Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80046 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (To War!)
« Reply #360 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:59 pm »

Oh sh** I've been found out.  I must go real faster away from here.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:04 pm »

Sweet, I got a kill already :), and my guy admired a fine chain; he must me thinking of some cold and ruthless way to better his position with it ;>
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:21 am »

Oh... My... Wow.  Absolutely amazing storytelling, not to mention the sheer volume of the fort's countless sieges.
I'd normally ask if a speardwarf were available or possible to train, but apparently they're unwanted against orcs? [thought Pierce damage was a good way to quickly dispatch strong opponents, like with bows - pierce the heart/brain, it is destroyed!, orc dies]
Name: Foxkesh, Female
Preferences: Spear if possible, jeweler if not and there's none of competence in the fort [didn't see any listed].  If I can't make history at the tip of my spear, then I'll record it on gem-encrusted everything! *chuckles*
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 28, 2009, 01:45:14 pm »

From what I can tell, the bias against spears is driven by the damn things getting stuck in the target. Against these orcs, that's pretty well a death sentence.
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 28, 2009, 04:15:50 pm »

I'd normally ask if a speardwarf were available or possible to train, but apparently they're unwanted against orcs? [thought Pierce damage was a good way to quickly dispatch strong opponents, like with bows - pierce the heart/brain, it is destroyed!, orc dies]
Name: Foxkesh, Female
Preferences: Spear if possible, jeweler if not and there's none of competence in the fort [didn't see any listed].  If I can't make history at the tip of my spear, then I'll record it on gem-encrusted everything! *chuckles*

We actually just got an artifact steel spear, so I'd be willing to train someone up in spears just to wield it. Plus, one of the nobles likes spears. Maverick is right though, the issue with spears is that when they get stuck the dwarf will sit there twisting it (creating what would be a lot of pain if the orcs felt any) or drop it and move to wrestling (which isn't very effective either). See the first two sieges for a clear demonstration of just how effective pierce damage is on orcs. The artifact spear, though, might do enough damage that it won't matter. I'll get you a dwarf as soon as I can.

Nichaey: The chain was likely either the artifact steel chain holding the tamed dragon in the statue garden, or the golden chain holding the watch-bull at the drawbridge. Up to you how you are plotting to use those to better your position.

No update today, I'm working out the final details of the first encounter on the way to Sosadcerol.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:06 pm »

Can I claim one of your new spear squad?
Bloogon/Bloogonesa(if female is easier for you)
Civilian professions: cheese maker or engraver.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 28, 2009, 10:53:06 pm »

:I...he must have really been admiring the bull. I think he wants to ride it into battle while duel wielding picks.  *imagines thusly*
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 29, 2009, 09:21:37 pm »

When did I get married?  >:(

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 01, 2009, 09:07:19 pm »

Grath: I believe that you came married. I'm not entirely sure, though. I certainly don't remember any marriage announcements.

As mentioned previously, updates will be slow this week. I'm speaking at JavaOne, which is a bit higher priority than Dwarf Fortress. If by some random chance anyone is attending that, send something to me and I'll try to set up a meeting or something like that.

New Dwarves!

FellMoodFox:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bloogonis:

Soon-to-be defenders of the fortress, in the absence of most of the Grand Army.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2009, 10:39:32 pm »

A Grand Army's scouting party that I should be illustrating...Ehehehe.

Right. Should stop delaying that.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 02, 2009, 03:53:57 am »

Woo!  Here's hoping I don't die in the first two seconds of real combat XD Or worse, in sparring practice.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »

Firstly can I just say to you Rysith I find your writing style incredibly engaging; love the characterisation especially.

On a note about Spears, I've found that equipping a second spear helps combat "stuck-in-right-shoulder" syndrome speardwarves face.

Also I'd like to throw in a request for a proud dwarf of Laternwebs, absolutely anyone would do, I'd just like to get in on the action.  ;)
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2009, 02:56:16 pm »

Argentum and Kheskeim crept forward as quietly as they could with their heavy armor. Behind them, the shining steel of the Grand Army of Lanternwebs marched to the west, following Kib's directions back to Sosadcerol, and from there to the Troll fortress of Ngososnol to crush their enemies.

Around them rose splinters of rock, pillars of basalt rising like blackened teeth above the yellowed grass and sparse vegetation of the foothills. The two dwarves moved with weapons drawn, moving cautiously from pillar to pillar as they scouted the route ahead for the main body of the army. Argentum held up his hand.

"Shhh!" he hissed urgently. "I thought I heard something!"

Kheskeim raised his axe and peered around, straining his ears through the steel of his helmet to pick up any sound he could. In the distance, a small group of deer meandered between patches of greener grass, and Kheskeim could hear the soft waving of grass in the wind. But nothing alarming.

"Are you sure?" Kheskeim asked.

"I'm positive." Grunted Argentum, sheathing his sword and reaching up to unfasten his helmet and shaking out his beard as he pulled the helm clear.

Cupping his hand to his ear, Argentum heard a faint clatter of stones from farther up the mountain.

"There!" he said, pointing up the slope. "Something up there!"

The pair hurried up, not bothering to duck behind the outcroppings now, until they reached an area of grass that bore the impressions of footprints.

"Recent." mused Kheskeim. "And too large to be dwarven."

A harsh cry sounded above them, and they looked up to see an enormous troll holding an equally enormous pike standing on top of one of the pillars. With a second cry it leapt down at them, sending the dwarves rolling to the side to avoid it as it landed gracefully and thrust the pike at Argentum as he struggled to put his helm back on.

Kheskeim moved forward, catching the pike on his shield and letting the shock of the impact travel down his braced legs. Looking around, he saw another six of the trolls emerging from behind the rocks, their iron armor clanking as they grinned and advanced, heavy maces swinging idly. Behind him, he could hear Argentum's armor creak as he shifted his weight, and the two dwarves backed into each until their back feet were almost touching, surrounded by the seven trolls.

The trolls advanced cautiously but quickly, the pikemaster circling around as the dwarves slowly turned to keep all seven in view. With a sudden cry, Kheskeim moved forward, brandishing his axe and rattling his shield before stepping back to cover Argentum's back. The trolls hadn't flinched at all. No fear, he thought. Just like Orcs back home.

The first strike swung in from Kheskeim's left, and he raised his shield to catch the iron mace and strike back with his axe, turning his body to lessen the impact and letting his momentum carry his axe into a strike at the troll's stomach, stepping inside the reach of the long arms where his smaller size served as an advantage rather than a hindrance. The axe screeched against the iron rings of the troll's armor before they snapped, the axeblade slicing cleanly through as a rush of black blood spilled cleanly from the wound. Finishing his turn with his back to the troll, he struck downward at the troll's unprotected foot, removing the leg at the knee and sending the troll crashing to the ground, a trickle of bloodied vomit at its lips.

At least they bleed, thought Kheskeim, and that means that they will die. He looked up to see Argentum riding the decapitated corpse of another troll to the ground, his feet planted firmly on the troll's chest where he had climbed to reach the neck. Seeing a troll raising its mace to strike Argentum, Kheskeim rushed forward and sunk his axe deep into its back, feeling a satisfying 'pop' as the axe parted vertebrae, finishing the movement with a kick to the inside of the knee that brought the troll down.

"It doesn't matter how tall your foe is if you've broken his legs." He muttered, reciting one of the many pieces of wisdom that The Tooninator had dispensed to him during their sparring sessions. With an overhead axe stroke, he smashed through the downed troll's armor and cut deeply into the chest. The heart beat briefly, the deep wound in it flooding with blood before it slowed and stopped and the troll's head slumped to the ground.

A great weight slammed into his back, and as he staggered forward and turned to confront a mace-troll standing behind him he winced at the pain in his back. Definitely bruised, he thought, but it didn't feel like anything was broken. The troll swung again, a sweeping upward strike that Kheskeim stepped backwards to avoid, swinging his axe in to cut the troll's arm, a long oozing cut but not a killing blow. The mace swung back again, forcing Kheskeim to turn to catch it on the edge of his shield, the spiked head skittering off the shield. Thrusting downwards with the shield, Kheskeim drove the head of the mace into the ground, then swung his axe to sever the troll's arm as it struggled to free its weapon. The strike had left him unprotected, though, and the troll bashed him with its shield and sent him tumbling to the ground.

Wasting no time, the troll was on him, using its larger size to pin Kheskeim to the ground and prevent him from using his axe. Using its remaining arm, the troll wrenched the axe from Kheskeim's hand, the stump flailing wildly as it tried to find purchase on his armor. He felt blood from the stump spray across his helm, the vile-smelling black liquid dripping through his visor to foul his beard. He raised his shield arm and struck once, twice, three times with the shield in the troll's face, mashing the nose and finally pushing it off from him. Not bothering to grab his axe, he drove his steel boot into the back of the troll's head as it rolled to the side, feeling bone snap as he drove the head into the ground.

He turned to see Argentum fighting with the pikemaster, the rest of the trolls lying dead and dismembered on the field. Argentum struck in with his sword, but the troll blocked quickly and spun the pike to leave a deep dent in his shield. Letting out a deep battle cry, Kheskeim rushed the troll, leaping onto its back and locking his arms around its neck. The troll, unbalanced from the extra weight, toppled backwards and landed heavily on him, knocking the wind out of him. As he struggled for breath, he saw Argentum rush forward and thrust his sword into the troll's chest, drawing a scream of rage from the troll as it struggled. Grimly, Kheskeim maintained his hold as Argentum stabbed over and over until at last the troll ceased its struggle and lay still.

"Hah! A bit harder than the orcs, wouldn't you say?" Joked Argentum as Kheskeim retrieved his axe. "No orc would have had you on the ground like that!"

"They bleed just the same." Replied Kheskeim, using a scrap of the troll's clothing to wipe the blood from his armor and weapon. "Just need to keep our guards up a bit more."

The two dwarves walked away in the direction of the Grand Army to report, leaving the dead for the rapidly-gathering scavengers to fight over.

--------
Sorry WorkerDrone, I had to post this to let the Grand Army storyline continue. I'll edit your illustrations in once you send them to me, though.

Pyrophoricity: Thank you for the complement, I'll get you a dwarf as soon as I can, which should be by next update.

Everyone: JavaOne is now over, so your regularly-scheduled updates are back now.
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 09, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »

"Goblins!" Shouted the Medtob, running through the front gates of the fortress. "Goblins in the mountains!"

Immediately, the barracks came alive, squad commanders rushing to rouse sleeping or drinking squadmates, sparring quickly halted to sharpen and oil weapons, and dwarves rushed to line up in the barracks by squad. Not because the goblins were a threat, of course, but because the first squad to assemble would be allowed to fight them, and an opportunity to fight without worrying about injuring the other combatants was never something to be passed up.

"Move, you cheesemakers!" shouted Sarvesh, his stocky wrestler's body seeming to tower over the four recruits that he ran alongside. "Only half of you may be worthy of anything but the title 'recruit', but by the Gods you'll be in armor toe-to-toe fighting goblins this day or I'll set you to three days sparring, unsupervised! Nichaey, help Bloogon get that breastplate on, you'll want him to help you when some goblin's trying to take yours off! Pyrophoricity, you've got your pauldrons reversed, fix them quick-like if you don't want what little training you've got in the fine art of joint-breaking to be for nothing. Foxkesh, put down that spear, you're better off with your fists than that silver stick. Line Up!"

Sarvesh paused to take a deep breath, his red face amplifying his red beard as he turned inspect the line that his four recruits had made.

"This isn't training, you know!" He resumed. "These goblins will be trying their best to grab you, hold you down, and lash your favorite pieces of skin off! You'll have to go out there, grab them in the face, and gouge their eyes out. If you can't do that, you'll grab them in the arm and twist it till it breaks! If one of them grabs you, punch him in the face and choke them. If you're feeling really gutsy, see if you can tear one open and strangle his friends with his guts before he bleeds out! These are Goblins! These are training for the Orcs, which you'll need a Little More Training before you have even a kitten's chance in magma of surviving against. But they will try to kill you just the same! You must meet them with ruthlessness, not fear. You must give them no quarter, and drive them back to the grimy holes they call fortresses! You will fight, you will kill, and you will know blood! Squad, Ready!"

Sarvesh said the last line and wheeled to stand at attention as Likot the Hammerer stepped through the barracks doors, her decorated hammer strapped across her purple cloak of rank. With the leadership of the Grand Army at war, she had been chosen as the temporary commander of the military forces of Lanternwebs, a post that she had been fulfilling thus far with a combination of clever challenges and exceptional social skills.

Behind him, the four recruits snapped to attention, their hands stiffly by their sides. Around them, other squads paused in their preparations, surprised to see a squad ready so early. Murmurs that it was unfair that Sarvesh had all the unarmed soldiers in his squad drifted up from the back corners of the barracks.

"All present and ready for battle, Sarvesh?" Asked Likot, inspecting the line.

"All present, my lady!" barked Sarvesh. "Each one as trained in the art of killing as you can get in less than a month."

"Well then, let's see how trained that is." Smiled Likot. "The field is yours."

"Recruits, to battle!" shouted Sarvesh as he marched out of the barracks, the rest of his squad clanking after him.

-------------
Pyro:
You'd be amazed at how difficult it is to find non-champion soldiers in Lanternwebs these days. That means it's probably time for another recruitment drive...
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2009, 03:06:54 pm »

From the journal of Sarvesh, drillmaster and Elite Wrestler, Autumn 115

They say I got a bit carried away. Should have let the recruits have some more hands-on practice with the goblins. Feel the little clams and teeth and scourges clatter against their armor. Where else was I going to show them the Forbidden Wrestling Arts of the dwarves? I still remember when The Tooninator taught them to me, showed me the techniques he had learned fighting the Orcs, techniques that ripped flesh from bones and limbs from bodies. Techniques that would let a wrestler fight toe-to-toe with an orc, that would stagger them and kill them even though they felt no pain. Of course, you can't demonstrate techniques like that on dwarves, which is why they are called the Forbidden Arts. And training dummies don't come along every day.

The only problem, really, is that goblins can't take more than one or two applications of it before they keel over and die. And they aren't the sort of thing that you can practice in the heat of battle. So I killed all five of them trying to let the recruits get a good view of what I was doing. I'm sure they still got something out of it, even if none of them got any actual kills.

------------
I think that's the first time I've seen a wrestler rip a goblin in half. Pictures up later. I still suspect that wrestlers aren't good against orcs, but the two speardwarves are getting extra wrestling training to help when their spears get stuck.
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30