Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drawbridges and water  (Read 456 times)

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drawbridges and water
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:49 pm »

I recently embarked on a site with what is essentially a 6 z-level deep crater which has no access to the map edges unless one climbs the surrounding mountains.  I plan to build a fortress on this site, and then use a nearby brook (the brook is running along the top of the mountain range) to create an artificial lake in this crater, with my primary fortress at the bottom of said new lake.  I need to know if raised drawbridges are considered watertight or not, as I would like to use them as a doomsday mechanism which will drown my fortress in the event of a tantrum spiral.

tldr;  Building a fortress at the bottom of a lake, will drawbridges keep water out?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:52:32 pm by Mook »

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drawbridges and water
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:52:16 pm »

yep, I tend to use drawbridges nowadays for spots where nobody's supposed to go through normally, due to it's crushing nature, it keeps water in very well too

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:56:41 pm »

Fantastic.  I just realized that it would be even better to just wall off the edges of the map on every level below the brook as there are only a few non-blocked points anyway, so that I can submerge the entire map.  It's a pity I don't have magma to go with the sand, or I could create an underwater glass fortress.

SECONDARY QUESTION:  Do trees only grow if they're on tiles labeled "outside" (tower caps don't count).  This will obviously limit my ability to generate wood for charcoal, but if the trees located within my current courtyard will continue to regrow despite being under 10 stories of water, then everything is cool.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:01:28 pm by Mook »

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:23 am »

Indoor areas will continue to grow grass so they should continue to grow trees as well.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:02:01 am »

I've had tree sprout up from inside of my outdoor structures, so I believe as long as it have light, it'll sprout trees, just be prepared wait for a long time for it to grow up  ;)

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:45:26 am »

Awesome.  So I expect outdoor farm plots would work in the same way, then.  Looks like I'll be building a freshwater Rapture.  Thanks for the answers.