Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why can't I dam my river?  (Read 1253 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't I dam my river?
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:38:48 pm »

So my map has a 30 tile wide river on it that I decided to dam by dumping magma all over it. Well now there's a big patch of obsidian sitting in the middle of the river now and...the water is still flowing, in both directions away from my island in fact.

I had plans for this river and this is ruining them what do I do now?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I dam my river?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:42:05 pm »

If the dam doesn't cover the whole width of the river, just try again. You should be able to get it eventually.

There are also other ways to dam rivers, like waiting for them to freeze and then damming, or getting lucky with pumps.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:42:16 pm »

Could you post a screen shot so I fully understand the situation?
The great game of Warlocks!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:51:17 pm »

Still... Flowing? In which regards? Going over the obsidian? Going around the sides that don't have an obsidian wall made yet?

And by away what do you mean? Like the river water source is now that island? or (if you have heat on and are on a hot/scorching climate) it could be evaporating O.o
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »

Sure here:

The arrows show the directions the water is flowing in.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:08:10 pm »

Ya, that definitely appears to be flowing away... uhm... I'd say check water level on both sides... gives it a lil while to see what happens?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 10:11:48 pm »

I've got 7/7 tiles all around the island.

Just going to toss this out there though. There are two smaller rivers that feed into this one via waterfalls. HOWEVER! I dammed those so they're no longer spilling into it. But just an fyi.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:13:27 pm »

Are you positively sure that both sides are open to source/drainage points? try rigging up a pair of pumps to pump water one way, and see what happen ( and the other way to make sure, and see what happen too )

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 10:14:57 pm »

It looks to me like their's a source somewhere under the obsidian.... Maybe the cap didn't cover it all. Try enlarging it.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 10:15:30 pm »

Hmm, well I'm not a 100 percent sure. I'd say wait a while. See what happens. It could just be that the water appears to be flowing away. Unless there was some sorta glitch and the water falls were the source and the left and right sides are the exit for the river... O.o doubtfully, but it's a possible.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:22:12 pm »

Ok I just noticed something else. Both of the smaller rivers I mentioned are to the east of the patch. The water flows east from the obsidian until it reaches those rivers, then it looks like the flow reverses on itself. I uploaded the save if anyone wants to see for themselves.

http://www.innerfilth.com/~mike/Axeclan.rar

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 10:30:51 pm »

Very interesting. I guess keep waiting it out.

Oh.. I was looking at my main dwarf champions name...

I nicknamed him... "Mike" (my name)

He has 95 total kills atm.

His dwarf name is... Ustanlokum Sosadegath Mikstal

Translated it is... Blamelessspears the Ivory Jungle of Ownershi(I'm guessing it is ownership. the screen can't display the entire name)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 01:19:33 am »

You know, what you probably did was just dam the river at one point, even though it's still being fed downstream of that point by SMALLER rivers. So you have one side of the dam being fed by the normal river entrance, and the other side by the smaller rivers.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 01:37:56 am »

For performance reasons major rivers don't flow, they simply spawn water if an adjacent tile is missing its liquidness. 

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 03:17:16 am »

For performance reasons major rivers don't flow, they simply spawn water if an adjacent tile is missing its liquidness. 

This makes my "God Dam" Project completely worthless, good to know...
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread
Pages: [1] 2