Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why can't I dam my river?  (Read 1250 times)

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I dam my river?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:47 am »

Wasn't your Dam going to generate power? Meaning it would have to allow water to flow through it anyways...

So its not worthless! It just means you can't kill all the fish on one side of the river is-all.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Xort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 07:16:31 am »

Um look to the left of the dam, your water level is falling.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 08:36:39 am »

Um look to the left of the dam, your water level is falling.

I'll be damned, I didn't even notice that. Honestly though what kind of sense does that make that's why I didn't even look over there heh.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:39 pm »

My "God Dam" is saved! Yes!
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41:48 pm »

Wasn't your Dam going to generate power? Meaning it would have to allow water to flow through it anyways...

So its not worthless! It just means you can't kill all the fish on one side of the river is-all.

It's a dam that stops two rivers in one go, and only a partial damming in the first place. I will never use the sheer amount of power it generates, so running only the portion of canal-water I'm generating off of the smaller river (which can be dammed independently of the major river) will still generate enough to run over a hundred pumps.

The way I have it set up, I'm diverting the major river into three channels from the dam, two underground streams, which can be toggled on or off, the middle runoff, which when the underground streams are full/off, will mean free flow of water. This river also feeds my cistern, my obsidian chamber, and my city's canalworks/underworks...

This entire map is a megaproject. I don't want to give too much away, because the Chronicle will be a riot of it's own right, and the pictures will be jaw-dropping.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »

My dam is going to serve as a bridge and a power plant, also. I plan to have waterfalls all over my fort and all that water needs to get pumped back up to the surface somehow.

Mine probably won't use as much stone as yours but I'm making mine out of obsidian so I can engrave it. I might build a pyramid this way as well.
Pages: 1 [2]