsdwarves alone. Sarvesh is the only one of us with the skill to create furniture worthy of the Queen, and he is asleep right now, so they lie idle."

A dwarf scuttled past them, clutching a piece of leather tightly to his chest. He quickly ran into one of the forges to deposit his burden, and then scuttled out again.

"You there!" the Queen demanded. "Why are you using the forges?"

The dwarf ignored her, brushing past Vucar and Flint to climb the stairs again.

"Ah, except for him." Flint said, toning his voice to combat the look of shocked indignation on the Queen's face. "Every once in a while, a dwarf will get an all-consuming idea, and go on to produce something much finer than even our best craftsdwarves can create. In the lower passageway, we have a vault of them, which I can show you if you'd like. Whenever someone gets in a mood like that, we just give them whatever they need and let them be until they've returned."

Above them, a long horn blast sounded, the note distinct but muted by the layers of rock and soil between them and the surface. The note was harsh and dissonant, grating on the ears and setting hair on end.

"If you will excuse me for a moment, your Majesty." Flint said apologetically, before leaning into the stairway and bellowing up it. "Tooninator! Muster a squad up and deal with those goblins, will you? Just make sure none of the recruits gets hurt while you aren't watching them spar!"

"A goblin attack?" Vucar asked, he face now showing concern. "Hadn't you better order everyone inside and lead the army against them?"

"Your Majesty, I assure you that you overestimate the threat they pose." Flint said, chuckling a little. "The Grand Army of Lanternwebs has defeated goblin sieges with as few as half a dozen men. The greatest risk is that someone will hurt themselves sparring in the barracks while we're off dealing with them. Goblins are laughable compared to the orcs, though we've not seen them in a full year now."

"I only hope your confidence is not misplaced. Who will The Tooninator bring with him?"

"His second in command, Workerdrone, almost certainly. One or two other experienced fighters, and perhaps some of the new recruits, for training purposes."

"Training against a goblin siege? That seems extremely dangerous"

"There's no better way to learn, your Majesty." Flint chuckled again. "Every dwarf in the Grand Army needs to be able to look an enemy in the eye, and know that their foe will try their hardest to slay them, without flinching. The Orcs are born with it, but we have to learn it. Now, if you'll follow me towards the back, where the glass furnaces are, we can continue the tour."

---------------
Why are there goblins in the way of the summer Orc siege?
Four squads: three of speargoblins, one of hammergoblins:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully we'll get more than 50% casualties this time. At least there will be blood.

Nichaey: Glad you like the preferences. They hadn't struck me as particularly warrior-like, but I can certainly write him as a calculated schizophrenic facebreaker. He's part of the siege defence force, so he should be introduced in the next few updates. His squad is "The Plain Doors", so it's unlikely that he'll be given command of the squad.

Working on some Lanternwebs battle poetry, and will probably have it ready for the next Orc siege. Goblins aren't worthy of it.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »

Battle poetry...as long as it isn't Haiku, please, it doesn't seem rightly bad ass that way.

But speaking of battle songs, I admit now, Metal may not be the best thing, and I didn't really want anything Gothic in tone, I know, out of character for me.

But more of an Irish tune.

Please, listen to this, you'll shit bricks. It is very nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBF-3DgciSc&feature=related

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2009, 04:04:26 pm »

"Hold!" said the Tooninator, raising his hand and peering around the corridor. "We'll wait here for the goblins to come in, while Silvereye and Umir fill them with bolts crossing the bridge. Once they turn the corner, WHAM! Dead goblins. Good training for the recruits."

Nichaey nodded beneath his helm, his steel pick clenched tightly. In the tight corridor, the goblin's long spears would be clumsy while the dwarven solders would be unhindered. His pick, especially, was just the right length for the height of the ceiling. The goblins would feel his pick soon enough, he knew, despite Workerdrone's grumbling about rushing forward to glorious battle. Whether the battle happened in the corridors or in the field, the battle would happen.

Outside, the only sign that the dwarves had noticed the goblin horn was the golden chain that now lay empty in the center of the gold and steel road. Normally, a guard bull was chained there to ward off thieves, but today there would be no thieves. Today, the goblins chose to fight like solders rather than skulking in the shadows. Today, the goblins bravely announced their presence and marched forth with armor and weapons that were little more than toys. Today, the goblins would water the ground with their blood.

In front of him, he saw an armored dwarf walk past on the road, his visor open, idly humming and twirling one of the hammers that the weaponsmiths-in-training had been crafting day and night, constantly re-forging and re-melting them as they learned their trade. He nudged Workerdrone, his squad leader.

"Hey, is he supposed to be out there?" Nichaey asked, pointing to the dwarf on the road.

There was a brief, but intense, burst of whispering between The Tooninator and Workerdrone, before The Tooninator called out.

"Hey! You there! Why are you away from your post?"

The dwarf kept walking, oblivious, and crossed the bridge.

"What is he thinking, that merely being in Lanternwebs makes him a great warrior?" The Tooninator muttered under his breath, before he turned to address Workerdrone.

"You wanted to rush the goblins in the field?" He asked. "Now's your chance. He's going to need rescuing as soon as those goblins catch up to him. Fall back to here when you're done."

Workerdrone straightened quickly, motioning the rest of his squad forward into the brightness of the summer sun as the ran after the errant hammerdwarf.

The expected cry of alarm sounded as Workerdrone crossed the bridge, looking down to see the hammerdwarf tackled by one of the goblin wrestlers as the speargoblins from the first squad moved in to surround him.

Workerdrone ran ahead, knowing that a dwarf inexperienced enough to be tackled like that wouldn't last long in a fight against a full squad of goblins. He drew his sword as he ran, watching the dwarf below him strike a blow on the wrestler and get to his feet and retreat towards the brook.

The wrestler was stunned, but not injured by the blow, gave chase, tackling the dwarf again in the shallow water of the brook, holding his arm until another wrestler could sweep the dwarf's legs from under him, sending him splashing into the brook. Though he tried to stand, a third wrestler had grabbed his legs while the first of the speargoblins stabbed at him, the goblin-forged iron point bending ineffectively against dwarven steel. But the dwarf was pinned well, and his struggles succeeded only in churning the water around him as the goblin leader, wielding an enormous maul, stepped through the ranks of his spearweilders and raised the hammer high, letting it fall with a resounding clang on the hammerdwarf's chestplate like a forge hammer striking steel.

Within the prison of his armor, Ast Imeshdastot gasped for breath, coughing violently as pain shot through his lungs and blood flew from his mouth to spatter the inside of his helm. He could feel the dent in his armor like a great weight against his chest, crushing the air from his lungs. His arms lay pinned to the streambed by wrestlers, his hammer and shield useless as he saw the maul rise again, this time to bash its spiked iron head against his visor. He heard the steel shriek as it gave way, and felt his bones yield to the overwhelming weight, before there was nothing.

--------------
First of two updates today, I'm rolling the things I had planned for yesterday into the update for today, but it's really getting too long.

I'm not sure at all what the dwarf was thinking. Nobody should be wielding hammers, it was long after everyone from the migrant wave was inside, and he didn't even react to the goblins until they were on top of him.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2009, 04:23:32 pm »

WorkerDrone, Berserker, has flown into a bloody rage!

"Vengeance is mine!" Only then did it dawn on the Greenskins their folly, for there would be no escaping this Dwarf's wrath. "Let it flow in rivers! Blood For The Blood God!..." The dwarf had met the first of the enemy Greenskins, his sword cleaving flesh from bone, spilling even more blood to go with the recent Dwarven blood spilled. "...Skulls For The Skull Throne!"

And terror exuded, in rough patches from his body, and sweat made of ire and fear weaved its way around the Greenskin's nostrils as sooner his skull was butted roughly off his head with shield.

And with every pace even more blood was shed!

*Slapped*

Oh I'm sorry. Hehehe. Your the one writing the story. Carry on. *Backs out of the thread slowly*
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:25:17 pm by WorkerDrone »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2009, 05:02:29 pm »

Ahead, Workerdrone saw the crowd of goblins ripple and part to reveal the mangled body of the hammerdwarf, his blood leaving misty red trails in the clear water. He saw the foul goblin leader raise his maul in victory, the spiked head slick with blood and speckled with white bone. He saw the goblin begin to turn, to urge his army toward the gates that still stood open. He saw the end of the spit of sandy clay that he had been running along and leapt, his legs sending him flying through the air towards those who had murdered a dwarf of Lanternwebs.

He landed with his feet planted firmly on the chestplate of the surprised goblin leader, the weight of dwarf and armor driving him to the ground before a powerful upwards slash sent the limp body flying, leaving a trail of blood hanging in the air before crashing into the far side of the valley with a crunch. Not pausing, he stepped forward to bathe his sword in the blood of a wrestler, the arms still futility scrabbling for purchase on his polished armor as the eyes dimmed and the head sagged, redness gushing from the stomach and staining the brook crimson as it frothed with his rapid and heavy steps.

He spread his arms wide, as if inviting the dozen goblins in front of him to try their luck against him, as he saw another armored dwarf charge into the side of the goblins, sending bodies and limbs flying as his axe flashed in precise arcs. His heart pounded in his chest, not with fear or anger but with the joy of battle.

Beneath that, though, he felt something else, an older, deeper feeling. A calling from the dawn of time, from the time when the blood of the dwarves and the blood of the mountains was one and the same. He could feel the ancient power of dwarven blood welling up inside him, lending him the strength of the mountains and the fury of their magma blood. He saw a speargoblin charge him, the point held rigidly in front of her as he caught the point on his shield, turning the goblin with her momentum and feeling a strange rush as his sword slid wetly though flesh to release Armok's holy water from its prison and let it flow upon the ground.

Armok! The name had been passed in hushed whispers from parent to child since the dawn of time. An ancient god, a god of blood and chaos, death and destruction, but also a god of life and growth, of love and emotion, of all things that were driven by the vital spark of His holy red water. It was said that the power of Armok flowed strongest in the dwarves, that He favored them most of all, and that He could inspire them to feats unmatched by any other. But Armok was not a god to be chosen and worshiped in the hope that He would favor the faithful. Armok chose his worshipers, drove them until they glowed with inner power or lay like cinders on the ground, inspired them to unmatched feats or let his power dance within their skulls as they descended gibbering into insanity.

And now, Workerdrone felt the hot glow of Armok's power rushing through his veins. His sword and shield seemed weightless, his armor merely the shell that would contain his power and trap his skin, so that it would not be torn away from within by the glow. The goblins before him were but offerings that he could make to sate the hungry god, blood that had been wasted in life and must now be released in sacrifice that it might be reborn in a creature more worthy of life. He heard himself shouting orders, but did not understand them. He felt his sword moving, the blade cutting through goblin chain armor as easily as it did their flesh, each stroke staining the sword a bright and moist red before the speed of its travel swept it clean for the next stroke.

The goblins on the east slopes had reached the valley, and he turned to charge them, his blood driving him onward without thought or pause. He reached them and his blood pounded through him, bringing him rhythm as he danced to the glory of Armok and all who serve Him, the sword dipping into each goblin vessel and anointing the dwarven warriors with blood as he spun and dodged, thrust and cut, danced and sang in a language older than the world itself.

At last, the heat in his veins subsided, his sword stilled, and he was left, surrounded by his squad but still feeling alone. Around him, the dull earth was stained bright with the blood of slain goblins, the warriors covered in sprays of red, slowly drying to brown. Breathing heavily, Workerdrone lifted his sword.

"Fall back!" He said, his voice strangely hoarse. "Fall back to the gates. Let the greenskins come to us!"

-----------------
Movie available here.

Workerdrone: The poetry I was thinking of was going to be more in the vein of Norse or Celtic epics, in terms of lots of recounting of past victories and urging the foes to face them with honor, and such like that. Not Haiku at all.

Fake edit: I was warned when trying to post this that there had been a new post. Kind of odd how closely they line up in intent.

Real edit: fixed grammar errors.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:24:44 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2009, 05:15:31 pm »

How could that dwarf be so oblivous?  Hmpf.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2009, 06:05:31 pm »

I'm not a n00b...YOU ARE TEH NOOB.

And yes, yes awesome, epic indeed update.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:09:40 pm by WorkerDrone »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30