Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80060 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (In Glory We Return!)
« Reply #420 on: September 07, 2009, 02:17:08 pm »

Somethings up with the titles in this fort.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 18, 2009, 12:23:55 am »

"Well, watching orcs and elephants get put through a box of needles and carving up vermin is all well and good," Pyrophoricity said, returning with a fresh mug, "But I know what you all really want to hear about is combat on the open field, your plate and your shield the only thing protecting you, your axe firmly in hand as you face your enemy."

"As luck would have it, this Spring the goblins decided that they would show their filthy faces here again. A squad at the gates, and another two squads trying to sneak in through the forest, the cowards."

"I immediately proposed that we run out and kill them all, and to my surprise Tosid agreed with me. Something about practice, but I think he had seen some faults in the deathtrap and wanted time to repair it. Anyway, he sent the champions down to the gate, and me, Nichaey, Bloogon, Foxkesh, and one of the rookie axedwarves up to hold the forest gate."

"As we climbed the stairs to the gate, we could hear the sound of the gate battle playing itself out. It went about as you'd expect a battle of Lanternwebs champions against goblins to go. "
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"But, as that died down we reached the top, and we gave the signal to let the bridge down. Nichaey was the first out of the gate, both picks up as he charged. Foxkesh and Bloogon were right behind, and I hung back with the rookie to make sure he didn't do anything stupid."

"Nichaey got there first, but he ran right past the first few goblins, screaming insults at the guard leading the squad and his mother's lineage. Foxkesh got in the first blow, a solid spear thrust to the gut that left him with a goblin wrapped around the end of his spear, while Nichaey kept charging in. He got within range of the guard, too, before he caught a hammer-blow to the leg. Hah, he's still right here, don't worry, I just like teasing him about this bit of the battle. Anyway, he gets hit, takes the goblin's leg out from under him, then looks back and sees that he's fifty feet in front of the rest of us, surrounded by goblin wrestlers."

"So, he backs himself out of there, dodges his way all the way around the block protecting the guard, gets himself up next to him again, then looks around and realizes that he's still fifty feet from us, and now he's got all the goblins between us and him. So he runs all the way back around, still dodging wrestlers all the way. Running around like a maniac."

"By the time Nichaey gets himself back on the right side of the goblins, we'd reached them. Foxkesh and Bloogon are busy sticking them, I'm trying to model good axe form for the rookie, and Nichaey's finally remembered that he's supposed to hit the goblins, and we're generally wiping the floor with them. It's really amazing what goblins seem like after you've geared yourself up to fight orcs, you know? Goblins aren't even larger or stronger."

"This whole time, of course, Nichaey's shouting insults at the goblins, and some of them start shouting them back, in what little dwarvish they know. Mostly words I won't repeat here with the children about. Well, one thing lead to another, and this hammergoblin shouts something at me as he's turning to run away, and I just lose it. He's running away, and he has the nerve to say that? So I swing at him, hit his leg and send him flying into a fleeing wrestler. Still, he's got the nerve to keep shouting at me in goblin, so I head over there and take his limbs off, one at a time. I still say the little cretin deserved it, but I guess Nichaey was still a bit sore from me poking fun at him when he was going after the guard. When we get back, Nichaey proposes "The Rages of Strife" as my title, and that's what it ends up being."

"But, it's still a title. I'll be out there with you guys the next time the orcs show up, standing by your sides. What a fine day that will be."

--------------------
Second battle, unfortunately, took place in the mountains where filming is a pain.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 18, 2009, 06:12:17 am »

Hah!  In the first battle one of the goblins falls through the gap in the maze thing.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (Praise the Miners!)
« Reply #423 on: October 01, 2009, 10:19:49 am »

Zon carefully closed the steel doors of Queen Vucar's throne room behind her, moving to take her seat at the central table. At the head sat the Queen herself, a clear look of agitation on her face. To her sides sat Flint and Workerdrone, speaking for the Grand Army of Lanternwebs, their expressions and beards hidden by their steel helms. Across from her sat the Dutchess īton, her cape of office hastily donned for the meeting.

"Dwarves," The Queen began, "Today, we are threatened by an enemy that we have faced only once before. The dragon Usmok Kamdeostri the Jewels of Sweltering has been reported to have woken from his slumber and begun a rampage nearby. It is only a matter of time before he is drawn to us by our wealth, and we must be prepared for him when he arrives."

"Can't we just capture him, like we did with Osram? Have two dragons chained in the statue garden?" The Duchess asked.

"No, no, no." Zon quickly replied. "Two male dragons in the same fortress? They'd rip each other apart fighting for dominance, or drive each other crazy if we restrained them. Dragons are very territorial creatures, and a few hours of teaching them that dwarves aren't food isn't going to change that."

"Then our path is clear." Stated the Queen. "We'll lure the dragon to the entranceway and dispatch it with crossbows. I believe that was your suggestion the last time we were threatened by such an enemy, Zon."

"That won't work." Workerdrone said as Zon nodded her agreement. "The Grand army is more skilled now, and the Forest Gate is still unready for marksdwarves to hold it. Better that we send champions out to do combat with the beast in the mountains, where there will be no danger that it will start a grass fire. I volunteer myself, since I wouldn't ask any other dwarf to take on a combat that I would shirk myself."

"I agree." Said Flint. "A battle in the mountains will be much more predictable than one on the grass, and that means slaying it with sword and axe rather than crossbow."

"Then it is decided." The Queen said. "Workerdrone and Flint will consult with Zon on the best methods to slay a dragon in open combat, and will respond when Usmok threatens us."

The others at the table nodded in agreement.

"One more thing before we adjourn." Continued the Queen. "As you have no doubt heard, The Duke recently discovered a vein of adamantine while digging near the second apartment level. As I'm sure Zon knows, we know little of it other than its amazing combination of strength and lightness, and that our ancient history is littered with the remains of fortresses, destroyed shortly after discovering it. Be on your guards."

---------------------
Sorry for not updating, real life (once again) has been quite hectic.
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 01, 2009, 02:00:37 pm »

Praise the miners!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 01, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »

How the heck do you have a noble mining? Are you CHEATING?

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 01, 2009, 04:19:14 pm »

Duke 2.0

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 09, 2009, 05:19:46 pm »

I go away for a little bit and I get a good solid mention in the story, woohoo.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 14, 2009, 12:39:55 am »

When the dragon Usmok Kamdeostri the Jewels of Sweltering came to Lanternwebs, he came wreathed in flame, the rock before him blackening with soot as he roared his challenge, claiming all that he could see as his own.

When the dragon Usmok Kamdeostri the Jewels of Sweltering came to Lanternwebs, Workerdrone and Flint stood ready to meet him, their polished armor rattling as they struck armored fists on shining shields, answering Usmok's challenge with the voice of dwarven steel.

When Usmok met the dwarves in combat, his mouth yawned wide, yellowed teeth seeking to crush armor, muscle, and bone alike. His claws stretched outward, the points seeking weapons to wrest them from the weak grasp of his foes. His tail swung in a wide arc, the armored tip whistling as it sought to shatter steel against itself.

When Usmok met the dwarves in combat, Workerdrone stood to the front, catching the teeth on his shield as his armor took the scrapes of the claws. Behind him, Flint charged past to strike Usmok's flank, the axe scraping off the dragon's scales as the tail lashed around, the tip denting Flint's shield across the middle with a crunch.

Flint reacted quickly, trapping the tail against the ground with the remains of his shield and hacking at it until his axe struck sparks on the rock beneath and Usmok's blood stained the ground. Workerdrone tore his own shield free as Flint dropped his on the ground, Usmok turning to face the pair.

Fire streamed from Usmok's mouth, Workerdrone stepping forward to catch the blast on his shield as he struck forward. His arm entered the flames, the heat singing his arm, as his sword struck the inside of Usmok's mouth. The flames cut off abruptly, the teeth clamping down on the sword and arm, armor shrieking as teeth scraped along it and Workerdrone was lifted into the air.

Stunned only briefly, Workerdrone twisted his arm inside Usmok's mouth, feeling the sword bite into soft flesh and feeling hot blood gush between the cracks of his armor. Usmok opened his mouth with a roar of pain, and Workerdrone swung around his neck, losing his grip on his sword but unbalancing the dragon and crashing with him to the ground.

Seeing his chance, Flint rushed forward to strike Usmok's exposed stomach, his axe finding purchase and breaking through the scales to reveal glistening organs beneath. Usmok's movements grew weaker as Workerdrone held the dragon's stomach exposed and Flint hacked more, opening the gash further until at last Usmok ceased to draw breath and grew limp.

Thus ended the rampage of Usmok Kamdeostri the Jewels of Sweltering, terror of men, elves, and dwarves since the dawn of time

-------------------------
Usmok served handily as a test for boosting things with DC, which was nice. Flint ended up getting the final kill, I think mostly since Workerdrone lost his sword and went with wrestling. Workerdrone received a yellow arm wound, but it healed before he could get back to rest it. Definitely a good megabeast fight.

And, as usual I apologize for the slow updating, blame real life getting in the way, and promise to try to get future updates out on time.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 14, 2009, 03:52:33 am »

I liked it.

I wrestled a dragon and then Flint hacked him up a lot.

Sounds good to me. Though I'll need that sword back.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 30, 2009, 01:50:07 am »

For months, Stozu had sat in his cage, steeling himself for the tortures that he knew to be coming. Before he had joined Staspst's lance squad as a wrestler, he had been employed as one of Snang Ronuxlozu's many torturers. He knew all the methods of extracting information from a prisoner, from the hooks under the eyelids to iron gauntlets heated over an open fire, and he knew that confining him away from the light was only the beginning. They would expect him to be more pliable, able to be rewarded with a glimpse of the sun or a breath of outside air. Perhaps they even expected him to go mad, to shriek the secrets that he held as his mind fled the confines of his skull. But he had envisioned his torture dozens of times, seen the grin on the dwarf's face as he tightened the vice around his elbow and asked him once again what he knew. He had carefully prepared a list of falsehoods, to scream as if in defeat when he could feel the heat of the glowing spike on his eye, to deceive them. He had rehearsed, within the steel bars, a speech that he would give, suggesting that he might be of use to the dwarves, that he would go back to the Allied Cruelty and feed information back to them, warning them of impending attacks. And he could see the dwarves, taken in by his change of heart under their knives, releasing him to walk free again and plot his revenge on those that had tortured him.

The sound of footsteps shook him from his fantasies, and he pressed his eyes to the bars of his cage and strained to see in the darkness. The sudden light of a lantern being unhooded dazed him, light that seemed as bright as the sun sending him staggering against the back of the cage. As his vision swam with colors, he heard the rattle of keys in a lock, and the creak as the door to his cage swung open. His vision returned in time as dwarven arm, clad in purple silk, reached in to grasp his arm firmly and yank him from the cage.

He allowed himself to be shoved in front of the dwarf, knowing that any anger he provoked now would only be cut out of him before they began asking the actual questions. Ahead he could see the dim light around the central staircase, and he was grateful that at least that part of this smelly rat-hole had light in it. They reached it and descended, then continued into the darkness of the next level down.

"I'll never talk." He said in broken dwarfish, hoping that the intent carried through if not the precise words. The confident ones always broke, he knew, and broke most dramatically and thoroughly. They would need to believe that that was what had happened to him.

"Eshom" Barked the dwarf, her tone clearly conveying that she didn't care what he had to say. Sloppy, he thought to himself. Their torturer didn't even bother learning the language. He shook his head at their amateurism. You can't talk if you can't communicate. Some of the best torturers even spent years learning about their subject's culture and mindset. What could they expect to get if they couldn't even speak properly?

His feet faltered as he came across another stairway in the dark, his leather shoes losing their purchase on the packed sand as he unbalanced and fell. The dwarf never slowed, twisting his arm behind her as she swept past him and dragged him down the steps before he could regain his balance.

When the stairs ended he was still in darkness, forced to follow behind the dwarf until the hewn stone beneath his feet gave way to smoothed tiles. He looked up to see a statue, dimly illuminated by torches burning a deep red. At the feet of the statue lay swords and knives, axes and barbs, each made of steel and each coated thinly with fresh blood. The statue itself, a tall figure shrouded in a long cloak, was carved out of blood red stone and had ruby eyes. It was, he felt, a bit over the top for a torture room. Blood only went so far in instilling fear, and he felt that the most effective blood to frighten a subject was their own.

The dwarf holding him carefully selected a small knife from the foot of the statue, and hauled Stozu to one side of the room. There there would be a table, or a chair, with restraints on it. He stumbled ahead, his free hand searching for it. A table was more confining, but more passive. A chair meant they expected him to fight, and expected to be able to draw that out and break him with it.

His hand touched only open air, and he felt the bite of the knife between his shoulder blades, the blade sliding easily down his spine. Not a lethal blow. Barely even breaking the skin, in fact. Maybe they weren't as incompetent as he had thought, he reflected as he felt the warm blood flow across his back.

"E Armok, etom." Intoned the dwarf behind him, and a dozen more voices echoed "Etom." Stozu barely had time to wonder what they had said before he pitched forward, barely getting his arms out in front of him as he fell through where the floor should have been, landing heavily several feet down on smooth stone.

Above him, he could hear more dwarven chanting as he struggled to his feet and looked up at the dim red square above him. Just a moment now, to collect himself and figure out how to escape from his new cell. The first thing to do, he knew, was to find out how large it was. Maybe with a running jump, he could pull himself up into the torture room once they had left...

The first wave of silk hit him from behind, forming thick fibers that pinned him in place as he struggled to turn to face his attacker. His arms stuck uselessly at his sides, he jerked slightly as he felt the fangs enter his shoulder, and then felt only pain as Oxoxaslo the giant cave spider, avatar of Armok in Lanternwebs, fed on the first of many sacrifices.

Movie
-----------
On time? Did I say on time? Anyway, it's not dead yet, and the last few updates should flow reasonably quickly from here.

And, the giant cave spider is untamed, as avatars of Armok should be.

Try my orc mod!

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #431 on: November 30, 2009, 06:26:16 am »

Very nice Rysith!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 30, 2009, 06:39:46 am »

A very good mega-beast fight. I love the idea of Workerdrone with his hand inside of a freakin dragons mouth trying to get his sword.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »

"And that," Zon said, placing the finely-engraved granite slab back in its silk pouch, "Is how Flint lead the Grand Army to victory over the demons, and the beginning of the Golden Age of Lanternwebs, in which we live now."

"Is it really true?" Asked Sigun, one of the children sitting around her feet. "Was that really how Lanternwebs started out?"

"Of course, dear." Zon replied. "Wizardmon still leads the Grand Army since Flint's retirement, you can ask him if you don't believe me."

"But really?" Sigun persisted. "Was that really the history of Lanternwebs?"

"Well, there may have been an embellishment here or there, and I had to gather the early history from Tosid and the others, but it's as close to what happened as I could get it."

"Were you really that unhappy at the beginning?" piped Atir, from the circle of children who had been listening.

"It was a much rougher place then, children, and I was much younger. Much younger, and more foolish perhaps. It's grown on me, certainly, back when I thought that being part of the Order of the Masters was all confronting fell beasts in their lairs, and not chatting with dragons about the history of creation or passing knowledge on to others. I'm glad now that Inod sent me on that path, even if I wasn't at the time."

"Is there really a giant spider under the floors?" Asked Kivish, one of the younger children.

"I should know as well as anyone, I had to help move it down there. A great mass of legs covered in bristles as large as swords and sharp as spears. If Workerdrone's been taking as good care of it as he claims, it should be even larger and more fearsome now. If you don't get your chores done on time, it will come into your bedroom and gobble you up! Speaking of which, don't you all have plants to be harvesting at this time of year?"

Zon chuckled to herself as the children scattered to the fields, searching for ripe prickle berries to bring in. It was almost time for Osram's feeding, and he had said that they'd have a discussion of the early years of the world with Bomrek this afternoon. Nothing to do now but talk and teach, just as she'd thought that she'd only be able to do back at the old mountainhome.

Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2009, 04:57:20 pm »

And, with a (somewhat lengthy and drawn out) final few posts, I think that's the end of Lanternwebs. It turns out that even demons and dwarf-companion boosted orcs aren't much of a challenge for the Grand Army, especially when they all have adamantine weapons and shields. Hardly even worth writing about, really, which is why I opted for the ending that I did. Plus, it got around the ugliness of having to put parts of the story in spoilers.

Lanternwebs really did essentially reach the point of invulnerability and ludicrous wealth (six magnetite clusters and counting, along with half a dozen gold veins and legendary smiths will do that), and I'm not even sure if I could have triggered a tantrum spiral with it. Fortresses like that really stop being fun to play, and I don't have the literary skill to keep a story interesting in the absence of in-game conflict. Toward the end (IE when I stopped having a job that let me take a few hours out of every day to write  ;D), real life commitments started making it a bit hard to get the entries done "on time". Writing it was certainly fun, though, and I may come back with shorter pieces in the future. Thank you to everyone who has read this, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about the final state of the fortress in a week or so when I get back to the computer that it's on.

Off the top of my head, Flint won the notable kill count with fifty-something kills, closely followed by Workerdrone and The Tooninator. All of the claimed military dwarves had titles (plus Duke), and all of the claimed craftsdwarves had reached legendary in their skill (Radhe and Hat without moods, I believe). Final created wealth was a bit over 32 million, and megaprojects (visible in a to-be-uploaded map) included The Webs, the magma labyrinth, and the Dwarven Fire Extinguisher (made in preparation for pit-breaching, but never activated as is usually best for those sorts of devices).
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30