Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80085 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (A Call for Aid)
« Reply #270 on: May 02, 2009, 04:55:36 pm »

I saw an elf with a mustache today.  Not good enough.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2009, 06:19:26 pm »

You did kill him I assume?

Any Elf even ATTEMPTING to grow a beard should be killed.

Any Elf that manages to grow one should be introduced to a 'fine' Grünhäute lass.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2009, 06:24:42 pm »

I dumped him in a magma pit, yes.  I would have anyway.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2009, 01:15:31 pm »

And in the unlikely event he grows a beard, drinks three times his collective weight in alcohol, and actually does his job properly?
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »

Hey, dwarves are racist, they'd kill him anyway.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 04, 2009, 03:27:18 pm »

From the Journal of Tosid Vodsazir, Winter 114
  They are growing impatient with our progress. This season they expressed their displeasure through a dyer, Melbil Ducimnëlas, who made an orc bone bracelet with spikes of beak dog leather and an image of the Belted Rawness in steel. The other dwarves are overjoyed, seeing her work as a representation of all that we have accomplished, slaying our enemies and transforming them into jewelery. They are correct, of course, it is a representation of all that we have accomplished. Those accomplishments have nothing to do with our true purpose, and we have lost our drive with the safety that we enjoy and the wealth that we create. Yet great things await us, both above and below, things that we will create for all the world to marvel at. The Duchess's road continues well, of course, but it is a simpleminded design and requires little planning. The real challenge lies in the mountains. I've ordered more dolomite mined out, under the guise of carving a place of worship, but much planning still needs to be done.

The alcohol shortage brought on by Unib's mismanagement was narrowly averted, the first of the plump helmets being harvested when there were only four drinks standing between us and being forced to drink water. Of course, the mushroom wine tastes terrible, but it's still better than water. Hopefully he's learned from his mistake.

---------
Yep, no orc siege this winter. I'll probably send out a few patrols to check for ambushes, though, since that's the normal reason not to get sieged, and I need some blood for the next planned bit of the story.

I'll also point out that despite the violent history of the fortress, we have yet to kill any elves. Complained about the stuff that they brought to trade and chopped down enough trees that they complained back? Yes. Killed them? No. Though they certainly aren't dwarves, they are not at the level of goblins or orcs.

Edit: First page for most views! Hooray!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:30:01 pm by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 04, 2009, 04:04:33 pm »

I agree that the Greenskin threat is what should be handled now. The elves are no threat, I'd just rather they we're dead rather then bringing piles of crap to trade for fine Dwarven goods.

Also, I assume this place of worship will be dedicated to Armok foremost?

Even if you arn't going to make one now, come on, every epic fortress needs an awesome Temple of Armok.

Blood for the Blood God!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 04, 2009, 04:21:55 pm »

I agree that the Greenskin threat is what should be handled now. The elves are no threat, I'd just rather they we're dead rather then bringing piles of crap to trade for fine Dwarven goods.

Also, I assume this place of worship will be dedicated to Armok foremost?

Even if you arn't going to make one now, come on, every epic fortress needs an awesome Temple of Armok.

Blood for the Blood God!

The elves don't trade for fine dwarven goods, they trade for goblin and orc leavings that we can't melt. I'm not that generous to them.

The current temple is going to be a generalized place of worship, so not Armok specifically. There is a temple planned for the blood-cult or Armok, but it needs a few more things to cooperate before I can build it, and I want to develop the cult a bit more in the story before introducing a temple as well.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 04, 2009, 04:53:20 pm »

Well we should establish a few things about the cult first. Sorta like Fight Club's rules.

1. You do not talk about the Cult or its doings to non-members.

2. You do not harm, steal, kill, or exploit any other members of the cult, or any dwarf in general. This can be punished by exile, followed by the likely hammerings performed by the justice system.

3. You follow no other god (in the story at least. not like I can make the dwarves profiles read Armok) other then Armok. Proof of this leads to flogging.

4. You serve Armok in every possible way, as to extent by its Cult Leader, this being WorkerDrone.

5. Sacrifices are NEVER performed on other Dwarves. Proof of this leads to outright death of the traitor, either through torture, or by strong axeblow to neck.

6. Enemies captured alive are to be killed in the name of Armok.

7. Cult members are to kill in the name of Armok.

8. Foes killed must be killed in the bloodiest fashion.

9. Honor, Glory, Distinction, and Dignity are qualities to be admired in the Cult.

10. There shall be no stop to the Blood God's tithes, all paid in the foe's blood. If there are no enemies to fight, then they must be sought.

Finally, Dwarves are not to be forced into the Cult's fold. All converts are voluntary, however, the cult's performance is not. All of those who oppose the Blood God shall be crushed.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:06 pm »

.....you're serious arn't you?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 04, 2009, 06:03:31 pm »

Indeed. :D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 04, 2009, 06:19:58 pm »

DO IT LANTERNWEBS!!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2009, 05:05:27 pm »

From the Journal of Tosid Vodsazir, Winter 114

At last, it is complete. With the planning stages completed, I should be able to divert some of the workers from the road to the glorious project of Lanternwebs. Scaffolding will be a bit tricky, but should be possible. As long as îton is satisfied with overseeing the statue construction rather than demanding my time to lay the paving blocks, I should be able to carve the trap mechanisms by summer, and we can begin to lay blocks as the miners work to smooth down the slopes. Care will have to be taken to ensure that the fortress is not vulnerable to attack during the construction, but I have confidence that that can be taken care of by a few guards. Once the scaffolding is in place, it should be less than a year for the laborers to complete the structure.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flint has also come to me with an intriguing idea, wanting my approval before bringing it before the Duchess. He suggested that with the Grand Army as large as it is, and especially with no orcs likely to assault us in the spring, a group of warriors should be gathered to launch an assault on the fortresses of the orcs themselves, rather than sitting idle and waiting for their war parties to assault us. To travel stealthily, such a party would have to be small, no more than a dozen dwarves, but the damage that we could inflict on the orcs, especially if they were unprepared for an assault, could be tremendous. It was time, I told him, that the dwarves no longer sheltered in their fortresses and contented themselves with destroying whatever armies the orcs sent against us. It was time that we brought the fight to them, and let them know whatever fear they are capable of feeling. I expect that the Duchess will feel similarly.

----------
Planning for Phase II complete, so now I just have to build it.

Given Workerdrone's starting of the blood cult, and the ongoing (behind the scenes) planning with Nilarzes, we've now got two groups open for recruitment, since I don't want to throw claimed dwarves in without permission. Post if you'd like to join the Blood Cult, the Dwarven Assault Force, or both (unless, of course, WorkerDrone wants to handle recruitment for the Blood Cult himself). Both should help to combat the general stability of in-game Lanternwebs, and make for more interesting stories.
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2009, 06:01:40 pm »

The Dwarven Assault Force.  There's got to be some competition between the two.  Therefore I will lead thee!  Hahahah!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 05, 2009, 08:27:50 pm »

I shall join the assault force.

All recruitment is voluntary. If you wish to serve Armok, then you may.

I'd suggest you give me some regular Dwarves anyway Rysith. Not sure if anyones interested in the Blood Cult, but I'd like it to be interesting all the same.

But for now, I want to hear of the assaults made by Lanternwebs! For the Blood God!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30