Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A cave spanning the entire world?  (Read 2062 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
A cave spanning the entire world?
« on: December 11, 2008, 12:24:05 am »

Is it possible to set the world gen parameters to create a cave that spans the entire world?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A cave spanning the entire world?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

Would it work maybe?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:42:46 am »

I don't think caves can span that long. (Based on how the quest in a cave locater thingy works)
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:45:26 am »

based on the what? What if i made it make at least 1 cave maximum 1 cave and What is the largest value for size?

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:00:56 am »

apparently max  cave size is 500 wonder why....

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:39:45 am »

Has to do with fort locations.  If you had 1 cave span the entire world then your fort would also span the entire world.

Imagine the lag.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:44:08 am »

Fortress that spans the world, that'd be pretty mind-boggling, and with Dwarf at the helm, it'd turn into an Ecumenopolis pretty quickly  ;D

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenopolis for those that don't knows )

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:25:38 am »

I'm sure when Toady fixes site sprawl, multi-world-map-tile caves will be available.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:57 am »

So if you embarked on an entire pocket world......the sheer amount of time it would take to SCROLL FROM ONE END TO ANOTHER.

But when the caravan/life cycle arcs are implemented and DF is optimized to all hell, you could zoom to a human town and see the caravan forming and heading to your fort n' everything. And you could make some pretty impressive constructions, since you have ALL the height levels to play with.

The question is, where does the wagon start?

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 08:28:05 am »

I believe features can't span more than one map block unless specially designed to do so (such as roads and rivers)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:45 pm »

What about a pocket world with several large caves? Could i then strategically build forts and mine to connect them?

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 01:18:33 pm »

A cave that covered the whole world? ...That'd be more like the real surface of the world, with pillars supporting a spherical overhanging overcrust.

Or the Underdark.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 03:26:15 pm »

A cave that covered the whole world? ...That'd be more like the real surface of the world, with pillars supporting a spherical overhanging overcrust.

Or the Underdark.

You hit the nail on the head.

PLANES: Once it's all established, you can make regions arbitrarily strange, and you make a lot of them. The real chore here is allowing multiple world maps to be active in one way or another and to allow game elements to move between them. It would be a headache to program, but it would add a lot to the game.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 06:04:14 pm »

Here I thought this would be about MAKING a cave that spans the entire world.

Is it possible to embark on overlapping segments of the world map to expand a tunnel or other construction further? Or does it only reclaim on the same map segment used originally?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 06:17:09 pm »

Reclaim only works on the exact site of your old settlement, but I believe the Embark Anywhere utility works around this (emphasis on "I believe").
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: [1] 2