Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Six Questions  (Read 1141 times)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Six Questions
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:15:07 pm »

1) Melting - I have heard differing reports on how much melting yields. Is it 1/3 or 1/9 of what went into the product?
Additionally, will a single bolt yield nothing? Or will it yield 1/3(or 1/9) of 1/25 of a bar?

2) I have for many years now had human and dwarven traders who enter the map crawling along the ground. They take forever to reach my depot, sometimes even after everyone has embarked (thus preventing any trading from taking place). There is almost always at least 1 trader who has this problem, but they never have any visible injuries or liabilities. Any ideas what is happening?

3) For strange mood requirements - do constructed blocks affect the item requirement? Is it total owned items, or total produced (even if lost)?

4) I never get any wildlife. All my hunters have been doing nothing for years. I had previously heard that animals didn't really go extinct, they just were replaced by other animals if they were hunted too much. How does this system work? Am I doomed to never hunting again?

5) Can fish travel through screw pumps? I see them sometimes in my water tower. Or, do they spawn in any water source connected to a brook, or somesuch?

6) My dwarves won't pick up the hoard of new clothes I made them. Is there any way to encourage them to do so? Also, my  Dungeon Master has 9 cloaks on. I thought dwarves avoided doing that.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Six Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 01:26:33 pm »

1) 1/3, dont remember about bolts, think it was bugged and you got 1/3 ingot per stack, even if there's only 1 in it.

2) Occured to me too, a snailslow wagon prevented trade. I think is yet another bug as the oposite can happen where a wagon can travel the map in a few seconds

3)I cite the wiki "Strange moods can only occur when there is no currently active strange mood, there are eligible dwarves, you have had a population higher then 20 at some point and the maximum number of artifacts is not met. If all three of these conditions are true, the game may trigger a strange mood according to the frequency below.

When a fortress is started, an internal counter is set to 1000. Around 11 or 12 times per day, this counter is decremented by 1. When the counter would ordinarily be decremented when it has already reached zero, there is a 1 in 500 chance that a strange mood will strike. This means there is approximately a 2.7% chance of a strange mood per day, and a 48.97% chance of a strange mood per month, when all conditions are met."

4) extinction exists but traveling packs of animals can appear.

5) fish that can be shot at(carp etc.) will not pass through pumps but i think rather than passing through they spawn in the water.

6) they change clothes when the ones they have rot or if they like the item in question, like your dungeon master.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:17:20 pm »

6)
hmmm, so then if I don't have any extra clothes when a dwarf loses, say, a sock due to rotting - then when I DO produce a sock, they won't ever trigger the behavior to replace a rotting sock with a new one (since they don't have one at all), and thus will never wear another sock?

thanks for the info

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

Not necesarily. The dwarf will want a new sock no matter what, even if it means waiting until somebody gets around to making one.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:43:03 pm »

and that's something I'd like to automate, clothing construction.  it's a real pain producing enough clothing for an entire fort of dwarves whos clothing is rottin off thier short hairy little bodies.  But the idea of a nudist Dwarf fort is even more traumatizing
Demon of Darkness

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:22:41 pm »

5. the fish you are seeing will be vermin fish (like trout and turtles).  they will spawn in any water from what I can tell.  You can catch and eat them.  The other fish are bigger and show up on your units list, these cannot get through pumps/grates etc.  (like carp and sturgons)  These fish will eat you.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »

5. the fish you are seeing will be vermin fish (like trout and turtles).  they will spawn in any water from what I can tell.  You can catch and eat them.  The other fish are bigger and show up on your units list, these cannot get through pumps/grates etc.  (like carp and sturgons)  These fish will eat you.

However, I have only seen these vermin fish spawn up about 4-5 levels of pumps, whereas I have plenty of ponds and lakes higher up that no fish ever spawn in. Is there a limit to how 'far' from a brook they can spawn?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:36:48 pm »

I dont think so, Ive seen cavefish in cistens down pretty deep (10+ z levels I think), pumping out aquifiers also seems to thow out a lot of these vermin fish.  I must admit that I havent tried any deep down fishing though.  you still see them on maps without brooks too.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:14:56 pm »

I've seen fish spawn on the opposite side of the map from the brook in my cistern.  so I just opened the top of it to fish from there :)
Demon of Darkness

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:40:22 pm »

Fishes spawns pretty much -anywhere- there're water, though IIRC, fishing is limited to 'outside' environment (I've had fishers going to murky pools, brooks, top of my water tower (!!) and any stable water sources in general, though I might be wrong about outside only limit )  ;) and as far as I know -nothing- can travel through screwpumps, assuming you've walled off around the spot that blocks travel.

As for clothings, don't bother, the idea might seem horrible to leave them clotheless but the clothing system's bugged currently, dwarves won't dress properly even if you gives them whole outfits.

And for melting, it's 1/10 of material size, while production of item's 1/3 material size rounded up, up to 3 http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Melt_item (Personally, I think it's very wasteful, but it's currently hardcoded in so I can't complain ) and yes, stacks are bugged, one bolt gives as much as a whole stack  ;)

As for the traders, I gave up just letting them wander wherever they wanted and built a walled off path to the edge of map, so I can actually -see- where they all are instead of wondering where they are ( And to protect them from the buggers that kills )

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »

Fishing is not limited to outside, i've had fishermen by a cave river

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:47 pm »

It might interest you to know that I've personally found at least ONE combination of biome (temperate marsh) and surroundings (serene) that supports no animals whatsoever. So it may be that sort of issue.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 11:03:56 pm »

and that's something I'd like to automate, clothing construction.  it's a real pain producing enough clothing for an entire fort of dwarves whos clothing is rottin off thier short hairy little bodies.  But the idea of a nudist Dwarf fort is even more traumatizing

Except that I don't think dwarves will wear clothes that you make. I made a shitload and now everyone's runnin around in their tattered rags instead of picking up the nice new stuff.

Also I'm real interested in the extinction thing. Does it really happen, how does it work? Presumably this is going to be fixed in a later version.

Also, do monsters in chasms/pits/magma/underground water respawn? I am playing on my first chasm map right now and I killed everything in it and nothing seems to be coming back. But at one point a Giant Cave Swallow flew in from nowhere and tore a couple of my builders to shreds.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:07:58 pm »

As far as I know, chasm, underground water and magma monsters don't respawn, if they does, it's very slowly since I played one fortress that ran for more than a decade on a spot with chasm, underground river and magma pipe, and after everything in there died, nothing more showed up

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 11:34:07 pm »

thanks for the replies.

In regards to the animals, I certainly used to have animals come through my map, had a small leather industry set up. Nothing at all for a few decades it seems though.

As for fish appearing, they have spawned inside different 'levels' of my water tower, but not the highest few levels for some reason. Shouldn't be any difference, maybe it's just an odd coincidence. I've also never seen them in my subterranean indoor lake I made, even though there is plenty of water to hold them.
Pages: [1] 2