Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couple modding questions!  (Read 878 times)

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Couple modding questions!
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:55:34 am »

I've been thinking of modding dwarves to be able to use dagger, and possibly make one out of bones. How would I go around doing these? And as a bonus, could someone tell me how to make a bone block reaction?  ;D

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Couple modding questions!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:35:07 pm »

You can create a matgloss, say "Bone".  Then [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCK:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BONE]  This should make a Bone Block(tm)

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:04:26 pm »

This will create blocks out of elf bones:

[PRODUCT:100:15:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:ELF]

If you want something else, just substitute a different monster.  If you want just generic bone, you could try replacing ELF with NONE, but that might just result in your furnace operator dying horrifically.  Otherwise, you'll have to make up your own rock called "bone" and make it the same color as bone, and then do what Pure_W suggested.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:07:19 pm »

Add [RANGED:NO_MATGLOSS:NO_MATGLOSS] to the dagger. Build a bowyers. There, you can make wood AND bone daggers.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:49 pm »

As far as dwarves wielding daggers, that's easy to do- simply add the appropriate weapon to dwarves in entity_default (I believe you can find an example in the kobold entry). However, there is a problem - you can not tell your dwarves to become "daggermen" or whatever - it is not in the list of military jobs that fortress mode allows you to assign. Making "daggers" that actually use the sword skill is a good way around this.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:30:33 pm »

Thanks for the infos, now to fiddle around  ;D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:51:08 pm »

Add [RANGED:SWORD:BLOWDART] instead of [RANGED:NO_MATGLOSS:NO_MATGLOSS] and you will get daggers that can be made at the bowyers and will be equipped when you tell your dwarves to become swordsman.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:59:57 pm »

Add [RANGED:SWORD:BLOWDART] instead of [RANGED:NO_MATGLOSS:NO_MATGLOSS] and you will get daggers that can be made at the bowyers and will be equipped when you tell your dwarves to become swordsman.

That fixed the error I got from NO_MATGLOSS  :) still messing around with bone blocks, going the stone route for safety

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:56 pm »

Yeah, the RANGED part is required and makes it create-able in the bowyer's shop, the SWORD part is the weapon skill that you want them to equip it with, however, for a melee weapon the [SKILL:??] tag is the tag that sets what skill they use for melee and allows you to create weapons that can be equipped with one type of skill set, (such as axe), yet fight with another, (such as tanning) The last part, BLOWDART, must be a real type of ammo for you not to get errors, but unless you want them to be able to shoot bolts from their daggers it should probably be set to a type that doesn't occur naturally, like blowdarts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:09 pm »

Got it all to work  ;D

reaction_standard.txt addition for bone stone production
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

matgloss_stone_mineral.txt addition for bone stone

item_weapon.txt addition for daggers for dwarves

and only addition to entity_default.txt is to dwarves with [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER]

Also I noticed the bone stone reaction won't take skulls, should I assume that skull have different tag than bones, maybe SKULLS?

ed: corrected the reaction entry, pasted from first test
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:09:44 pm by TettyNullus »

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 08:49:02 pm »

I thought this'd work, but apparently, the :SKULL:NO_MATGLOSS don't works, nor does :BONES:NO_MATGLOSS and :SKULLS:NO_MATGLOSS according to error log, they're all unrecognized material tokens. Any ideas? I tried BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:SKULL:NO_MATGLOSS, but they takes regular bones instead

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 11:56:40 pm »

The matgloss token is BONE, not BONES.

Try this

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BONE_STONES]
[NAME:make bone stone from bones]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BONE]

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 12:04:42 am »

the bone to bone stone reaction works fine, the skull don't, so far I've figured out that

[REAGENT:4:SKULL:NO_SUBTYPE:*

bit works fine, but :SKULL:*] don't, and :BONE:NO_MATGLOSS] don't works since it don't recognize NO_MATGLOSS, but does recognize the BONE, I tried ANY in place of NO_MATGLOSS, but no dice.

Is the only way to use skulls in reactions to use specific creatures instead of being able to generalize it?

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 03:45:23 am »

I'm not quite sure how to make skulls even work at all.  Every time I've tried smelting a skull, the smelter spits out bird skulls, regardless of what species or matglass is used. o_O