Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Lanternwebs (The End!)  (Read 80113 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternwebs (Now with more nobles)
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2009, 10:07:09 pm »

Lanternwebs.

A web of fire.

OH GOD HE'S GOING TO MAKE A MAGMA MAZE. OUT OF GOLD AND STEEL.

That's so badass.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2009, 07:08:01 am »

Could I request a dwarf? Preferably military, though non-military is fine if the military's full.
Name of 'Grath' (since 'WorkerDrone' and 'Tooninator' were fine, I hope 'Grath' works)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2009, 10:36:47 am »

Seeing as how Lanternwebs Grand Army is at least 60+, I'm sure Rysith can not only GIVE you an active Dwarf, but he can give you one a few times over.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »

Workerdrone stood on the bridge to Lanternwebs, his breath clouding the cold winter air in front of him. Once more, the forces of evil had attempted to breach Lanternwebs, and once more they had been soundly defeated. This time, though, was special to him. Here, he had not been assigned to the rear lines, cutting off orcs fleeing from the polished blades of the champions. Here, he had served on the front lines, his sword biting green flesh and his shield deflecting black iron. Here, he had lead three dwarves to victory against six, and had lead them well enough that none of the enemy had escaped. Here, he had proven that The Tooninator's confidence in him was not misplaced.

He thought back to the previous month, when The Tooninator had ordered him to take two of the new recruits, Wizardmon and Ashtesh, to fend off a few skeletal mountain goats that had wandered too close to the fortress entrance. Although the enemy had not been difficult or dangerous to defeat, The Tooninator had awarded him the rank of Champion and granted him command of his own squad, the Blockaded Subtleties, as recognition. He had watched over the two recruits, guiding their development in the art of the sword, for almost a month now. Shaping them, as a metalsmith shapes glowing steel, into dwarves worthy to carry the title "Soldier of Lanternwebs".

Today had been their first test. Today, six goblins had snuck to the very gates of Lanternwebs, intent on slaughter and destruction. Today, The Tooninator had ordered the Blockaded Subtleties to drive their foes out, as their first test in combat. And today, not a single goblin had escaped death at their hands. Today had been an auspicious first combat indeed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Workerdrone turned to look back, watching Wizardmon and Astesh arguing good-naturedly about their kills. Astesh had slain four, her sword slashing in broad arcs as she charged the center of the goblin formation ahead of the squad, her bravery an example to all.

Wizardmon had slain one, but he was claiming that it should be worth more because of the distance that it flew, his sword severing both of the goblin's legs before his shield had sent its limp body arcing across the courtyard to land outside the walls.

Now, Astesh was swinging playfully at Wizardmon, the slashes easily blocked by Wizardmon's shield as the two laughed together and dwarves began hauling the corpses away to the refuse pile. Workerdrone looked forward to the day when the corpses would be orcs, rather than goblins, and the battle against eighty, rather than six. No doubt, he thought as he smiled to himself, that after such a battle Wizardmon and Astesh would still be laughing and joking in the aftermath, would still be competing in the thick of battle to slay the most foes, would still be fighting side by side even as the enemy broke and fled before their swords. They would make fine soldiers, and he was honored to be their commander.

-------------
Rysith cancels Update Lanternwebs: Internet Lost or Destroyed (The Internet was down all weekend. It was bad.)

Grath: There are plenty of military dwarves. I got you a mildly psychotic axedwarf, but I could change that if you'd like me to.
The temple is definitely a possibility. I haven't been paying much attention to the gods, but I might make a temple complex of some sort.

Also, I like the title Grand Army. I'll have to have īton declare that as its name.

Unfortunately, the ambush means that we don't get a siege this winter. More time to work on the megaprojects!

Eagle: I've already got the double-helix stairway, so a quadruple helix glass tower wouldn't be that hard for me to build. I'm not sure where I'd put it or how I'd work it into the story, though.

Workerdrone: The plans do involve webs, fire, gold, and steel, though it's going to be much more than just a magma maze.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2009, 06:51:53 pm »

Oh shit! A 3D MAGMA MAZE!  ;D

Eh, just have the helix rise up out of the ground for no reason. Or, build it and let orcs inhabit it. You dont have to do anything if you dont want to, i just tossed the idea out.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2009, 10:48:22 pm »

Psychotic? And axe-dwarf? Sounds extra-dwarven.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2009, 11:50:44 pm »

BUT!

But, I was right about the Magma Maze, riiiiiight?

Right?!

Oh yeah! Right on the mark for once!

WorkerDrone: 1

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2009, 07:46:28 am »

Also, another thing I just realized: You said 'mildly psychotic'. This is Dwarf Fortress... So my dwarf is possibly the most sane member of the fort?

Wizardmon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2009, 12:13:00 pm »

Wizardmon had slain one, but he was claiming that it should be worth more because of the distance that it flew, his sword severing both of the goblin's legs before his shield had sent its limp body arcing across the courtyard to land outside the walls.

I laughed.  :)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2009, 03:46:30 pm »

From the journal of Zon Kidetrith, Dungeon Master, Winter 113

First the good news, I suppose. Always better to start off with the good news. The good news is that there haven't been any giant spiders coming out of the chasm to kill us all, and the skeletal troll that did come out of the chasm was caught and put in the barracks, where I'm sure it will get smashed to pieces if it ever escapes from the cage. It's a wonderful study in anatomy, but I think I'd rather have it fully dead, so I could study it without it trying to reach through the bars and rip my arms off. But, we're not all dead yet, despite Unib. That's good news.

The bad news, though, is that rumors of our wealth have spread far enough that a dragon decided that we'd make an excellent place to steal from. Now we could have dealt with it the sensible way, put a dozen steel bolts into it from fifty paces, butchered the meat, and made some nice dragon-bone crowns and a dragon-leather cloak. No problems, and some nice decorations left over.

Of course, we couldn't do things the simple way. Someone gets it into their head that it would make a a nice pet, the mechanics get sent out to the bridge to set up cages (Thank Inod we had some extra steel cages left over), the dragon charges in and *bam* we've got a dragon in a cage.

"Problem solved!", you might think. "Threat of dragon attack: none", you might think. But oh no. See, getting the dragon in the cage is only half the trouble. You can't just keep it in the cage, since if it gets out (and it's sure to, eventually), it lights something on fire and the entire fortress collapses into smoke and miasma. So, you've got to tame it. And you can't send just anyone to tame a dragon, of course. If you send in an inexperienced animal trainer, you end up with a slightly less hungry dragon and no animal trainer.

But joy! Lanternwebs just happens to have a Dungeon Master, fearless in the face of stupidly dangerous, really bad ideas! We'll just get her to go tame the dragon, so it won't light everything on fire. She's talked about learning about dragons in school, and everyone knows that once you know about their anatomy getting them to be your friend is second nature. I'm sure it will be no problem at all to convince the enormous fire-breathing death machine that it should settle down and curl up by the magma forge. No problem at all. We'll just ask Zon to head down to the cage and have a little chat with it. It's not like it can breath fire through the bars, or break the cage, or anything like that. Not at all.

And even assuming that I can tame it, it's still an enormous fire-breathing death machine. It could still kill us all, by accident. What if a kobold snuck in and bumped into our "pet" dragon? Whoosh! Kobold on fire, fortress in flames. Smoke fills the corridors, then the miasma of rotting bodies, and the fortress crumbles to dust.

But no. Somebody needs a fancy pet, so I need to go tame a dragon. This is an even worse idea than Unib's breaching of the chasm.

----------
Pictures that didn't fit into the journal entry at all:

So (since DF taming doesn't work nearly as pessimistically as Zon implies), we've got a tame dragon now. I'm pretty sure that it is going to end up curled up by the magma forges, though, since I'm not sending it out into combat or anything like that.

Workerdrone: The symbol of the Theater of Beards is a ritual labyrinth. It seemed only dwarfy to make one at the main entrance. Filled with magma, because that's dwarfier than a mural.

Grath: The personality that I was thinking for you was mostly based on the "reserved", "enjoys stability", "doesn't trust others", "doesn't like to compromise", and "is immodest". Always suspicious that others are trying to undermine the social order and collapse the fortress. "Mildly" might be a bit of an understatement. Plus, he's got an axe.

Try my orc mod!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2009, 03:52:55 pm »

PET DRAGON!!! Doop a dopa dopa!!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2009, 09:54:47 am »

Sounds good. I'm just making the joke that it seems like ALL dwarves of DF are psychotic.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2009, 07:26:01 pm »

From the journal of the Countess īton Gimgoden, Winter 113

I can feel it already. I have not yet spent a year in this place, and already the fantastic seems ordinary. Events that would have sent the mountainhomes into a flurry of gossip pass like a cool breeze through an underground passageway, refreshing but brief, fading back into the flow of life almost immediately.

I suppose I should record them anyway, that some day they may cease, and I should want to look back fondly on them, even if I cannot view them as anything but ordinary now.

Winter saw the capture and taming of a dragon, Osram Dorenotil the Luxuries of Flame. I'm not sure what skills Zon used to tame the beast, but it now graces the statues in the statue garden (statues, I might add, that would be the crowning jewel for any Duke of the mountainhomes), his long body and great wings adorning the platinum-sculpted images of the legendary figures of the Theater of Beards. Where the mountainhomes would have clustered around the beast, admiring the steel-hard scales or fleeing in terror from the spearlike teeth, in Lanternwebs it gives rides to children.

With the taming of the dragon, one of our metalworkers was inspired and created another of Lanternweb's peculiar works of art. The piece that he created is a heavy steel chain, the links each studded with steel and dolomite, with bands of carp leather, naked mole dog leather, and beak dog bone. At one end is an image of the Queen holding her royal scepter on the day of her coronation, masterfully cut out of a clear diamond. At the center is an image of cave spiders in green glass, and at the other end is an image of water-bound nightmares in giant cave spider silk. I've asked that it be installed in the statue garden, holding the dragon that inspired it, but that has yet to be done.

And finally, we were attacked by goblins yet again. Rather, I should say that the goblins attempted to attack us. Two snatchers were sighted high in the mountains, both being attacked by the herd of skeletal mountain goats that roam there.
Though I think that goblin thieves should always be considered a dire threat, Flint ordered several of the new recruits, accompanied by a single adviser, to deal with the remains of the skirmish. Though they dealt with the victorious mountain goats easily enough, I can't help but wonder if there are more goblins lying in wait to try to steal dwarven babies away from here.

-------
Grath: I know all of the DF dwarves are psychotic. You're mildly psychotic if we define a normal DF dwarf as "normal". Flint is probably the sanest of the military, actually. You'll make a good partner for Grimes.
Try my orc mod!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2009, 07:45:18 pm »

Has Silvereye even done anything? Seems like he just sits there after that one initial attack..

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2009, 08:53:45 pm »

I haven't done enough killing yet!  :(

But the magma maze sounds epic.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30