Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80088 times)

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (A Call for Aid)
« Reply #255 on: April 23, 2009, 09:02:00 am »

I figured that's what it was, with their pain sensors not firing upstairs. And I think bludgeons only send foes sailing on a killing blow anyway. May as well take a marksdwarf; fire support is always helpful... so long as they have ammo. =p
Umir for male/Claris for female, if possible.
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2009, 04:55:27 pm »

From the Journal of Duchess Îton Gimgoden, Autumn 114

Another Dwarven civilization! Under attack from the lesser beings of the earth, but I have no doubt that our Mountainhome would have come under siege from orcs by now if Lanternwebs was not there to divert their attention and thin their numbers. At Tosid's suggestion, I've dispatched Kib Amkolrigoth The Fields of Scalding to Sosadcerol to aid them in any way that she can, leading Vucar Vadôkshetbêth, Olon Bisekmörul, Sarvesh Ganadlogem, Lorbam Mengseng, and Edzul Vabôkilir. All of them are champions of Lanternwebs, and will surely help in defending Sosadcerol from the attacks of the trolls. We cannot allow any dwarven settlement to fall, for each fallen fortress will only encourage assaults on the remaining ones.

There was also the hero crowning ceremony, which is fast becoming an after-battle ritual. It's another thing that has faded in significance in Lanternwebs, oddly enough. Not that I wish to discount the contributions of the Grand Army, of course, without them we would have been slain half a dozen times already. It's that at the mountainhomes, a hero crowning was a cause for months of celebration and recounting of the hero's deeds. If we spent months for every hero in Lanternwebs, we wouldn't have the time in between for them to fight the orcs! The ceremony itself has lost none of its dignity, though, apart from crowning multiple heroes at a time. This time, we were glad to welcome Wizardmon Lolorumån the Moral Maze of Courtesy, Grath Rovodsiknug the Equivalent Decency, and Workerdrone Sebïrstukos the Coastal Blizzards of Peaking into the ranks of the Heroes of Lanternwebs.

Apart from the diplomacy and unexpected (but brief) battle, this autumn has passed in peace and industry. The miners have been busy searching for veins of gold so that the metalsmiths may cast the statues for my project, and Tosid spends enormous amounts of time with his charcoal drawing blueprints for his, though I know only that it almost certainly involves the dolomite blocks he has ordered carved and that it must be magnificent indeed to require this much time for him to plan.

---------------
Planning Phase II is a pain. I blame the 2d view. Iton's road is coming along well, though I haven't figured out how I'm going to pump the magma in (aesthetics!).

Sorry for taking so long with the movie, I promise I'll have it up eventually.
Movie now available here

Maverick: I think I can do that. I'll post the dwarf later. Here you go:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:04:06 am by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 27, 2009, 05:08:54 pm »

Quiet hung over the barracks of Lanternwebs. Within, the recruits who would normally be sparring had spread out to the walls, leaving a wide open area in the center. In that circle stood two dwarves, both in masterfully-crafted plate mail which they carried easily, their eyes locked on each other with shields out. One held a sword high and back, its tip pointing unwaveringly towards the other's neck. The other held his axe low, the polished steel spike at the top of the haft nearly brushing the ground behind his armored feet. Surrounding them, the eyes of recruits and champions alike watched for the tiniest hint of movement from either of them.

The axe wavered, the steel spike touched the packed clay floor, and the sword sprang forward like a striking snake, the arm behind it uncoiling to drive it towards the target it had been watching. The axedwarf's shield floated upwards and turned, catching the sword on its smooth surface and turning aside the blow with a soft whisper of sliding steel as the axe swung up from the feint, arcing high overhead to clang sharply on the swordsdwarf's raised shield. The swordsdwarf's momentum carried him past as he turned as the axedwarf stepped quickly and turned. The two fighters resumed their stances, their positions switched.

The swordsdwarf shifted his sword, moving his shield forward and bringing the sword to the front, poking around the side of the shield as he edged closer to the axedwarf. The axedwarf shifted his feet back slightly, bringing his shield closer and his axe up. This time, it was the axedwarf who moved first, his legs pushing him and his shield into the swordsdwarf, the two shields clashing and filling the room with echos. Unable to move the sword around his shield, the swordsdwarf instead crouched low and stepped, his knees almost touching the ground, as the axe swung over his head. Dropping his sword, he reached upwards to touch the axedwarf's plated arm, the fingers of his gauntlet closing tightly and guiding the arm through the rest of its swing and down, pulling the axedwarf towards the floor as the swordsdwarf stood from his crouch.

The axedwarf dropped his axe and braced one arm on the floor, supporting him as he swung his legs in a scything kick that swept the swordsdwarf's legs out from under him, then pushed off to send himself tumbling backwards into the falling swordsdwarf, where they both landed in a tangle of steel. Laughing, the swordsdwarf stood first, reaching down to help the axedwarf to his feet as they both retrieved their weapons from the floor.

"Tooninator, the wrestling lesson isn't until next week." Flint said in a mock serious tone. "You'll teach everyone bad habits. We're supposed to be teaching them how to use the weapons, not drop them on the floor. Good thing I stopped you."

"Hah!" said The Tooninator, his beard cracked with a broad smile. "The right way to win a fight is to do what you have to do to win it! If that means dropping your weapon and wrestling your opponent to the ground, they should be prepared to do that!"

------------
Winter has been boring thus far, no orcs yet. Ho hum. The Grand Army still has to keep busy, of course.

Movie of the second skirmish now available here

Maverick, Here you go:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2009, 05:42:27 pm »

There's no rules in a real fight!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2009, 06:57:50 pm »

WEll someone has to be responsible  ::)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2009, 02:38:45 am »

No Orcs to fight eh?

Whats this then? The 'dreaded and feared, all mighty' Grünhäute are afraid of us wee Dwarven Folk?

Hah! Of course they are! We are the Grand Army of Lanternwebs, Gods and Armok above save our fine Queen!

Blood for Armok! Glory to our Queen!

And long live Lanternwebs!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »

"Duchess! An emergency!" shouted Unib as he ran into îton's throne room, bowing hurriedly.

The duchess chuckled a bit and smiled. "You may have gotten me with that the first time, young dwarf." She said, leaning forward and pointing at the Mayor as he stood. "But even I've learned that the Orcs aren't an emergency, no matter their numbers. Send The Tooninator and Flint out to deal with them, or something."

"No, my Lady, it's far worse than Orcs." Unib insisted, his voice urgent.

"What is it, then?" îton demanded.

"My Lady, we're almost out of booze!" Unib nearly shouted. "Shoruke says according to her records, we've got less than a hundred drinks left, and in a fort this size that won't last long at all. Between all of the digging and the recent excitement with the Orcs and goblins, we haven't had a chance to expand our farms. The above-ground garden helped a bit, but now The Duke says he's brewed all the plants, and Stinthäd's already planting them as close as he can."

"Very well." îton sighed. "Pause construction of the road and the new underground project, and order the miners to dig out some more farm spaces. Grow plump helmets there immediately, they'll taste awful but at least it will be booze, and they grow fast. As soon as those are harvested, re-plant them with something a bit more palatable. And see what we can do about getting some more space for above-ground farms, The Duke does wonderful things to whip vines and sun berries."

Surprised at the sudden stream of orders from the normally-casual Dutchess, Unib bowed and backed out of the room to see that they were implemented.

------------
No time, no time! No booze either, since I haven't expanded the farms from the original plots, and I'm using plants with more realistic growth times. Also no orcs, but it's still early winter.
Try my orc mod!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2009, 06:38:53 pm »

Armok is still mildly satiated from the last offering of blood. But for how long, is the question.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2009, 06:51:44 pm »

WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO START SACRIFICING OURSELFS!!!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2009, 09:06:00 pm »

Um...no. That would be how the goblins perform blood trials.

Dwarves shall only obtain their blood through glorious battle! And in turn, through glorious and bloody death on the battlefield.

Lanternweb's Cult of The Blood God shall not perform such foul brutish deeds, unless its upon the enemy!

For Lanternwebs, for the Mountainhomes, for the Queen, and for Armok, we shall bring about the new age.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »

*chorus*....new age!*chorus*

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 01, 2009, 05:29:52 pm »

Out of booze? OUT OF BOOZE!?!?!??! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 01, 2009, 09:24:40 pm »

Oooooh dramatic.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2009, 12:14:49 pm »

For some reason, this makes me think of Gimli from LOTR.

"Noooo! Not the beer!"
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 02, 2009, 12:20:32 pm »

Gimli huh?

Pfft. What an Elf lover he was. Hope he dropped down a deep chasm and got eaten by ratmen.

No true Dwarve would be caught dead anywhere near an Elf. Unless it was in purpose to stab or hack at it.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30