Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80104 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (A Call for Aid)
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2009, 03:27:24 pm »

Wizardmon ran forward, his sword held high as he charged behind Workerdrone. Around him, his father's armor flowed with him, the quality of the smithing and long hours of training in the barracks letting him stride forward as if he was wearing no armor at all. But the thick steel plates had deflected many an orcish weapon that would otherwise have slain him. Though the foes that now threatened Lanternwebs were goblins rather than orcs, he was still glad of the comforting tightness of the straps around his arms and legs, holding the armor tightly to him as he ran towards the first goblin squad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As he drew near, he lowered his shield to take the first hammerblow and twisted, setting up to spin with the force of the blow and strike with his sword at the goblin's exposed back as they passed, a maneuver that he had perfected fighting the orcs. When the expected strike glanced weakly off his shield, he staggered, his feet already in position to launch himself off of a heavy blow. The sword swung low and severed the goblin's left leg at the hip, Wizardmon already swinging his shield arm behind him to avoid a retaliatory strike as he turned to deliver a finishing blow.

To his surprise, the goblin lay on the ground, its eyes rolling into its head as it clutched its bleeding stump, its hammer lying forgotten on the ground next to it. Beneath his helm, Wizardmon chuckled. How could the goblins hope to assault Lanternwebs, he thought, when the Orcs had failed so many times? How could they set off to battle, knowing that they would die whimpering on the ground? The orcs at least had honor, of a sort, and could be counted on to go down fighting like dwarves, not lying helplessly on the ground. As he turned to wade into the remaining goblins, his chuckle grew to a laugh, thundering out of his mouth as his sword swung without hesitation, barely bothering to deflect the goblin's attempts to penetrate armor that could shrug off all but the mightiest of the orcs. Before him, the goblins broke and scattered, fleeing back to whatever foul place they had been hiding in before coming to throw themselves at the might of Lanternwebs as Wizardmon's triumphant laughter echoed through their ears to settle in their dreams.

A dwarven battlecry from the plateau brought Wizardmon quickly back to reality, concern that Astesh would be fighting without him spurring his legs into motion as he ran towards the upper entrance.

------------
Rysith cancels  post update: Interrupted by work. But, that's over now. Sorry for the wait.

Fighting things that actually give in to pain when you cut their limbs off is weird after getting used to the orcs. The dead dwarf in the picture above is another baby dwarf carried into battle, which I really should try to avoid more. Video up later tonight. I'm slow. Video available here. I have no idea why they scattered, either.

And WorkerDrone, are you trying to start a Cthulu blood cult within the Lanternwebs Grand Army?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:21:25 am by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2009, 05:48:23 pm »

What are these false gods you speak of? Cthulhu? No!

There is only Armok! Armok is Battle! Armok is War! Armok is Blood!

Armok demands his Tithes...in blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for his Skull Throne!

(No Cthulhu. However, I have started the makings of a rather heinous and gruesome Blood Cult of Armok among my fellow soldiers.)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:57 pm »

so, any news on my dwarf? he'll probably decorate his room, if he gets one, with glass items, and a glass door.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »

so, any news on my dwarf? he'll probably decorate his room, if he gets one, with glass items, and a glass door.

He hasn't done anything yet, since almost no time has passed yet for him. He definitely has a room (each dwarf has a 3x1 or 3x1 + 1 engraved room), so I can certainly stick some glass items in there.

(No Cthulhu. However, I have started the makings of a rather heinous and gruesome Blood Cult of Armok among my fellow soldiers.)

Alright, I'll try to work that in.
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »

HULK SMASH!

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2009, 12:52:29 am »

i was talking about his info, like you've posted for others.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2009, 09:08:33 am »

i was talking about his info, like you've posted for others.
Rivesand: I'm almost tempted to let tempered clear glass be made into crossbows, just for him.

Though you probably missed it since I edited it in later. Sorry for not drawing more attention to it.
Try my orc mod!

Wizardmon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28:03 pm »

Beneath his helm, Wizardmon chuckled.  his chuckle grew to a laugh, thundering out of his mouth as his sword swung without hesitation, barely bothering to deflect the goblin's attempts to penetrate armor that could shrug off all but the mightiest of the orcs. Before him, the goblins broke and scattered, fleeing back to whatever foul place they had been hiding in before coming to throw themselves at the might of Lanternwebs as Wizardmon's triumphant laughter echoed through their ears to settle in their dreams.

Brought a tear of joy to my right eye. :)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2009, 12:42:55 pm »

Thanks, i didn't see it, my mistake, and i'm glad that he has a liking of a glass type.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2009, 04:10:16 pm »

Silvereye grumbled quietly to himself as he trudged down the corridor after Astesh. He knew it was a great honor to have been chosen by Tosid for this duty, and that it meant that Tosid trusted his skills. But then Workerdrone had assigned him to be goblin bait. Didn't he know that the marksdwarf's place was behind the fortifications, not out taunting things?

He took comfort in Tosid's unspoken approval, though. Tosid always seemed to have vast, far-reaching plans that took everything into account, and that he was part of them meant that he was part of the plans of the future of Lanternwebs. He had reached the bottom of the great spiral now, and stepped into the central staircase to begin the long climb to the forest gate. His crossbow bumped gently into his back with each step upward, the oak stock swinging on its cotton shoulder strap. Flint had had the recruits run exercises on these steps, five hundred stair steps to the top and a long corkscrew back to the bottom. Now, he wished that he had spent longer training on the stairs rather than jumping at the chance to move immediately to crossbow training, his legs aching as the weight of the armor seemed to grow with each step. At last, he reached the top of the stairway, passed Tosid's stockpile of carefully stacked dolomite blocks, and stepped out into the sunlight of the Forest of Funerals.

Drawing and loading his crossbow, Silvereye joined Astesh on the bridge. She had been a serious child, and had grown up into a serious dwarf. Even now, she stood with her sword drawn and her shield up as she stared at the base of the mountains.

"There they are." She said, pointing next to the chasm at a dull iron cap just visible over an outcropping of rock. "Just sitting out there, waiting for something."

"Hah!" replied Silvereye. "Scared is more like it. I'll bet I can put my bolt through his helmet from here."

"No." cautioned Astesh. "Workerdrone said that we are to be bait, and bait does not bite back until the trap is sprung. We have to wait to draw them into the fortress."

"They'd come running for us if I fired a shot at them, I'm sure." Said Silvereye, but he lowered his crossbow.

Below them, they heard Workerdrone shout for a charge, and the sounds of battle drifted up towards them.

"We should be down there, helping them." Silvereye said. "What if they can't fight off the goblins, and they all die because we're sitting up here?"

"We are helping." Astesh responded. "What would happen if these goblins followed us down, to join the ones already in the valley? If sixteen can defeat four, surely thirty-two can defeat six."

A soft sound of shifting rock behind him made Silvereye turn, and he looked up the slope behind him to see the third squad of goblins stealthily edging their way down towards the two of them on the bridge. He quickly nudged Ashtesh and fired, the steel bolt lodging itself firmly in the arm of one of the goblins. Silvereye reached into his quiver for a second bolt, but his grasping fingers discovered only that the quiver was empty. The single bolt that he had brought was now bounding towards him, attached to a goblin arm holding a sword.

The world was unfair, thought Silvereye. Ashtesh never had to worry about reloading her weapon. Flint didn't have to make sure he had grabbed a steel axe rather than a bone or wooden one. Their weapons and training didn't become useless at crucial moments in battle, when they needed them the most. He could feel his anger building inside him, bursting through his normal tension to replace nervous jitters with white-hot rage, rage that he focused on the first goblin wrestler to reach him as he drove the butt of his crossbow through the goblin's face with both hands.

This! This is what they must feel like! Silvereye thought to himself as he bellowed an echoing dwarven warcry, lashing out with a gauntleted hand to knock a swordsgoblin to the ground before bringing his crossbow overhead to crush its chest. Full of anger, full of adrenaline, without fear, without pain. Nothing but a weapon and invaders to use it on, each blow bringing a crunch of shattered bone and a spray of spilled blood, satisfaction rising with each enemy slain or sent fleeing before him. Looking up from the mangled goblin below him, he could already see them fleeing into the forests, Ashtesh in pursuit. His rage drove him forward, his crossbow swinging to snap the neck of a fleeing wrestler as his vision cleared and the anger left him, trembling slightly as he caught his breath and watched the remaining goblins flee into the deep forest, the corpses of their comrades littering the ground behind them.

---------------
Silvereye really needs to learn to carry more than one bolt at a time. I keep designating all of the single bolts for melting, but he seems to be able to find the one that I've missed.

Movie up later tonight, or possibly tomorrow morning.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2009, 04:20:42 pm »

The sound of battle calls to me.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2009, 04:26:08 pm »

Hehe. Maybe its time for me to switch careers and become a hammerdwarf. I have the same problem with all my marksdwarves too; they go out for 3 seconds, then run back in for fresh bolts.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2009, 03:30:16 pm »

Apparently, getting ripshit pissed still works rather well against gobbos, at least for the average Lanternwebs soldier's safety.

I'm thinking about asking for a dwarf, but not sure... are there any weapon groups that are being specifically avoided for the military?
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2009, 05:09:43 pm »

Tosid stood waiting at the entrance with Kel as the six warriors returned.

"A fine performance." Tosid said as they entered.

"Fine?" muttered Workerdrone. "Fine? We slew barely more than twenty of them. That means that more than half escaped death! All because the goblins wouldn't stick to my plan. Ungrateful greenskins."

"You see, Kel?" Tosid said, turning to the diplomat. "Six warriors against fifty, and they return without a scratch lamenting only that their foes fled before they could kill more than half of them. We'll send six dwarves along, lead by our own Kib Amkolrigoth the Fields of Scalding. They'll get an idea of what we'll need to do to drive off these trolls, and come back to get more of the army if it's needed."

"Many thanks to you, Lady Gimgoden, and to you, Tosid, for your aid." Kel said. "If ever there is a service that the Great Roughness can perform for you, do not hesitate to ask."

-------------
Maverick: Lanternweb's military is composed of Axedwarves and Swordsdwarves (just over 30 each), with (I think) 6 marksdwarves mixed in. No hammers, maces, spears, or unarmed (since their effect on orcs is somewhat lacking). However, if you wanted a specific weapon I'd be able to make and train that for you without a problem, as long as you were willing to be trained up from zero skill.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2009, 06:11:21 pm »

The problem with using spears is that they happen to be only useful for large targets, and the problem with maces and hammers is that its more of a jar and bashing weapon, where any Orc can take a knock to the noggin easily. The only really effective way to disarm an Orc in battle, and therefore set him up to be killed, is to LITERALLY disARM him.

Axes and most certainly Swords are for true great at this task.

Also, my character sounds dangerously like me. I get into a fight and the only thing I can complain about is that I didn't score nearly as many kills as I would have wanted.

This displeases Armok. We must spill more blood.

Blood for the Blood God!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30