Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Port of LCS to nintendo DS ?  (Read 3897 times)

JeebusSez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Port of LCS to nintendo DS ?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 08:07:52 am »

DS has a touch screen, it's better than a mouse for clicking on stuff.

R and L buttons can act as shift buttons giving us 3x8-4=26 combinations, excluding unshifted directional buttons...

I've been debating this myself. Use the stylus or use the buttons? Using the stylus would simply mean making giant boxes for the user to click on; it seems like it'd be pretty tacky, and reverting to infiltration mode would mean either giant ugly arrows for navigation.

Using the dpad + keys however seems more intuitive, both to navigate menus and during infiltration mode; the dpad would be used to move, and each of the keys (abxy) could be assigned to the unique commands (use, fight, talk). Not only is this more sensible, but it would be something that would be easily ported to a different handheld system with a similar control scheme (d-pad + 4key + shoulders), which means less work for everyone. This is the one I'm leaning toward; sure, LCS might lose some of it's charm, but better to have a new interface than to have an illegible keyboard you're pecking at all day long.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 03:43:21 am »

For me the discussion is purely academic, but if I were designing the interface for a DS version of LCS, I'd completely cast out the current UI and use both stylus and buttons, redundantly whenever possible -- in my mind, the interface would be ideally designed if you can set the DS on a table and prod it with a stylus OR hold it in both hands and press buttons to play the entire game with minimal required crossover between the two styles, just player preference.

While exploring the map, the top screen would hold character status information and the bottom would hold the map. Holding the stylus on the map screen could move you in that direction. Tap doors to open or unlock; if there ought to be a confirmation, so that the player doesn't accidentally take risky actions, pop up a radial menu (as in The Sims) or a drop-down menu, and let you tap the option to take it. There would be a button to pull down an action menu or use things in the corner, and tapping options in the menu would select them. Your actual DS buttons would also be available to serve the same functions -- L and R could be used to drop down an action menu, and arrows would navigate the menu.

I'm not intimately familiar with the specs for the DS, but from what I've seen I'm sure it's plenty powerful to handle the processing involved in LCS. The perception that LCS uses complex simulation of the issues mostly comes from the ungainly lag when lots of time passes, and there it's not the simulation that's expensive, it's the sheer amount of simulating that has to be done. A more polished graphical game would hide this by making a pretty animation of a calendar tearing away or scenes from prison or something, and you'd not think anything of it, since you'd recognize that it's just "a long time passing".

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 06:13:41 am »

I'm suprised no one called me out on this, but here goes. 8x3-4=20 not 26, however, the start and select button on the psp are not included in the calculation, so when they are added in, it jumps back to 26.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 11:26:22 pm »

If this is ever made, we need to spoof the commercials for the corporate Nintendo DS games.  You know, where two famous hollywood types sit around playing Nintendo DS.

:) My Liberal Founder just killed a teenager, which was his 100th conservative swine!

:D Wow, you're awesome!

*Nintendo DS--Kill those Corporate Dogs!*

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 01:53:57 am »

"Get arrested for plotting terrorism on your DS because conservative shit-for-brains cops can't tell the difference between a good game and a terrorist plot!"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 04:31:33 pm »

The best games ARE terrorist plots.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 08:40:26 am »

Imagine playing that on the street. A conservative cop comes around and says:

"What's all this then?"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50:45 am »

Gonna tinker with the PSP possibilities when I get home (somebody remind me tommorow evening!). I know there is a functional Curses library for the PSP as well as on-screen keyboard interfaces and the like. I also know there is a version of DOSBOX on PSP that can even boot into Windows 95 and 98, so that may also be worth looking into (actually, probably first since it's harder to code than to boot homebrew that already exists.)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 12:35:53 pm »

A conservative necromancer!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 10:26:10 pm »

A conservative necromancer!

Mwahahaha.

So I did some basic testing of the DOSBOX method, and was able to get into Windows 95 anyways, albeit slowly. Going to work on the img file if I can, it's hard to edit apperently as a bootable hd img. Need to reduce the size a bit and copy the LCS files into it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]