Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80068 times)

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (A Call for Aid)
« Reply #285 on: May 06, 2009, 03:46:42 am »

My Idea and I am gona be part of it. I will join the assault force but not the blood cult.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 06, 2009, 04:11:05 am »

Your formal service to Armok will not be required anyway.

The blood you shall shed, in his name or not, shall suffice.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2009, 12:45:19 pm »

I think I'll stay out of both for the moment, at least until I get proven useful.
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 06, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »

I'll do the same with my glassworker/marksdwarf.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 06, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »

KILL SMASH DESTORY!! HAHA!! The way of the warrior!  All will fall down to the TDAF.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 06, 2009, 06:27:02 pm »

Silvereye crept cautiously forward through the swamp, his normal steel plate replaced with finely-crafted beak dog leather armor. Though the steel would have provided better protection, its shine and bulk would have given him away.

It was, of course, his experience ambushing game that had landed him this assignment. Given three months of food and water, he had been sent south along the brook, searching for the staging point that the orcs of the Mysterious Dread used for their assaults on Lanternwebs. Travel along the brook had been easy enough, but when he had actually picked up a trail, it had lead deep into the Stinky Murk. There, he knew, dwelt beak dogs, harpies, and worse.

He could feel fetid water seeping through his leather boots, despite the quality of their crafting, as he moved as quietly as he could forward. To his right, a broad area through the overgrown trees was cleared and trampled, the swamp struggling to reclaim the path that the orcs had carved through it nearly half a year earlier. Though that path was dryer, the packed earth less receptive to the all-pervading moisture, he dared not venture onto it. Much better to stay with the trees and their moss-draped limbs, lest a flock of harpies spot him from above out in the open.

The heat was the worst part of it, he knew. Every morning, he woke to steam rising from the innumerable pools, and made as much progress as he could along the trail before the midday heat turned the air thick and foul, the smell of ancient decaying trees rising to overwhelm the senses and force him to rest until nightfall, when he would press on until the screech of a hunting beakdog pack or the grunt of a nearby ogre forced him to construct a hidden shelter and wait for morning, when the beasts would have returned to their lairs.

Ahead, he saw a larger clearing and slowed, his cautious steps inaudible above the constant hum of the myriad insects constantly swarming through the air. As he reached the last line of trees he saw a massive citadel, carved from glossy black obsidian, rising from the clearing. The ground around it was dry and packed, stripped bare of vegetation by hundreds of trampling feet. Orcish feet, he knew. He could see orcs moving in and out, as well as enormous cooking fires with meat roasting over them. Making a few final notes on nearby landmarks, he slipped quietly back into the swamp. The warriors of Lanternwebs were sure to enjoy their visit here.

--------------
I think Flint does get to lead, he has seniority anyway. The Tooninator has generally been leading the swordsdwarves while Flint leads the axedwarves, but we'll need a single leader for the assault force.

Workerdrone: You will get a few regular dwarves, don't worry. I just didn't want to declare anyone part of it (or not part of it) against their wishes.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2009, 06:47:51 pm »

How many years has this fort been going, now?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 06, 2009, 07:28:48 pm »

Um...I think its around Four or Five now...

At least, that would be the general idea I've been given from Rysith's archive.

Also, Rysith, have I ever told you how wonderful your writing is? As for spelling errors you we're despairing about earlier, I haven't been seeing them. Good job.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 06, 2009, 09:53:56 pm »

I just finished reading through...great story! Definitely the best dwarf related piece of literature that I've seen.

I don't suppose that there's room for another military dwarf. I would want to be in the blood cult. Name: Nichaey, Weapons: Bare-handed (better to rip out still beating hearts with)
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 06, 2009, 10:22:09 pm »

I suggest using an axe. You can bash Greenskins with a shield and punch faces when over use breaks the haft.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 07, 2009, 12:25:25 am »

yeah, but then you can't imagine how a dwarf would manage to strangle and orc twice its size.

Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 07, 2009, 01:23:34 am »

Not really. It doesn't exactly put a picture into my head I want there.

Hacking and slashing limbs off of the Greenskins however is a picture I can process. Most certainly if theres lots of blood involved.

Plus, you can't actually make that much blood with just wrestling. Axe Dwarves make lots of it with all the chopping. And sword dwarves make even more with all the cleaving of limbs and flesh from silly Orcs.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 07, 2009, 05:31:01 am »

Leader of the assault force  ;D

I think I will gladly take on that role.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 07, 2009, 06:38:22 am »

In terms of military approval, I support Flint in his leadership of The Dwarven Assault Force.

However, his unwillingness to fully submit to Armok concerns me...

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 07, 2009, 08:28:26 am »

So long as the blood he's spilling isn't dedicated to some other (lesser, heathen) god, it should be kosher. Besides, the head of the Blood Cult (read: You) will be there to make sure of it. It's like the assault force will have its own handful of chaplains... only much, much more violent.
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30