Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80105 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (The Orcs are Back!)
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2009, 11:30:21 am »

FOR LANTERNWEBS! RAWR!
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2009, 01:25:41 pm »

Great job Rysith. Keep it up!
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2009, 01:13:42 am »

Flint Dakaskûbuk strode quickly through the doors to the barracks, followed by the champions returning from their vigil over the battlefield. Below them, the forges already glowed red as the orcish equipment was fed in, white-hot metal flowing to be smelted from black orcish iron to gleaming dwarven steel. Steel that would cover the bodies and fill the hands of the recruits from the new arrivals.

The less experienced soldiers looked up from their sparring as the champions entered. Flint quickly strode to the back of the room, rapping his gauntlet on the dolomite wall for attention.

"Soldiers of Lanternwebs! Each and every one of you have fought well, and bravely, this month! All of you contributed to the defense of Lanternwebs, and because of those contributions the Orcish menace has been repelled once again."

"As in any battle, there are some who distinguished themselves more, who's contribution, heroism, and bravery surpasses all others, and deserve special recognition. The first of our warriors that I will honor today is Kulet Idendesis, an axedwarf who gave his life in exchange for the life of Zolak Bembosu, who lead the orc crushers against us. It was because of Kulet's sacrifice that Zolak was unable to flee the battlefield, and will never again threaten us. Zolak's corpse will rot in the sun, and his bones will train our marksdwarves, while Kulet's body will rest forever in glory within the Warrior's Tomb. All Hail Kulet Idendesis, Axedwarf of Lanternwebs!"

"Hail!" echoed the soldiers.

"There were four other dwarves who distinguished themselves in battle through skill at arms on the field of battle. Those four may now take the position of Hero of Lanternwebs, and call themselves by the titles that they have earned. Step forward now. Nish Imkeskal, Tekkud Okuniden, Tirist Stettadamost, and Kadol Vucararoth."

Kadol stepped forward nervously, the tiled dolomite floor of the barracks seeming to stretch away from her as she took her first step. The heavy steel of her armor restricted her as she took her next step, the weight threatening to unbalance her as she tried to cross the leagues that stretched between her and Flint. She could see Nish and Tekkud striding away confidently in front of her, their armor carried easily by long practice.

A heavy, but comforting, hand fell on her shoulder. "Don't be nervous. Everyone was a recruit once." said Tirist in her ear, the champion speaking in barely a whisper, so that only Kadol could hear. "It's a great thing that you've proven yourself this early. Everyone is proud of you this day". Tirist's hand continued to guide Kadol forward, gently but firmly, until she had reached Nish and Tekkud and bent to kneel before Flint.

"This battle, each of these warrior's actions have proven their courage, skill at arms, and heroism beyond a doubt." Said Flint, his calm and authoritative voice filling the room. "As you rise, remember your titles, and honor the deeds for which you have earned them. Rise, Nish Imkeskal, the Carnal Gift of Braiding. Rise, Tekkud Okuniden, the Fright of Lulling. Rise, Tirist Stettadamost, the Imperial Amazements. Rise, Kadol Vucararoth, the Infallible Nature of Savagery."

As he spoke their names, Flint touched each of them on the helm with the flat of his axe blade. The soft sound as the gleaming weapon touched each armored head seeming to hang in the still air as he spoke each title.

"All hail the heroes of Lanternwebs, and welcome to those who now join their ranks!" Boomed Flint, as the four dwarves stood before him with pride.

"All Hail!" shouted the assembled dwarves.

------------------
Lots of new dwarves to introduce this time!

First: Thuellai. He's the only military dwarf who likes silver. I don't have any hammerdwarves (since broken bones do approximately nothing to orcs). He's a legendary shield user, legendary swordsdwarf, expert armor user, skilled wrestler. He's also currently resting in bed with a yellow arm wound, but he's superdwarvenly tough so he should be fine soon enough.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second, the nobles.
The Baroness Countess (Yeah, the upgrade happened before I took the screenshots)

The Count Consort

The Hammerer

The Tax Collector

Edit: grammar, phrasing, and some gender confusion.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:31:41 pm by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2009, 09:17:24 am »

Oh no.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2009, 03:37:45 pm »

Great job with Flint's speech. Just one tiny thing...

the tiled dolomite floor of the barracks seeming to stretch away from him as she took her first step

And... nobles?!? Gah.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2009, 04:27:29 pm »

Personal letter from the Countess îton Gimgoden to Queen Lektadlòr, Spring 113

My Queen,
  First, let me assure you that the traders were not exaggerating the wealth and splendor of Lanternwebs. On my arrival, I found half a dozen dwarves in masterwork steel armor waiting to greet me and my entourage, and the sights that i saw upon reaching the fortress were no less splendid. Their entrance is flanked by two exceptionally carved dolomite statues, one displaying Tosid and one displaying you. Tosid is shown peering into the distance, his hand to his brow, a mechanic's hammer in his other hand. You are shown standing regally with your scepter and crown, your gaze piercing the soul of any that walk through the gates. The masons responsible seem to have caught every strand of hair, every wrinkle of fabric and frozen it in the white stone, my words alone cannot do them justice.

My chambers, too, are furnished with the same quality of goods. I requested some basic furnishings for my rooms, and they brought me chests, cabinets, weapon racks, and armor stands, all masterfully crafted from steel! Can you imagine? They are wealthy enough here they they can outfit all of their soldiers in steel plate and still have enough left over to make furniture out of it!

Everywhere here is the same wealth of craftsdwarfship. Even the lowliest of peasants has soft cotton clothing, matching what nobles in the mountainhomes would wear. I asked their weaver, Iteb, how they could afford so much cotton, and he said "If we didn't make clothes out of it, it would just rot in the fields." They wear expertly tailored, finely-colored clothing because they don't have anything else!

Just this month, I saw one of their woodcrafters start gathering materials for two days. Two days! He produced the most exquisite chestnut ring I have ever seen, the gem a black obsidian with a detailed image of your crowning carved into it, and with a piece of cave spider silk behind it so that when you hold it up to the light you can see mountains in the distance. The gem is bracketed with two purring maggots carved out of birch with such detail that you can see the individual facets of their eyes. The band is made of bands of leather, steel, and oak, all masterfully braided together around the chestnut base. Can you imagine a thing like that being made in the mountainhomes? It would be the prize of the entire court. The dwarves here admired it for a bit, when they heard his triumphant cry, and took it off to a vault. This kind of thing happens frequently enough that they have a whole vault for things like this!

Lanternwebs is not without its flaws, though, if I seem to have drunk a bit too much sunshine before writing this. For one, there is no system for justice in place, no jail, and no guards. Their mayor tried to reassure me that there was no need for such things here, and that the military did a more than adequate job of protecting everyone, but I'm not convinced. There was also a terrible smell wafting up from the lower levels, which they claimed was only because they had been so busy cleaning outside they they couldn't clean inside, but I can't believe that any cleaning outside would be large enough to occupy them all for any length of time.

Likot seems pleased with her posting here, as you predicted. The lack of an organized justice system has put her quite at ease, and she's become quite the fixture in the communal dining room, telling the children stories of our history and legends and sharing drinks with the older dwarves. She'll be happy here, I'm sure, and it was only at her urging that I didn't push harder for a guard here. She insists that the best way to dispense justice is to smile and make everyone happy, that way there are no criminals, and no need for the guard. Here, I suppose, we will be able to put her theory to the test.

Endok, though, seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Who can blame her? How do you lay a tax on a place so free with its riches as Lanternwebs? There are fine meals sitting in the storerooms, fine clothing sitting in the clothier's shop, gem encrusted furniture sitting in the workshops, all free for the taking. The rooms are like palaces, their walls covered in fine engravings. If the tax was levied, where could it stop? Where could it start? The mayor has been remarkably understanding, though, offering Endok a fine room and anything that she might need, even though her services are not required here.

Spring is coming to a close, and I and my husband have settled in nicely here. There is an air of tension that I can feel creeping through the fortress as the days grow hotter, but I haven't been able to ask anyone about it. I'm sure that it has little to do with our arrival, though. Everyone has been nothing but kind and polite to us, and the rooms that we have been given would seem more than adequate even for someone of your stature. Now, this letter must draw to a close as well. I hope it finds you in good health and high spirits.

Your faithful subject,
Countess îton Gimgoden

Edit: Grammar and phrasing
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:34:51 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (Now with more nobles)
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »

Personal Log, Spring, 113, 'WorkerDrone':

Zerstörung der Grünhäute.

Blade zu Herz-, Hals-Haft zu.

Feuer, sagt die Scharfschützen.

Orc, immer getötet.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2009, 08:44:32 pm »

Tosid and Unib Keskalerib stood on the packed red sand floor, looking out over the pit. Rising out of it were eight tall polished steel pillars, masterfully carved grates held tightly to their sides by intricate clockwork. The pit was easily wide enough to swallow a wagon, and stretched the full length of the main entranceway. Below the surface, sheer dolomite walls fell thirty feet to a smooth dolomite floor, the carefully-fitted white tiles blending invisibly together into a smooth white plain.

"All I'm saying is that it was a slight miscalculation." Tosid was saying, "The pumps don't drain fast enough, so the water backs up and they stay open. I already know how to fix it, just a matter of a few more mechanisms."

"That's all well and good," said Unib, the mayor of Lanternwebs, "But when can we use the entrance again? How safe can we feel, knowing that the floor might drop away at any moment?"

On one of the eight steel pillars, a cat hissed into the gap, its back arched as it glared down at the floor that had suddenly abandoned it. On the floor below, four hundred and twenty tiles, indistinguishable from any of their neighbors, snapped back with blinding speed as a forest of polished steel spikes rose quickly from the floor, impaling an imaginary horde of trapped invaders. The cat leapt back from the edge of its pillar, barely avoiding a long fall off the opposite side.

"Oh, don't worry about that." Replied Tosid, "As long as the main floodgates are closed, so should the grates. I've sent someone to pull the lever and close them, and the water should be drained any moment now. They're perfectly solid, you've been walking on them for years now."

With a snap, obsidian grates swung upwards from their positions along the pillars and outside walls, covering the pit in a checkerboard of black stone and empty space. Far below, the spikes withdrew into the floor as quickly as they had emerged. A few whistles of appreciation rose from the tunnel to the barracks, where training had been paused at the noise.

"I may have been walking on them for years, but I didn't know they were liable to disappear at any moment!' Unib said angrily. "What if one of your mechanisms should fail, what then? A dwarf dead because you needed to convert the main entrance into a, a, a deathtrap!?"

The cat pawed the stone grate cautiously, as if expecting it to change its mind and suddenly disappear again. Eying it suspiciously, it placed its front paws on the surface of the grate just as white dolomite grates snapped upwards to fill the empty spaces in the grid. Again, the cat lept backwards at the sudden movement. The grates seemed to provide a solid floor, though, and the cat quickly scampered across them to the safety of the red sand.

"Nonsense! I'd never make a mechanism that could fail." Tosid responded indignantly. "Besides, they've been hooked up to the mechanisms for a good six months already, I just needed to seal up the plumbing and find a good time to test it. No accidents so far. Just tell everyone to stay out of the spike pit and away from the entrance if we ever need to use it during an attack. I'll have them opening and closing like they should in no time at all, don't you worry."

Somehow, thought Unib, having them open and close the way that they should wasn't any more comforting than having them open and close at all.

-------------
Phase one complete, aside from the minor tuning to get it to alternate correctly! Once I get that in, I'll put up a movie of it. A technical diagram: Technical diagram replaced with screenshot.

The entrance corridor (a 5x10 area) is now fully rigged with grates that, with the pull of a lever, will open and close in such a way that there will always be a path into the fortress, but never a "safe" path: all of the Obsdian grates are linked to one trigger, and all of the Dolomite grates are linked to another, so that only one set is closed at a time, and they alternate as fast as grates trigger (10 step delay). So, an enemy attempting to cross the entrance will be forced onto the currently-solid grates, which will toggle at some point during the crossing and drop them into the spikes, which completely cover the bottom of the pit, and are also hooked up to an alternator so that pulling the lever causes them to cycle up and down until the lever is deactivated. The pit and the beginnings of the spikes can be seen in the images back here, and once I remember to do it I'll be uploading a current map to the DFMA.

As if that weren't enough, the only exit from the pit leads to the barracks, and there are fortifications in the second level for marksdwarves to shoot into the pit (if, for whatever odd reason, everything in the pit isn't dead from the spikes).

Given that I'm quite happy with the military's performance thus far, it's unlikely that the deathtrap will ever see use in anger. I had originally designed it when I wasn't sure if it would be practical to raise an army that could confidently engage the orcs, as a horribly overcomplicated dwarven deathtrap to deal with the sieges (or at least stun them with the drop to give my military an edge). Somewhere in there Tosid went secretive and I decided to throw in a bit of fluid logic and insanity, just for fun, and keep building it even after the military proved that it could fight the orcs on even footing. I'm quite satisfied with the results.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:24:45 am by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2009, 05:02:49 pm »

His lungs burned. His legs ached. His head hurt. Each stride felt as though it would be his last, his limbs collapsing to jelly and sending him crashing into the yellow grass and brown clay that he ran over. He reached to his belt and grasped his waterskin, pulling it to his lips and drinking the warm fluid without slowing his run. Just a sip, or he knew he would have add stomach cramps to his list of ailments. Water splashed down the front of his cotton shirt, soaking it and making it cling to his skin. The wind of his movement cooled his body, a comforting feeling in the summer heat. He kept running, pressing on over the rolling hills of dried grass, heading North. Heading for Lanternwebs.

Behind him, a tower of smoke rose and separated into wisps, three days running behind him. He did not turn his head to look, but knew it was there. He could see, in his mind, the broken wagons, the butchered animals, the caravan guards stripped to bone and rags by the orcs that had attacked. He could see the fires they had lit, hungry flames licking the wagons until they had reached the dry timber they had brought to trade, then blossoming into blazes that stained the clear summer sky with broad strokes of black smoke. He could see the orcs roasting their food, both his men and their animals, in the heat from the burning wagons. Still, the image of his murdered companions being killed, cooked, and eaten had seared itself into his mind. Their bodies had been first pierced by the iron of the orc's arrows, then by the wood of the orc's roasting spits, and finally by the orc's yellowed teeth. A night of barbaric glee, the burning wagons forming the pyres for a savage victory dance and feast as he had hidden, unable to move or sleep for fear of being discovered.  He knew that the orcs would have moved onwards now, heading North. Heading to Lanternwebs.

As he crested the next hill, his stride seemed to grow longer, his breathing more steady. In the distance he could see the dazzling white of Lanternweb's tower, shining to him across the miles between him and safety, giving him renewed strength as it guided him to his destination. There, he would warn the stout dwarves of the orcs that threatened him. There, he would refill his waterskin and fill his pack with food for the trip back to the Unions of Responsibility and his home. Only a few more miles to go, he told himself. Another hour, at most, and then he could rest.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2009, 05:07:18 pm »

Hm. I sense a siege following that post.

Put me on the front lines! DEATH OR GLORY! Well I guess I'll get both aswell if I die, but I won't know that. I'll be dead.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2009, 05:58:51 pm »

That deathtrap looks just lovely! Give it a chance to 'shine'. If not out of need then for the sheer awesome of seeing the machine doing its job ;)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2009, 08:28:45 pm »

If we're going to meet the orcs in face-to-face combat, I want to be on the frontlines too. So help me I'm going to wreak some havoc!

But if we're not, I want to see this deathtrap of yours work.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2009, 04:06:38 pm »

"To arms!" shouted Flint, bursting into the barracks as sparring halted. As the noise quickly settled, he continued in a softer, but no less commanding voice. "Three squads of orcs, no time to waste. The diplomat has started his meeting with the Countess, and he'll want to leave immediately after that. We'll need to escort him out safely."

The soldiers of Lanternwebs clustered around him as Flint quickly sketched a crude map of the river valley in the sandy clay of the barracks floor with the butt of his axe. He pointed to the northern hills.

"We've got a squad of snipers coming in from the norther end, no doubt their scouting force. They'll rush to try to cut us off, so they are the first priority."

"The rest of them are up in the mountains, looked like another squad of archers and a squad of lancers. They're lead by the same three that escaped this summer, so the killing the leaders will be second priority. We don't want them coming back every season as long as they can keep resupplying nearby."

He drew a line from the fortress up the river to the east.

"The diplomat will be heading this way. We'll need champions on the eastern hill to intercept the scouting force, and champions on the slopes to hold off the main force if they make a move."

"Tirist and the Dented Boots will take the eastern hills, The Tooninator and the Lancers of Disembowelment will take the slopes, my squad will provide point cover. Workerdrone, take your squad and hold at the bridge in case they go for the fortress instead. The marksdwarves will provide backup at the gates."

The dwarves moved rapidly, checking sheaths and quivers as they rushed to their assigned stations. They emerged from the fortress just ahead of the human diplomat, his backpack filled with whip vine biscuits and his waterskin refilled with cold water from the well, and split off towards their assigned posts. Within seconds, the clatter of dwarves in platemail at the bridge had been replaced with the unrelenting heat of the summer sun.

Workerdrone looked out over the valley from the foot of the bridge. The air was hot and clear, the inside of his armor sweltering. In the distance, he could see the orcs, all mounted on beak dogs, riding through the hills towards the entrance. Wiping sweat from his eyes with a scrap of cotton, he strained to see which direction they were heading. He hoped that they would choose to rush the fortress, thinking that he and the five dwarves with him were easy prey. That would be a chance at glory, he thought: Outnumbered nearly three to one (five to one if you counted the beak dogs), holding the entrance of the fort until the other squads could come to his aid. His dwarves holding the bridge, slaughtering orcs as they were funneled into the unyielding line his squad would set up. The orcs breaking and fleeing only to realize that the other squads were behind them, cutting off their escape route. A title to say with pride, to treasure as his own and hold up as an achievement as worthy as any craftsdwarf's artifact. His masterpiece, in sliced muscle and flowing blood, menacing with spikes of steel and shattered bone. His title, an epithet to strike fear into the hearts of his enemies and inspire his comrades to greater heights. He wiped his forehead with the cloth again. If only the orcs would come to him, he thought.

Watching the diplomat disappear into the distance, Flint turned to look at the orcs, racing down across the valley towards the Lancers of Disembowelment. Flint smiled craftily behind his beard. By abandoning the hills, their escape route would be cut off. He hefted his axe, knowing that it would soon see heavy use. If things went as planned, not a single orc would survive the coming battle. Their arrows would be of little use, once they were caught between The Tooninator and Tirist, and with himself and Workerdrone farther up the river, they would have nowhere to run.

He raised his axe high, the steel blade flashing in the sunlight, and bellowed out the order to charge as he lead the Elder Banners towards the orcs on the valley floor. He could see the other three squads charging as well, their shields high, their weapons drawn. The battle had begun.

----------------
This was kind of odd. Only the diplomat showed up, no merchants, and he only talked to the countess long enough to give greetings, comment on the fortress, and then leave. I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, but it's in the story now.

I'm also not entirely sure that I'm satisfied with the writing this time, so I may well go back and edit it. The events are the same, though.

Movie of the battle is here, with the full description coming tomorrow.

Edit: I like that better. Workerdrone is fun to write for.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:38:30 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2009, 04:24:00 pm »

I can't wait for that battle to be described...

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2009, 04:56:52 pm »

The Tooninator ordered his squad to halt their ascent. In the valley below, they could see the orcs rushing towards them, their beak dogs shrieking with excitement at the coming battle, their claws kicking up clouds of dust as they trampled the dry grass in their charge. There was no point in leading them farther up into the mountains, he knew. The battle would be a melee charge into archers as always, trusting in their shields and plate mail to protect them until they could reach the orcs and slaughter them. With a shout, he ordered his dwarves forward.

The battle was joined in the brook, splashes of red-tinted water rising to accent each motion. The beakdogs reared and swiped, their claws skittering off dwarven shields like the water that surrounded them. Steel flashed in splashes like leaping fish, the swords moving rapidly in long-practiced arcs to dismount orcs and slay them as they fell to the ground. The shields seemed to move slowly, a great school of steel swaying this way and that as they turned away arrows and the dwarves advanced, leaving the brook stained dark red with the blood of the orcs behind them.

Urvad Fatherlin, sword champion of Lanternwebs, hurried to join the battle from his position in the hills. Already, the orcs had started retreating from the brook, and it would only be a matter of time before they broke and fled. Below him, he saw their leader, an immense orc slasher, wheel his beak dog around and begin to head towards the hills, hoping for escape. With a cry, Urvad leapt at him, severing the mount's head, tackling the orc, and sending him crashing to the ground.

Rolling quickly to his feet, Urvad drew his sword and turned to see the orc had already recovered, and was facing him with sword in hand. "Let me know your name," The orc snarled in broken dwarven, "That I might know who it is that I have slain on this day."

"I am Urvad Fatherlin, Sword-Champion of Lanternwebs." Responded Urvad, his voice carrying clearly over the noise of the battle."I will see you to your grave this day, even if I should fall."

"Know then, little dwarf, that you have been slain by Ber Smumubsnang, swordmaster of the Mysterious Dread." said the orc, and he lunged at Urvad, the sword swinging in an overhead arc.

Urvad stepped nimbly aside and counterstruck, the point of his blade seeking the unprotected flesh of the orc's legs. Ber brought his shield down to block the strike, shoving forwards to send Urvad tumbling to the ground. Despite his heavy plate armor, the dwarf recovered quickly, raising his sword to let the follow-up attack slide down and over him as he stepped in and thrust.

Dwarven steel sliced cleanly through the crudely-forged orcish chainmail, and blood welled up around the blade, stuck deep inside Ber's stomach. Ber shook his body with a cry of rage, breaking Urvad's grip on the blood-slick sword handle. Urvad abandoned the sword and dodged nimbly back, out of reach of the orc's sword. "You are slain!" He cried to Ber.

The orc snarled back and hurled his heavy orcish scimitar, the black iron striking Urvad's left arm, the steel plate buckling under the weight and shearing off, taking Urvad's arm and shield with it. Unimaginable pain shot through him as the ragged end spurted, but he kept facing the orc. "You are overconfident, little dwarf. How will you live without an arm?" mocked Ber.

"You are mistaken, foul orc." shouted Urvad defiantly. "It matters not whether I live or die, only that you do not live to see the sun set." Urvad lowered his head and charged, his hand seeking his sword, to tear it out and continue the fight to the end. Ber reached down, his thick fingers grabbing the dwarf-sized handle and bleeding as they grasped the bottom of the blade. With a grunt, he pulled it free and swung at the charging dwarf.

The blow caught Urvad in the left side, the steel of his armor giving way to the dwarf-sharpened edge of his sword and the strength of his foe. Urvad could see blood pouring from Ber's opened wound, tainted with black bile from the ruptured stomach. As the blade continued through, he felt strangely at peace. His momentum had not been slowed, and he pushed off from the ground, forcing the blade through the other side as his upper body soared, his life's blood trailing behind him as his heart gave him a few, final seconds of life to wrap his remaining arm around the orc's neck and squeeze as hard as he could until consciousness, and life, slipped away from him like the last grains of sand through the neck of an hourglass.

Flint and The Tooninator stood together on the field of battle. Already the flies had begun to descend, lured by the smell of blood in the hot sun. The brook ran a dark red, and the grass was littered with the bodies of the slain. Not a single orc had survived the slaughter, unable to break through Tirist and escape. A place of honor would already be prepared in the Warrior's Tomb for Urvad, their only loss. The first battle had been won, the diplomat was safely on his way, and now their attention could be turned to the two remaining squads of orcs in the mountains.
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30