Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: when Dwarf Fortress hits v. 1.0...  (Read 3593 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: when Dwarf Fortress hits v. 1.0...
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 01:50:18 pm »

When dwarf fortress hits 1.0, all of toadies work will be destroyed by the sun going supernova.

The Sun won't go supernova, it doesn't have enough mass. Instead it will become a red giant and eventually throw off it's outer layers, forming a nebula and cool down to a white dwarf.

Sorry, the science nerd in me got a hold there for a second...  ::)

The red giant's radius will go to Jupiter, I think. So, same result.

No, I'm pretty sure a supernova is a massive explosion brighter than the entire Milky Way and blows a ginourmous hole in the surrounding area (i.e. there be a dark spot there, yo) and that a red giant is merely a large, red, star.

Giant stellar fireball destroying everything on the planet = Giant stellar fireball destroying everything on the planet.

The mechanics and radius past Earth are implimentation details...

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 04:13:52 pm »

When dwarf fortress hits 1.0, all of toadies work will be destroyed by the sun going supernova.

The Sun won't go supernova, it doesn't have enough mass. Instead it will become a red giant and eventually throw off it's outer layers, forming a nebula and cool down to a white dwarf.

No, I'm pretty sure a supernova is a massive explosion brighter than the entire Milky Way and blows a ginourmous hole in the surrounding area (i.e. there be a dark spot there, yo) and that a red giant is merely a large, red, star.

Giant stellar fireball destroying everything on the planet = Giant stellar fireball destroying everything on the planet.

that's enough, you two.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 04:19:47 pm »

that's enough, you two.

Yes, because if you don't stop that will be another thread derailed.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 04:22:57 pm »

One can never have enough astrophysics.

Anyway, I think that the donation model that's currently being used would probably work just fine; throw in some merchandise, and you've got a successful business plan. It's one of those 'thousand true fans' deals. If enough people like your work enough to give you money, you're golden. There's not really a need to sell the game commercially.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 04:26:08 pm »

I liked the previous discussion mode, so: when do you think v. 1.0 will become reality?

let the tongue-in-cheek humor abound!

"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »

Anyway, I think that the donation model that's currently being used would probably work just fine; throw in some merchandise, and you've got a successful business plan. It's one of those 'thousand true fans' deals. If enough people like your work enough to give you money, you're golden. There's not really a need to sell the game commercially.

A commercial DF would not do good in the gaming industry, I'd say this because we don't really appeal to any big crowds out there.

Course if we get graphics, (hopefully with an ascii art extension) a better menu system, a more useful manual, definitive answers to mining, and a couple of other things I'm missing. I'm sure DF would sell quite decently, though I will say I wouldn't pay more than 35$ for a commercial version if DF came out like it is right now.

I liked the previous discussion mode, so: when do you think v. 1.0 will become reality?

I'd say in a decade or so.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 04:47:01 pm »

A commercial DF would not do good in the gaming industry, I'd say this because we don't really appeal to any big crowds out there.

Course if we get graphics, (hopefully with an ascii art extension) a better menu system, a more useful manual, definitive answers to mining, and a couple of other things I'm missing. I'm sure DF would sell quite decently, though I will say I wouldn't pay more than 35$ for a commercial version if DF came out like it is right now.

I'd say in a decade or so.

that wasn't tongue in cheek at all!

you're fired

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 05:42:32 pm »

Explain this tongue in cheek business than!

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 07:04:02 pm »

I want to hear about dark ages, higher forms of entertainment, and the eventual depopulation of earth.

or not, whatever

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 07:54:48 pm »

When DF 1.00 comes out, I will have an army of children to follow me on my adventures.  They will all be my descendants, though not necessarily my sons and daughters.  I am currently unmarried.

When DF 1.00 comes out, humanity will have hit the Population cap on earth, depriving elephants the ability to have children.  Thus our victory over the evil grey menace will be both complete and bloodless.

When DF 1.00 comes out, China will have been depopulated in a war over the proper way to wear socks.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 08:56:18 pm »

thank you rockphed. what you lack in subtly, you make up for with earnestness
and I congratulate you on your effort.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 10:04:08 pm »

When DF1.0 comes out Toady will look up and notice that the whole world has been abandoned and hes the only one left, he didn't notice though because he was to busy programming.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cookiemonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 01:57:08 pm »

When DF1.0 comes out Toady will look up and notice that the whole world has been abandoned and hes the only one left, he didn't notice though because he was to busy programming.

At least hes got chicken.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 02:00:40 pm »

At least hes got chicken.

Just incase no one plays WOW or dose not use the internet enough.

(I don't play World of warcraft, I just don't go outside enough)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 01:42:45 am »

when Dwarf Fortress hits v. 1.0... everyone will be to busy playing Duke Nukem Forever.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.
Pages: 1 [2] 3