Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80096 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (The Plot Thickens!)
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2009, 12:57:11 am »

Yep, i'd say stick to the journal for the day to day happenings, and narrative to describe battles  (which you have a talent for).

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2009, 10:59:52 am »

OK, I'll just go with a newbie axe dwarf then. And can you call him/her "Grimes" instead? Sorry to be such a bother :-\
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »

A somber mood hung over the dining hall as the champions returned, victorious yet still missing two of their number. Everyone in the fortress has seen the dead heroes carried down to the Warrior's Tomb, still clad in their steel armor but marred with gore where they had been cruelly struck down by Xuspgas. Although the orcs had suffered heavy losses, the loss of even a single dwarf felt like losing a family member to many, and the knowledge that these two would likely not be the last casualties was present in the minds of many.

It was into this atmosphere that Unib Keskalerib, the newly elected mayor of Lanternwebs, was forced to make his first speech. The final votes had been being tallied as the orcs appeared on the horizon, and the defense of the fortress had taken priority over everything else. There had been times in the last days when he had wondered if running for Mayor had been a enormous mistake, but with Olin working the forges to create more armor and Kib outside in pitched combat with the orcs, there hadn't been anyone else to replace him, or even to turn to for advice.

Nobody, that is, except for Tosid, the first leader of the fortress. He didn't speak very much to anyone these days, and spent all of his time scuttling for place to place mumbling about spikes, grates, spiders, webs, the ancients, and gears. Some of the other founders of the fortress seemed to be in on whatever he was planning, but they never talked about it.

Nevertheless, Unib had worked up the courage to talk to Tosid one day during the siege while he was working on a set of mechanisms, no doubt to further his project, and had asked him for advice on running the fortress.
"Running the fortress?" Tosid had responded incredulously. "You need help running the fortress? I designed the fortress better than that, lad. It runs itself, more or less. Everyone knows their jobs, everything's available when you need it, it all ticks over like a masterfully carved set of mechanisms."
"Except," he continued darkly, "When something gets in the way. Something unexpected comes up. Not the goblins, no, we expect those and the military will sort it out. Something comes up like a cave-in, or there's a dead dwarf and everyone needs a bit of a pick-me-up speech. That's the only time you need to step in and do anything. Besides that, best to leave everything alone."

Unib wished now that he had asked about how to give a pick-me-up speech as he stood in front of the waterfall in the dining room, feeling the cool mist on his back. As he cleared his throat for attention, he felt the mist calming him down a bit and disguising the nervous sweat that had begun to develop.

"My fellow dwarves." he began haltingly. "I know that I was elected to be your mayor, but today I feel no different than the rest of you. I know that the tragic deaths of our two brave warriors weight heavily on all of our hearts. I know that nothing that I do can bring them back to life, free from the terrible injuries inflicted upon them. And I know that nothing that I say can replace the empty space inside each of us where their companionship once was."

Here, his voice grew stronger as he addressed the silent crowd.

"But they did not die for nothing. Today, Xuspgas lies dead, his forces slain or fleeing. Today, each of you is able to draw breath in safety, because of their sacrifice. Today, our human guests will be able to trade in peace, to leave and spread tales of their bravery and heroism though all of the lands to the south, that they will live until the mountains themselves crumble to dust in song and story."

"And they did not die unwillingly. They were taken before their time, it is true. But they were not taken in cowardice, in ambush, or in accident. They stood shoulder to shoulder with their brothers and sisters and charged, fearless to the last, and died in glorious battle with a worthy opponent. They did not hesitate, they did not waver, they did not falter. They died without regrets, upholding their sworn duty: to protect Lanternwebs and each of you."

His voice, now loud and confident, filled the room.

"And so I say: Do not mourn them. Do not shed tears for their death. Honor them. Respect their bodies, encased in the bones of the mountains and warmed by the blood of the earth as they rest. Enjoy each day of life that you have onward, knowing that that enjoyment was the thing that both of them felt was worth sacrificing themselves for."

"To Kogan Risenbomerk, Swordmaster of Lanternwebs!"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"To Kogan!" replied the dwarves.

"To Mörul Zursulrovod, Axe Lord of Lanternwebs!"

"To Mörul!" shouted the dwarves.

"And no less important are the heroes who continue to live, and defend this fortress to the last. Kib Amkolrigòth the Fields of Scalding. The Tooninator, Lyrics of Noiselessness. Flint Dakaskûbuk the Acrid Palm of Spines. Stukos Medtobkoman the Distracting Gold of Tributes. And two more to join their ranks during this battle: Ducim Dodokod the Warm Mortal of Umbras and Melbil Robusttorch the Jade Blizzard of Blades. Standing beside them will be other dwarves, no less skilled with their weapons, and together they shall defend Lanternwebs from any force that threatens it!"

As Unib stepped away from the front of the room, he almost didn't notice the chill of his soaked cotton shirt. He had completed his first act as mayor, and it felt wonderful.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:10:10 pm by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2009, 08:01:20 pm »

From the journal of Unib Keskalerib, Mayor of Lanternwebs, Summer 112

Well, I can't say that much has happened other than the siege, and even that was over before even the first of Malachite. Tosid was right, this place does basically run itself. We bought a great pile of stuff from the humans, and gave them as much of the goblin clothing as we could find lying around. They saw it as a great deal, but truthfully? I don't really care. They can have it for whatever they want, it would just pile up around here otherwise. The caravan master said something about re-weaving the garments, but I know that no dwarf would ever want to wear something that was once worn by a goblin. Of course, it makes the humans more than happy to come out here, even with the threat of orcs, so it works both ways.

In early Galena, one of our new recruits stopped his sparring and ran off to the pile of beak dog corpses we had lying by the butcher's shop. After collecting a dozen or so bones, he set to work crafting a giant beak dog bone axe blade. He called it "Ethramazin", and even though you wouldn't expect it from bone the edge is sharper than the edges of most of the steel weapons we've got around here. It's also got an image of a library on it, the books picked out in beak dog teeth. Kind of creepy, but oddly mesmerizing to look at. As much as I'd like to have it displayed somewhere for people to admire, I'm too afraid of accidents happening around it, so I've ordered it put into storage for the time being.

Other than that, life continues, I guess. Tosid keeps making mechanisms and attaching them to the grates in the entranceway, though I don't know what he's planning with them. He seemed friendly enough when I talked to him, though, so I'm sure that he has our best interests at heart. Kib keeps training the soldiers, and it looks like he's making good progress even with the batch of new recruits. Even our dungeon master (dungeon mistress? I'm not sure.) seems to have settled in well, and she's down in the forge learning weaponsmithing from Shoruke and Skjald. She hasn't even mandated anything beyond asking for her rooms and furniture.

I came in here thinking that this job would be really difficult, but lately it seems like I haven't been doing anything mayoral at all. Shoruke's taken over the record keeping, so I don't need to bother with that, and with the human diplomat gone there isn't really much to do. I might even consider running for a second term, at this rate...
Try my orc mod!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »

Legendary bonecarver? Sweet, we wont run out of bolts. And your speech was truly epic.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2009, 09:07:39 pm »

Gumball: Sorry for not being able to get you a marskdwarf.
Try my orc mod!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2009, 08:30:56 am »

That's great. Thanks, Rysith :D
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2009, 11:52:58 pm »

Journal of Unib Keskalerib, Mayor of Lanternwebs, Autumn 112

Well, here's something mayoral for me to do. I suppose the lack of real happenings is the only reason that they elected me, rather than someone with more age and experience, to this post. But, I still get to write the reports. Where were we... Ah, yes.

The dwarven caravan arrived, as it always does this time of year, bringing goods but no migrants. We traded generously with them, as always, and came away with a good collection of valuable gems and metals that we do not have access to here. The lack of migrants, though, is somewhat irritating. It takes the peasants forever to haul things around with Kib insisting that so many of them be brought into the military.

We were also ambushed not once, but twice by goblins this winter. In a sense, though, I'm almost not sure I should bother reporting them: both were taken down with ease by our soldiers. The first was in late Limestone, when a bull that was mourning the passing of his master in the orcish siege was set upon by four bowgoblins, a human swordsman, and a wrestler. Those six were quickly killed by Flint and a marksdwarf named "Silvereye", though from the looks of things most of the actual killing was done by Flint. We lost the bull and our guard horse, but neither of those strike me as particularly bad losses.

The second ambush was of a skeletal mountain goat up in the mountains. I didn't feel like it was worth it to dispatch anyone to kill them, but Kib insisted that we needed to kill them to send a strong message to The Allied Cruelty, so we sent a few soldiers up, who wiped them out without difficulty.

During the cleanup, we ran into three goblin babysnatchers, all three of which were quickly chased down and killed. I can remember when I was a target for them, not long ago, and want to see every last one of their kind exterminated.

And finally, in early Timber Oddom èrithkatthir, one of our blacksmiths, was struck with inspiration from Rodem the Rag of Lobsters herself. She seized three bars of copper, a bolt of giant cave spider silk cloth, and a giant Olm hide and quickly went to work, eventually producing Urgedwatched the Humble Lances, a copper grate. On it is a picture of Kib menacing one of the orcs from the siege of 110 and a picture of the great trek to found Lanternwebs, both in copper, as well as an image of Despairfresh in giant cave spider silk and Malfol Helpedlenses, first queen of the Braided Lenses, in giant olm leather. A magnificent piece, and I've tried to get Tosid to install it in place of one of the grates in our entranceway. He steadfastly refuses, though, saying it is far too important for that. I suppose I don't really understand him after all.
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2009, 03:42:02 pm »

"Lay siege to Udilorshar? You must be crazy!" shouted the goblin to his lieutenant. "That place is invincible! Even if we could get goblins inside the walls, the army would tear us apart! They've killed two of the Dread's leaders. TWO! Each of which could have single-handedly killed us all!"

"Ah, but that's where the genius of the plan comes in." Replied the lieutenant. "Any defense is only as strong as its weakest point. And the weakest point of Udilorshar is... Kib Amkolrigòth. Or rather, her cats."

"Her cats?"

"Remember, a few ambush squads ago, the scout that reported that she stepped in to block a bolt aimed at one of the cats that follows her around all the time? A dwarf willing to take a crossbow bolt to protect her cats... She must care deeply about them. And if some of them were to die, she might become so distraught that she would go berserk, killing all the dwarves around her! Imagine, one of their finest warriors, turned against them in a berserk fury! Imagine the carnage!" The lieutenant was almost shrieking with excitement now.

"I see." replied the goblin commander. "And their deaths might further depress the rest of the dwarves, until Udilorshar tore itself apart from the inside... I like it! Gather a squad of bowgoblins! You depart at once!"

"I... I depart at once?" stammered the lieutenant.

"Yes! You understand the plan best, and so are best suited to put it into action."

The lieutenant staggered off, already weak-kneed at the idea of actually leading the assault on Udilorshar himself
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2009, 05:14:04 pm »

From the journal of Tosid Vodsazir, Winter 112

Everything is in readiness for phase one's test. We have only to rebuild the walls and control the water's flow for it to be ready, and the masons are working on that even now. That I have constructed a device is no secret now, and none of them could devise its function as they wall it up.

The initial step of phase two has been completed, and even now I have sketches of the phase two webs, though their construction will require significant logistical effort. I may have to let Unib in on it, as his years of socializing while a child have put him far ahead of any of the working members of the fort, politically. Neither can I dispose of him, as his mind contains information intricate to phase three.

Phase three may be started earlier than anticipated: Fath Coggim has progressed quickly in his apprenticeship to Shoruke, and Skjald has become an outstanding weaponsmith. With higher-quality weapons, I feel that we will be ready for phase three as soon as Shoruke is trained to competence in battle. Several of the new members of the militia show promise as well: With Flint as an axe lord, Silvereye will provide ranged support, and Grimes has shown himself to be both worthy of trust and capable with an axe. Those five should be enough, I think, for phase three to be completed successfully.
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2009, 07:09:33 pm »

From the journal of Zon Kidetrith, Dungeon Master, Winter 112

That's it, Unib is now unquestionably crazy. Sure, sure, he was some kind of child prodigy and everyone loves him. But now? Now he's asked if we could do him one tiny favor. One, little, tiny, itsy, bitsy favor.

"You see," he said to our miners, "Now that I'm mayor, I've got a small request for you. I've seen the most wonderful cave spider silk webs down in the chasm over there, and I was wondering if you couldn't breach the chasm and get some for me? Three bolts worth or so ought to be enough. Shouldn't take long at all to dig over there."

Shouldn't take long, indeed. Of course, that neglects the fact that wherever there are the little "harmless", hand-sized cave spiders that will just leave you debilitated for life if they bite you, there might also be the big, non-harmless, wagon-sized spiders that will leave you debilitated for the rest of your very short life if they come anywhere NEAR you. Oh, of course he said that he couldn't see any, so they must not be there. And of course, anything that he can't see must not exist. It couldn't be, I don't know, HIDING, the way that a PREDATOR would. Of course not.

His cave spider silk is so important that he's mandated that we make him three items out of it, which means breaching the chasm on at least two levels. The Duke and Shoruke have both said that they'd rather face a spider than let the mandate go unfulfilled, since it would mean trouble for the legendary weaver once the mountainhomes get around to sending us a baron. I know that Tosid doesn't like traps, but I'm going to see if I can't get him to put up a few cage traps before they go in, just in case. I should also probably tell them to put up a door, so the cats don't get in and kill all the spiders for the next time Unib gets it into his head that he needs more silk, and make sure to tell all the children bedtime stories so that they never think of asking for spider silk, giant desert scorpion chitin, or hydra bone if they ever get elected mayor.

Well, I suppose that now that I've gotten that off my chest, I should head down and make sure that the cages are strong enough to hold whatever we catch in them. Steel would be best, I think, for all of us.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:12:00 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2009, 11:19:53 pm »

Quoth Rysith from a few posts ago:
"Learning weaponsmithing from Shoruke"

I do weaponsmithing? Man, I'm like... the jack-of-all-trades in your fort. Fighting, masonry, metalworking, record keeping, you name it, Shork's got it. About the only thing I don't seem to do (yet) is food.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:56 pm »

And then, you go melancholy and start mixing up your tasks. Forging biscuits, trying to grow copper, carving stone into bolts, turning fish into mechanisms....man, that would be awesome.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:37 am »

Quoth Rysith from a few posts ago:
"Learning weaponsmithing from Shoruke"

I do weaponsmithing? Man, I'm like... the jack-of-all-trades in your fort. Fighting, masonry, metalworking, record keeping, you name it, Shork's got it. About the only thing I don't seem to do (yet) is food.

You actually haven't done any record keeping, though I'm not sure why. Your current skill set is Legendary miner/grand master mason/skilled weaponsmith/novice grower/dabbing animal trainer/dabbing mechanic/skilled wrestler/novice shield user/dabbling armor user/competent social skills. You'll also probably be getting training in some weapons other than wrestling once you enter the military, since unarmed is bad at training armor use.
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2009, 04:07:24 pm »

Combat report, winter 112, prepared by Kib Amkolrigòth the Fields of Scalding, Champion of the Theater of Beards

As I write this, I can still scarcely believe what has happened. Monom is dead, cruelly struck down by the goblin menace. I shall not rest until each and every one of them lies dead. I've talked to Tosid about extending the entranceway to prevent them from fleeing the way that the cowards did this time, and he's agreed to draw up plans.

On the 14th of moonstone, we received a report of a contingent of bowgoblins entering our territory through the Forest of Funerals. Unlike the goblins that we have seen before, these loudly declared that Lanternwebs had been annexed by The Allied Cruelty, and that we were to surrender at once or be killed. That they would conquer us with only sixteen goblins was laughable, but I wanted to draw them to the fortress anyway, to make hauling away their filthy clothing that much easier. Though initially surprised at my offer of negotiation, they eventually advanced on our fortress.

Once they were within bowshot range, they quickly showed that they had no more intention of parlay than we did, loosing shots at our marksdwarves stationed behind the bridge. Prepared as we were for open combat, we returned fire and charged, quickly scattering them like leaves before an autumn storm.

But their objective was not us. As I charged, one of the goblins shot and killed Monom, my very dearest cat, who has followed me everywhere since we first met. A single arrow ended the cat's too-brief life, and plunged me into the most violent rage I have ever felt. Alas, I could only chase down one of them, plus a kobold thief that was trying to take advantage of the battle, before they fled like the cowards that they are.

Melbil Sûbillitast The Jade Blizzard of Blades, one of our marksdwarves, was able to shoot another in the back, an act for which I have promoted him to the rank of Champion of Lanternwebs. At the end of the so-called siege, less than half of the invaders were slain, a price unworthy of a cat so faithful as Monom.

I've talked to Unib, and he has done the best that he can to console me for my loss, even suggesting that I could get a different cat or kitten to replace him. I know that he tries hard, but he just doesn't understand the bond between a cat and its dwarf. I suppose that I have no choice but to go drown my sorrows in dwarven rum, and hope that that will cheer me up a bit.
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30