Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80072 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (The Plot Thickens!)
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 06:14:54 pm »

Haha, im tense and jittery, and im rarely happy. Wow, ive got a dangerous dwarf, especially with a crossbow. I dont particularly care how you introduce me, just please try to keep me alive :)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2009, 08:38:19 pm »

Tense and jittery?
Carries a crossbow?
Let me guess... trigger-happy maniac?!?

And what's up with Tosid's super-epic project of uberness? I want to know about it!
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 04:37:26 pm »

For the first time in two years, Orcish war drums shattered the peace of Lanternwebs. Xuspgas Gozrungal, leader of the Mysterious Dread, smiled toothily in the heavy rain. Like last time, they had followed a human caravan to the site, and as before they arrived just as it was entering the safety of the fortress. They had approached the fortress undetected from the south, and with a squad of crushers stationed to the west there would be nowhere for the caravan to run: the orcs could easily outpace the slow wagons and pack animals along the riverbed. The humans could not stay inside forever, and he looked forward to slaughtering human and dwarf alike as they tried in vain to flee.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With a deep bellow, he urged his beak dog forward, and the thirty-odd other orcs with him bellowed in response. This time, there would be no escape for the humans, and Utes Devilfray's death would be avenged. He drew his whip, made of beak dog leather and cruelly barbed at the tip with iron, and ordered his stabbers forward to cut off the caravan and take the dwarven drawbridge. With his forces in control of the drawbridge, the the fortress would quickly to become a prison. If things went anything like last time, the cowardly dwarves would seal themselves in, and their impregnable fortress would become an inescapable prison. The humans would grow more and more claustrophobic until finally the dwarves opened their gates to let the humans out and the orcs in, or the humans would go insane within the fortress, causing havoc inside their defenses. Either way, the dwarves were trapped, and their fortress would fall.

The stabbers charged ahead, cheering that the dwarves had yet to raise their bridge, their beak dogs harshly screeching in excitement. They would be the first to taste the glory of battle, the first to feel flesh part before their spears. As they rose from the riverbed onto the plain before the drawbridge, they stopped short.

Much had changed in the two years since the orcs had last lay siege to lanternwebs. Where before there had been a rabble of poorly-trained recruits, barely able to swing an axe, there now stood the dwarven army of Lanternwebs. Thirty dwarves, each clad in shining steel plate mail, stood beyond the bridge. Rain flowed off axes and swords, all held loosely but confidently, unsheathed and ready for battle. They stood their ground calmly, none of them moving in the slightest as the orcs came into view, as if daring the approaching orcs to charge them. With a howl, the leader of the stabbers spurred his beak dog forward, and the rest thundered behind him. Lightning split the sky, seeming to freeze the savage faces of the orcs and the impassive helms of the dwarves in an image for the engravers of the future.

As if the lightning was a signal from the dwarven gods, crossbow bolts flew from the fortifications beyond the bridge, and the dwarves charged across the bridge to meet the orcs on the field. Leading the charge was The Tooninator, backed by the swordsmasters of the Lancers of Disembowelment. They crashed into the advancing line of stabbers, easily deflecting spear thrusts with their shields and scattering beak dogs with their swords. They stayed as a tight group, blocking thrusts for each other as their swords clove arms from torsos, legs from hips, and heads from shoulders. As the rest of the dwarves arrived, the orcs broke and scattered amid a hail of crossbow bolts, fleeing for the safety of the hills behind them. The dwarves held their ground, picking off stragglers but making sure that none of them was separated and surrounded. Not a dwarf lay injured on the field.

Xuspgas grinned. These dwarves were much better than the weaklings he had heard of before. They would be excellent to prove his strength against, and surely the riches within the fortress would be far greater than before. He urged his beak dog to greater speeds, cracking his whip in the air as his squad of crushers howled their war cries around him.

((Pictures, a movie, and part II to follow!))
Movie available here
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:36:23 pm by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 05:26:42 pm »

Hahahaha!!  All should fear The Tooninator!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:57 am »

As the limbs of the fallen settled to the ground, the dwarves retreated across their bridge, resuming their positions as they waited calmly for Xuspgas to charge. The sky cleared, leaving the ground damp with the rain and the blood of the dead, too thick to be washed away.

It was onto this field that Xuspgas lead his crushers, certain of victory where the stabbers had failed. As before, the marksdwarves opened fire and the champions of Lanternwebs charged to meet them on the field, beak dogs and orcs scattering before their shields and axes.

But Xuspgas was not cowed by this display of dwarven fighting prowess. Like an enormous, predatory cat, he leapt into the midst of the dwarven soldiers. His lash flicked out, striking a swordsdwarf and slipping between the neck plates to find her throat. As the swordsdwarf fell to the ground, he twisted the whip and cracked it at another dwarf who had charged him. The dwarf blocked with his shield and lunged forward, cutting the beak dog out from under Xuspgas, forcing him to roll to the ground. He easily blocked an axe swing and struck back, the tip of the whip skittering off the finely-crafted plates of the dwarf's armor. An axe-stroke caught him in the left leg, deflecting off his chain mail as he turned to seem himself surrounded, and the rest of his squad slain or in retreat.

While some of the dwarves chased the remainder of the orcs as they fled, the majority focused on Xuspgas. Try as they might, their weapons could not strike telling blows through his thick skin and layers of armor. His weapon, though, was similarly ineffective, the barbed tip glancing off helm, shield, and chestplate as he sought to cast it into a joint where it could do some damage. Though he blocked many of their blows, axes and swords assaulted him from all directions, and though none of them were serious their cumulative effect was. A slash from a sword cut his eyes, and though he felt no pain his vision was obscured by his own blood. An axe thudded into his arm, and with a yell he brought the whip around to wrap the arm that held the axe, jerking it suddenly and grinning as he heard flesh and bone rend and the arm tear free, though the axe remained lodged in his left arm, the blade stuck deep in the bone and held fast by his shield.

Gradually, Xuspgas felt his strength waning. There were too many dwarves, too many attacks to block. His arms felt like lead, and he could barely lift his whip to swing at them. The dwarves were still energetic, expending a fraction of the energy that he did as he blocked and counter-struck each blow. Though he could feel no pain, he could feel a burning deep within his muscles, and as he struggled to keep fighting he felt his control slipping from him as he crashed to the ground, overexerted to the point of unconsciousness. The dwarves quickly piled onto him, hacking at his now-helpless form until at last it ceased to draw breath.

In the mountains to the west, the last squad of crushers rose from the plateau they had been sitting, watching the battle below. High Priest Amxu would surely be interested in this new development, and the defeat of Xuspgas, as Amxu had forseen, would lend weight to whoever he put forward as the new leader of the Mysterious Dread. The crushers left at a comfortable pace to the south, confident that the dwarves would not pursue them far from the fortress, to report news of the battle to their priest. The war to break Lanternwebs had only just begun.

-----------
I'll have reports from the rest of the dwarves up sometime later, but as a quick summary, Flint is now an axe lord, The Tooninator spent most of his time shredding beak dogs, and Silvereye had to go get a drink during the second battle, so he unfortunately didn't get any killing blows. The Tooninator's squad really is "The Lancers of Disembowelment", Silvereye is "The Geared Meteors", and Flint is "The Elder Banners".

Xuspgas was also an extremely scary orc: He was fighting 9 to 1 against elite and champion swordsdwarves/axedwarves with a whip, killed two, and didn't actually die until quite a bit after he passed out from over-exertion, despite the missing eyes and throat that he got about halfway into the fight.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:20:19 am by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 05:46:28 am »

name and an axe lord not bad  8)

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 06:18:20 am »

Can you name one of the marksdwarves after me, then? Thanks again :)
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »

Disembowelment?

;D

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 04:46:16 pm »

Aww, no kills.  :( Oh well, at least i have a dwarf, and an awesome squad name. "The Geared Meteors" puts me in mind of a bunch of huge clockwork masses that are hurtling down through the atmosphere, ticking crazily.  ;D

Damn, that was one tough orc... :o

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 06:47:58 pm »

Damn, that was one tough orc... :o

I have something to add to your statement.

GOD MOFO DAMN BUT THAT WAS A TOUGH ORC  :o
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2009, 10:42:41 pm »

I think that battle would've went a different direction had Xuspgas chosen a different weapon speciality.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2009, 02:26:52 pm »

Master Lasher does sound very catchy though.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2009, 02:37:43 pm »

Master Lasher does sound very catchy though.

A shame for him that his mama orc's warning that he'd lash his eye out some day came true.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 12:33:11 am »

Sorry for the delay everyone, I've just had a bit of writer's block trying to think about how I want to handle the aftermath of the siege, and I don't want to just do something poorly-written with it, since it was quite epic. There will probably be at least one speech honoring the dead and some rantings from Tosid. That doesn't quite seem like enough to me, though.

Gumball: Interestingly enough, marksdwarves are the one request that I have difficulty filling, at least right now. I've got four, and three of them are notable (one named elite, Silvereye, and the one that killed Utes). The fourth is female. If you were willing to be trained up from newly-drafted, I could get you a male one, or you could have the female one. Either way is fine with me.

Juice: I'm actually not sure it would have. None of the other dwarves were wounded afterwards, so I suspect the two kills of being instakills of one sort or another. The lack of injury makes it seem like all of the non-instant-death hits were blocked/deflected (not that surprising, since all of the champions are approaching legendary shield/armor user, and have at least exceptional-quality equipment). Clearly the way to test this is in adventure mode, where we can see what a battle between a skilled dwarf and a legendary orc actually looks like. I will say that I'm rather happy that normal orcs seem beatable, but orcish leaders are at least as difficult as your average megabeast.

To the readers in general: I've been experimenting with narrative style over journal style, and I was wondering which you preferred. I'd probably keep standard goings-on in journal regardless (Today we struck our fifth magnetite cluster, and a snatcher was beaten to death by a peasant), but if people like the narratives I can definitely throw more of those in.
Try my orc mod!

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 12:40:33 am »

To the readers in general: I've been experimenting with narrative style over journal style, and I was wondering which you preferred. I'd probably keep standard goings-on in journal regardless (Today we struck our fifth magnetite cluster, and a snatcher was beaten to death by a peasant), but if people like the narratives I can definitely throw more of those in.

I like the mix. Dwarf Journals do a better job of creating the continuity and reasoning behind events but the narration does the better job of involving the reader in the action. 

Good read BTW.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30