Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80102 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (Now with more nobles)
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2009, 12:54:51 am »

Silvereye ran up the mountain slope, seeing the champions pull away in front of him. He wore his armor better than he had the last time he had needed to run in it, but his moderate experience could not match that of the champions: They wore their armor as a second skin, and seemed not to be slowed at all by it. At the top of the mountain waited Aslot Uraruxnu, leader of the orcs, and a foe that Flint hoped to slay before he could realize that his advance squad had been annihilated.

Yellowing grass gave way to gray andesite beneath his feet, and he could hear the first sounds of battle above him. Reaching to his side, he drew a bolt and loaded it. His first battle, he had fumbled with the unfamiliar weight of the metal bolts, but now he handled it easily, even as he ran.

Silvereye crested the mountain and looked down at the battle below. As Mebil had taught him, he brought the crossbow up and fired into the largest group of orcs that he could see, already reaching for another bolt and drawing the string back for a second shot without pausing to watch its flight. The second bolt was in and fired, flying to strike a beak dog in the head as he reached for his third bolt, lining the crossbow up with a charging wrestler.

The bolt flew true, tearing through the orc's arm as Silvereye reached for his fourth bolt. His hand closed on the empty space above the quiver. Looking up at the wrestler, he shifted his grip on the crossbow and rushed forwards.

They met with a crash, Silvereye's clumsy blow deflecting harmlessly off the orc's tough skin, but the orc's punch flying wide. Turning as the orc passed, Silvereye jammed the butt of his crossbow into the orc's back, sending it sprawling to the ground. Running to it before it could rise, he slammed his crossbow into its head, striking it until the orc's movements stopped and his crossbow was soaked in blood.

Breathing hard in his armor, Silvereye saw Kheskeim walking towards him from the battlefield.

"Your first kill. Good job. You might want to go grab some more bolts, though, or a hammer if you want to use it that way."

Silvereye nodded numbly and started walking down the mountain in silence.

-----------------
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And movie here

Another 15 dead orcs. Congratulations to Shoruke for killing Aslot.
Writing is going a bit slowly right now (since I've got a lot of other work), but the rest of the battle movies have been uploaded to the DFMA if you want to look at those early.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2009, 05:11:54 pm »

"Gather and fall back!" shouted Flint, his voice carrying clearly over the rocky battlefield. Grath furrowed his brow beneath his helmet. Why should they fall back now, when they were so close to victory? In the forest below, he could see the bulk of the orcish army, simply waiting to be slaughtered.

Could Flint himself, founder of Lanternwebs, be working with the Orcs, Grath wondered. Obviously he could not simply allow the orcs to slaughter them, the champions would defend Lanternwebs regardless of his orders. But to fight ineffectively, and allow orcs to escape... That was a possibility. This entire siege was suspicious, with Tosid ordering most of the Grand Army not to participate, and sending the most loyal troops out. Most loyal troops and Flint, he corrected himself, since Flint's loyalties were no longer clear. He would need to investigate it further in the future, after the battle. He cast a single withering look at the orcs rushing their retreat before following the rest of the champions down the mountain.

A short break to eat and drink, and Grath was once again outside, his axe ready to fend off whatever enemies might assail Lanternwebs. Flint had ordered them to keep tight formation in front of the entrance, to meet the orcs as they rushed the bridge. A cleaver plan, Grath thought to himself. Limit the space, allow loyal champions to "dodge" off the bridge to their death. Definitely a dwarf to watch in the future. For now, he would have to devote his skill to defending Lanternwebs, that it would not fall despite treachery afoot.

In the valley, he could now see the crushers advancing on them, howling their foul war cries as they brandished crudely-forged hammers. He saw Argentum, standing at his side, charge forward to meet them. There, he thought, was a dwarf that he could follow. Unafraid of danger, rushing forward to slay the enemies of the fortress. Grath watched as he met the orcish charge, his sword moving unerringly to strike down orcs and beakdogs as he danced in their midst. Grath felt, with a sudden clarity, the future if he continued to obey Flint. He saw Argentum surrounded by orcs, held down by their wrestlers as their leader shaved his beard and ordered Argentum's eyes plucked out, all while Flint ordered them to stay back 'in the name of tactics'. But he could see through Flint's tactics. He knew that he could avert Argentum's fate if he intervened.

He was not merely a dwarf as he ran forward with his shield high. He was a dwarf of the mountain, he was the mountain itself. Argentum was his wrath, and he was Argentum's defender. Like the mountain, he would stand by the loyal dwarves and protect them with stone and steel, through which the feeble strikes of the orcs could not hope to penetrate. His shield blocked the blow that he was sure would have left Argentum open to a wrestler's grasp, and he felt himself drawn into the same dance that was moving Argentum. Where he was the mountain, solid and immovable, Argentum was the water, constantly in motion as he swept the orcs from their limbs. And the mountain protected him, moving no faster than was needed to always arrive with shield or plate before the strikes that would have struck and dispersed the water. He could see nothing around him but the mountain and the water and the rivers of blood of the dying orcs.

At last, the dance slowed and he was able to see the battlefield once more. The orcs lay slain in broken piles around him, their blood staining the ground red. The other soldiers had run to the north, trying to cut off a fourth squad as they fled, but Grath was too tired to pursue. Lanterwebs still stood, and the champions were unharmed. His duty was fulfilled.

------------
Last movie here, and the pursuit of fleeing orcs here.

Final statistics:
50 kills, 48 beak dogs, and 216 body parts. No losses

The Tooninator: 11 kills
    Ashtesh: 8 kills
    Argentum: 7 kills
    Grimes: 6 kills
    Shoruke: 4 kills
    Kheskeim: 3 kills
    Grath: 3 kills
    Flint: 2 kills
    Workerdrone: 2 kills
    Wizardmon: 2 kills
    Silvereye: 1 kill
Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »

Would you like some fries with that awesome?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2009, 12:12:47 am »

Now that was a battle! Toonyman seems to be racking up the most kills.

I'm going to have to perform better then 2 kills if I want to catch up with him.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2009, 05:16:56 am »

Better and better every time.  ;D

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2009, 11:36:57 am »

Yet another Orc siege repelled :D Will they ever give up?
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2009, 07:35:29 am »

Take THAT, Flint! And all you jerks who refused to believe my conspiracies! THE GIANT MOLE PEOPLE WILL ATTACK SOME DAY, AND I WILL BE THE ONLY ONE PREPARED!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2009, 04:32:07 am »

Ah soon we will turn the whole army on Grath then see what his theories prove  :P.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2009, 02:44:01 pm »

Army Arc... Army arc... army arc...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 07, 2009, 02:12:35 am »

Yes. Having the Orcs mod attached to a release with the army arc and having over a 100 champions against a settlement featuring hundreds of Orcs would be the most epic thing in the universe.

Until then, we have this.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 07, 2009, 03:40:42 pm »

"Today, each of you fought well, and bravely." Tosid said, addressing the eleven warriors that he had chosen to defend Lanternwebs against the orcish attack as they stood before him. Behind them, the Grand Army waited, eager to hear the results of the battle. To his right stood the Countess, her presence making the ceremony official in the records of Dwarven history, her steel scepter held formally across her chest. "Though outnumbered in every battle," Tosid continued, "together you killed most of those that would assault us, and sent the rest fleeing in panic. For this alone, each of you deserves commendation."

"Two of you entered the battle already heroes. Today, you reminded each of us why you deserve the titles that you have earned. Lanternwebs recognizes The Tooninator Matuliden the Lyrics of Noiselessness and Flint Dakaskûbuk the Acrid Palm of Spines, for their continuing devotion and skill-at-arms"

"Five of you entered the battle as champions and left as heroes. Look to those who have walked this path before you to guide your steps as you carry this new weight. Remember always to defend Lanternwebs from all that threaten it, and to stand against all that would seek to remove Dwarvenkind from the Past Domain. Let their new names be forever remembered and honored. Lanternwebs now knows Shoruke Bidoksibrek the Blotted Treaty of Goals. Lanternwebs now knows Grimes Tulonsterus the Misty Dead of Dignity. Lanternwebs now knows Kheskeim Mebzuthoddom the Comet of Mazes. Lanternwebs now knows Argentum Nekoldeduk the Inky Assaults of Poetry. Lanternwebs now knows Ashtesh Litastnoram the Failed Finder of Rope. Let our enemies know each of them as well."

"Four of you fought bravely, but have not become true heroes yet. Your times will come. Continue to serve with bravery and honor. For your role in this battle, we thank you. Lanternwebs recognizes Silvereye Ashokkovish, Grath Rovodsiknug, Workerdrone Sebïrstukos, and Wizardmon Lolorumåm."

"Let all of Lanternwebs know that because of the actions that these warriors have performed today, they may lie safe tonight. May their vigilance be everlasting, their skill be unmatched, and their bravery be unwavering"

"So it shall be." Said îton, stepping forward and raising her scepter as the warriors knelt.

--------

ToonyMan's 11 kills actually brought him up to tie Flint, both now at 37 kills.

And yes, having the army arc happen will be a great day for the orc mod, both because it should mean more than 80 orcs at a time, and because being able to attack the orcs back would be awesome.

I'm also going to try to hack in war elephants for the next siege, which should make things more interesting.
Try my orc mod!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2009, 03:49:19 pm »

If you don't mind extrabadass goblins, you could mod Beak Dogs so they're still called 'beak dogs' in the data, but the displayed name and all the stats are of War Elephants

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2009, 03:56:18 pm »

If you don't mind extrabadass goblins, you could mod Beak Dogs so they're still called 'beak dogs' in the data, but the displayed name and all the stats are of War Elephants

That was, in fact, the plan. I think I have to leave the biomes intact too, but other than that it *should* work. There might be a massive continuity jump this winter if it doesn't, though (and obviously I'll be backing everything up beforehand).

Goblins in Lanternwebs unfortunately seem to be unmounted, not that I'd mind more challenging goblins.
Try my orc mod!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2009, 04:17:34 pm »

Yeah... In my latest fortress (Orc mod yay) a goblin siege results in a 'Oh, boring' reaction. I don't even close the gates, I just let the marksdwarves pick 'em off.
The Orcs aren't doing TOO much better, but they show up in larger numbers and they're tougher to kill. Last human caravan showed up in the summer and the caravan guards only had to fight off one orc - the rest fell before they got to the gates, much less inside.

A continuity jump would be a bit... jarring, though you could try doing a hybrid where you have a new fort formed by a party from Lanternwebs with the latest version of Orc Mod, then continuing the current lanternwebs for a certain amount of time before shifting all the attention to the new fort.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2009, 04:26:04 pm »

A continuity jump would be a bit... jarring, though you could try doing a hybrid where you have a new fort formed by a party from Lanternwebs with the latest version of Orc Mod, then continuing the current lanternwebs for a certain amount of time before shifting all the attention to the new fort.

Ah, I was thinking "If hacking in war elephants causes things not to work and I have to revert to the backup, we might lose some already-established events". Lanternwebs already has some established ending conditions, and I intend to keep playing it until it reaches them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:36:19 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30