Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80108 times)

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (Now with more nobles)
« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2009, 04:48:10 pm »

Ah. Sorry for the confusion.
(The quote tag seems to be missing a ] by the way)
Also, is 32 legendary marksdwarves overkill for orc killing? I don't think so personally, but...

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2009, 05:20:43 pm »

Dude, 32 legendary marksdwarves are overkill for anything save an Ender goblin, Sof, or Ironblood. And then the only thing you still wouldnt be able to kill would be Ironblood.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2009, 05:27:56 pm »

Hmm...about 500 orcs might match up to that.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2009, 11:33:42 pm »

Alright then lads. So we didn't perform as valiantly as we should have.

Overland map showing only a tiny crowd of four people while the other Hundred soldiers celebrate their good fortune.

Errrr...

I'd like to address the issue of how much effort we're putting into this killin' business. Obviously, If we're not killing enough, we're not doing our jobs right? Right?

Right.

So. I propose that we attach explosive beer barrels to our chests, and-

Overland map shows WorkerDrone is alone.

...Where did everyone go?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:01 pm »

From the journal of Skjald Sibreknekut, Late Summer 114

I've worked the forges of Lanternwebs for just over six years now, from the day that we first set up wood-fired forges to smelt picks to dig into the sand.

I've forged the weapons that our soldiers have brought into combat for just over five years now, from the day that Olin was inspired by his arrival to Lanternwebs and, in a single act of creation, surpassed my years of training to become the master armorsmith of Lanternwebs.

Then, people called him a legend. The best armorer that the Braided Lenses had ever seen. I was in the unique position to admire his work with some training in the craft of armorsmithing, and I must admit that even the armor that he turned out for our soldier to wear afterward surpassed anything that I had seen a master in the Mountainhomes create. The boot itself, though, surpassed everything else ten times over. A perfect, indestructible casing, forever protecting The Tooninator's right foot.

For those five years, I've worked hard to master the craft of weaponsmithing. Lanternwebs has an abundance of ore, and whenever I was not crafting swords and axes for our soldiers I would practice in copper, shaping blades and reforging them, striving towards the perfection that Olin had reached. I watched as others were seized by mysterious forces, following in Olin's path to unsurpassed skill in their crafts. Tosid, Sarvesh, Reg, Lorbam, the list went on, not even counting the ones who simply created with no memory of the method afterwards. Their works grace every room of Lanternwebs.

But with practice, my skill grew. People began comparing my swords to Olin's armor, to Tosid's mechanisms, to Sarvesh's cabinets. The same title, "legendary", was applied to me as well. I had become, they said, as skilled with practice as they had become overnight. But I still lacked the one crucial piece, the crowning work that would survive through the ages when my bones will have long returned to the mountains.

But no longer. I can feel it in my hands as they forge each sword and axe. I can see it in the corners of my vision as I sleep. I can hear it when I am alone in the forges, whispering to me over the soft sounds of the shimmering air, between the hammerstrokes that will transform a bar of steel into a weapon that could rightly be called a work of art. I shall have my crowning work, or I shall die in its forging. Perhaps both. I leave this journal in case I should die, that my intentions will be known. And know, should you be reading this after my death: There are no words to describe the beauty, the deadly perfection, of the weapon that I now go to form from the ether into reality. If the price for attempting that beauty is death, I pay that price gladly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:58:29 pm by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2009, 05:56:59 pm »

Weaponsmith mood! YES!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 09, 2009, 11:10:36 am »

Awesome. Weaponsmith mood for the win.
I call dibs on the weapo-
* Grath McUrist, Soldier, has been struck down by his fellow soldiers.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 09, 2009, 05:15:46 pm »

At last, Skjald emerged from the forges, her creation tucked beneath her cloak. She made her way to the barracks. As she entered, sparring quickly came to a halt. Skjald had already been legendary in the forge before now, and there was not a dwarf who was not eager to see what she had created.

"Is it done, then?" Asked Grath, eager to see the fine weapon that he was sure had resulted from Skjald's isolation.

"Yes, it is done." Replied Skjald, still concealing it beneath her cloak.

"Can I have it?" Asked Grath, cheekily trying to grab it away from her.

Too fast for all but the most experienced dwarves to follow, Skjald stepped sideways and brought her free hand down on Grath's back, sending him tumbling to the floor. "No, you may not. Not yet."

"Dwarves of Lanternwebs, I give you: Îmäznär." Skjald said as she brought the polished steel crossbow out from behind her cloak and raised it above her head.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Only one of you may wield it. Only one of you shall prove yourself worthy to carry Îmäznär into battle. In one year's time, I shall grant Îmäznär to the dwarf among you who has mastered both the hammer and the bolt, who can show me that they are the one who will slay the most foes if they are given this honor. Until then, it shall reside in the artifact vault, safely sealed from greedy hands." She looked down pointedly at Grath, who was just standing up from the floor, and then swept out of the room, carrying Îmäznär in her hands.

-------------
Skjald was, as was previously mentioned, already a legendary weaponsmith. That makes her definitely a legendary+5 now, and she produced one of the most awesome artifacts I've seen in DF. Setting up the competition seemed like the right thing to do, since once someone picks it up they won't drop it. Who wants to join? The "judging" is in a year, so there should be time to let people train if they want to. Only Silvereye and Flint have marksdwarf, and nobody has hammer, so everything should be fairly even.

Watching the construction was has some interesting moments too. There was one point at which Skjald was outrunning a legendary weaver down a hallway while she was hauling a 5000-weight gold block. I don't want to think about what her stats must be like now that she's gotten the mood boost.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:37:47 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 09, 2009, 05:27:31 pm »

No prize for me then.   :(

*rocks back and forth*

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 09, 2009, 08:04:53 pm »

I'll enter the competition, because if nothing else marksdwarves tend to have a higher lifespan.

If you move the save over to an identically-modded 40d you can use DFC to look at their stats and actual skill levels.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2009, 12:11:42 am »

I'll stick to my trusty old sword and shield thank you very much.

Us Swordsdwarves of Lanternwebs are the finest of the finest. The greatest of the greatest. I want to be in the thickest fighting, weaving in and out and taking heads with swift and true sword strokes for my wall. I want to repel the mightiest blows, go head to head with the vile Greenskins. Not sit behind the Shield Wall and take pot shots at the menace.

No. WorkerDrone charges forward.

For Glory Or Death!

FOR LANTERNWEBS!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2009, 09:09:44 am »

FOR LANTERNWEBS!

I call the first artifact sword!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2009, 03:08:24 pm »

Census for Lanternwebs, prepared in Autumn 114 by Endok Dedukrotod, Tax Collector
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This year has been a productive one, helped in no small measure by the 23 migrants that we welcomed and the single orcish siege that we repelled this year. Many of them are slated to be inducted into the Duchess's Grand Army, but until now have been kept busy hauling, melting, and butchering the remains of the orcish siege.

Did I mean to write "Countess"? Inod no! Shortly after the siege was broken, a messenger from the Mountainhomes arrived to inform Lady Îton of her promotion to Duchess, a promotion that she celebrated with a party at the statue garden and a request to the master smith for more furniture. Rumors are starting to spread even now that Queen Vucar herself is considering moving to Lanternwebs, but I've never put stock in such rumors myself.

Please find attached the current map of Lanternwebs, showing the current state of the fortress.

As per last year, Lanternwebs will be sending an offering of 146,000 to the mountainhomes in lieu of tax upon the arrival of the caravan.

-----------
Another caravan, another census.

Grath: I'm actually on 40d, I'll try pointing DC at it to find out what the stats are like.

And I suppose that this means I'll have to go train a bunch of migrants in weaponsmithing to get more artifact weapons...
Try my orc mod!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2009, 05:16:54 pm »

Is that a chasm at the edge of the map? With Giant Cave Spider web?
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 10, 2009, 05:56:33 pm »

Is that a chasm at the edge of the map? With Giant Cave Spider web?

That is a chasm, though I've only seen normal cave spider silk in it. We had to breech it (on levels 10 and 12) to get cave spider silk for one of Unib's mandates, and caught the skeletal troll in the process. Zon still claims that it's full of hidden giant cave spiders, already infiltrating our fortress and biding their time to murder everyone in their sleep, but nobody else believes her.
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30