Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: when Dwarf Fortress hits v. 1.0...  (Read 3583 times)

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
when Dwarf Fortress hits v. 1.0...
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:48:14 am »

will it be sold commercially? or at all officially?
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: when Dwarf Fortress hits v. 1.0...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:55:17 am »

Toady has certainly never made any indication that he will attempt to publish DF through the traditional channels for a fee, and has even said in the past that he thinks such things are not the way he prefers to create and do business. He has been approached, by my recollection, from certain unnamed parties wishing to 'publish' DF electronically through various websites, but thus far he has turned them down, citing that he doesn't think the way he likes to do things is conductive to a traditional business model.

I'm sure if Toady wanted to make money (well... on a per-copy basis) from DF, he certainly could. But for now I think he's happy doing what he's doing for the love of it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:57:22 am by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:56:29 am »

Does it matter?  Earth will be post-scarcity by that time.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 01:58:17 am »

I'm not sure I can answer that.
By the time DF reaches 1.0, we'd have hit technological singularity, and there's no knowing whether the concept of selling, or even the concept of gaming, would still be relevant.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 02:20:51 am »

^^^
Ray Kurzweil approves :P

Seriously, I highly doubt DF will ever be sold in a serious way.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 02:23:35 am »

I'm not sure I can answer that.
By the time DF reaches 1.0, we'd have hit technological singularity, and there's no knowing whether the concept of selling, or even the concept of gaming, would still be relevant.

If there're anyone or anything intelligent still around, you can bet it'd want entertainment  ;)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 02:26:11 am »

Post Scarcity? Actually, right now we're in pre-scarcity. In thirty years, when you're looting the ruins of a K-mart for enough charged AA batteries to run your computer for a game of DF 0.4 or something, let me know if you're feeling more or less scarcity.

Of course, by DF 1.0, we could probably have engineered our way out of the dark ages again...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 02:52:05 am »

When DF 1.0 comes out, there will be a great discussion as to whether the ASCII graphics are really well suited to 3d holographic displays, with half the forum saying there are more important things to develop, and half the forum threatening to switch to JADE 0.0.1.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:01:27 pm by Zaratustra »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 05:53:36 am »

When dwarf fortress hits 1.0, all of toadies work will be destroyed by the sun going supernova.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 08:40:47 am »

Hm, there is a similar topic like this, or even more?...at least IIRC. Ah well.  ;D
1. When DF v1.0 will be released I will be at least 30y old I guess. [I am 24y old now]  :-X
2. I am pretty sure that DF v1.0 will be the most complex and diverse game what's been created ever.  8)
3. Probably Call of Duty [FPS game serie] 12. will be released by that time. [Considering that CoD 6. is going to be released in 2009.]  ;D

accent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 10:40:05 am »

When dwarf fortress hits 1.0, all of toadies work will be destroyed by the sun going supernova.

The Sun won't go supernova, it doesn't have enough mass. Instead it will become a red giant and eventually throw off it's outer layers, forming a nebula and cool down to a white dwarf.

Sorry, the science nerd in me got a hold there for a second...  ::)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 10:52:44 am »

When Version 1.0?.??.?? comes out, well.

I'm pretty sure allot of shit will have happened by than, shit being an indiscriminate way of saying historical events. And in my book DF V1.0 will be in the worlds time line.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 11:46:59 am »

What is this "sun" of which you speak?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:33 am »

The Sun won't go supernova, it doesn't have enough mass. Instead it will become a red giant and eventually throw off it's outer layers, forming a nebula and cool down to a white dwarf.

The red giant's radius will go to Jupiter, I think. So, same result.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 12:41:25 pm »

The red giant's radius will go to Jupiter, I think. So, same result.

No, I'm pretty sure a supernova is a massive explosion brighter than the entire Milky Way and blows a ginourmous hole in the surrounding area (i.e. there be a dark spot there, yo) and that a red giant is merely a large, red, star.
Pages: [1] 2 3