Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666364 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14490 on: December 23, 2017, 02:48:35 pm »

What's the best story way to look at this game? All the gamey elements kinda get in the way of my narrative at the moment.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: December 23, 2017, 03:27:12 pm »

What's the best story way to look at this game? All the gamey elements kinda get in the way of my narrative at the moment.

tbh, this game has less of a story then nethack does, which is saying something. You could maybe make something about getting the orb from the draconians so your own race/culture can gain ascendancy, but that's kind of stretching things.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: December 23, 2017, 04:12:14 pm »

I try to focus on what kind of person my character is and what motivates their actions.  What they were like before/after the adventure, whether they really believe in their god, that kind of thing.

I also enjoy imagining what the fights look like.  There are some pretty cool/bizarre monsters and abilities in DCSS.  Also I interpret the game kind of like D&D, where health isn't literally your ability to tank hits, rather that your character has enough skill/plot armor that everything ends up either being a near-miss or a flesh wound.  So I imagine that when your character is wading through a dozen orcs, they must be doing some really badass swashbuckling.  In my head my troll character lives in a kung fu movie.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: December 23, 2017, 06:06:50 pm »

I'd say this game does not have much story elements by itself, but those present can be easily incorporated into a greater narrative. I'm currently writing a four-part tale about conquest of the Dungeon, Orb recovery and eventual destruction and rebuilding of the world, through the eyes of three consequentive adventurers.

First, Mummy of Gozag, King of Golden Sands, got so overpowered by the end (clearing Zig, for example), that I imagine him striking a pact with Gozag to control golden sand left from enemies as a flesh-rending weapon. I also pictured him not killing everything that moves, but conquering and building himself a Kingdom centered at Tombs of the Ancients, subduing nearby races with iron rule.

With second, Beogh Messiah, I got to show my love for orcish murderous simpletons (though their eventual fate is heroic death, as usual). A twist is that while Messiah succeeds, Beogh - not so much, becoming an ever-dying cripple of a god, unable to use the Orb properly. Eventually this leads orcs who conquered overland into Last Crusade to the depths.

Third, Apostate, centuries later explores the Dungeon - a mere shadow of its former glory - just as the Last Crusade launches. He tries to gain means to either help or end All-Father (Beogh), allying with still-living yet dormant King and demons on the way.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14494 on: December 23, 2017, 07:45:04 pm »

Turns out freezing brand hits hard vs triple fire-attuned nagas. I made the mistake of conjuring flame and running instead of running. Haste potion and a lucky teleport later, those blademasters are REKT!

I'd say this game does not have much story elements by itself, but those present can be easily incorporated into a greater narrative. I'm currently writing a four-part tale about conquest of the Dungeon, Orb recovery and eventual destruction and rebuilding of the world, through the eyes of three consequentive adventurers.
Nice.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:47:32 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: December 24, 2017, 01:28:45 pm »

lol what

this is like asking what the best strategy is for reading a comic book

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: December 24, 2017, 03:04:01 pm »

lol what

this is like asking what the best strategy is for reading a comic book

Ever actually try going through a series (or major arc) backwards, issue by issue, Memento style? Some of them are actually much more interesting that way.

There's also Garfield Minus Garfield, which literally hasn't been updated in over a decade, which is a collection of Garfield comics... without Garfield. And, frankly, an improvement.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14497 on: December 24, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »

I read them like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just entered vaults and it's a cakewalk :P
I should have left Elf:3 for later. But now I have MPregen so it's worth  8)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:10:40 pm by FakerFangirl »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: December 24, 2017, 06:34:10 pm »

I think of the story as one where champions of all races and professions are sent into the dungeon to prove themselves or their people as worthy in the eyes of their masters/kings/gods.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: December 24, 2017, 06:47:52 pm »

I think of the story as one where champions of all races and professions are sent into the dungeon to prove themselves or their people as worthy in the eyes of their masters/kings/gods.
And only their ghosts remain to roam Dungeon for eternity (or unless killed).
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: December 26, 2017, 04:28:46 am »

Playing an octopode of oki & "oki grants you a gift. You hear a splash". Well screw you too Oki.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14501 on: December 26, 2017, 01:45:54 pm »

That's basically why I play naga.

Playing an octopode of oki & "oki grants you a gift. You hear a splash". Well screw you too Oki.
Xom is highly amused!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14502 on: December 31, 2017, 03:00:37 am »

Got a kobold I'm unsure where to go with. Started it as a transmuter with the intention of being a transmuter but it's starting to look like I'd just be better off going with some kinda sneaky melee/hexer. Any advice appreciated.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: January 03, 2018, 05:02:51 am »

Wow you really went heavy into short blades (my least favorite weapon), I'd grab a crossbow and start skilling it up to supplement your hexes. (hex fails, shoot it)

also

Dungeon crawl tourney in two days guys!!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168786.0

Got a kobold I'm unsure where to go with. Started it as a transmuter with the intention of being a transmuter but it's starting to look like I'd just be better off going with some kinda sneaky melee/hexer. Any advice appreciated.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14504 on: January 03, 2018, 06:54:39 am »

Dithmenos & a randart short sword eh? I'd level-up evasion. If you're not training shield for dealing with centaurs & yaktaurs then look for confusing touch. If I were you I'd try to learn confuse... Not sure how shadow step works but if you don't have a wand of paralyze then maybe use a buckler until you find confusing touch. I've only used short swords on skalds, but if you use sticks to snakes correctly then you should be able to stab stuff. Maybe pick-up a blowgun for insects, spiders & yaks. So yes, go hexes. Confusion is too good, and will unlock confusing touch... Then train fighting and finally stealth. You've trained evocations, so I'd save any paralyze wands for shadow-stepping to archers & escape routes, but I've never worshipped Dithmenos
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 990