Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666811 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14250 on: May 09, 2017, 09:11:19 pm »

Don't be afraid to use Nemelex' abilities on those decks. Stacking five is great for escape decks and destruction decks. Draw our is bad for destruction decks, because you can polymorph all the enemies around you and that can make for a Bad Time.

Question :

I chose Nemelex as god

I think I've identified your first mistake ;)
Usually, explaining why a given choice is a mistake, or giving advice on how to make the best of that error, is more appreciated. I've seen a lot of "well, your probem is you are playing as an x" on DCSS threads. It's uninformative, unhelpful, and stale humor.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14251 on: May 09, 2017, 11:08:09 pm »

Question :

I chose Nemelex as god

I think I've identified your first mistake ;)
Usually, explaining why a given choice is a mistake, or giving advice on how to make the best of that error, is more appreciated. I've seen a lot of "well, your probem is you are playing as an x" on DCSS threads. It's uninformative, unhelpful, and stale humor.

Eh, I think its fair enough here. Choosing Nemelex is basically asking for inventory management trouble[Unless you're a felid]. Really, just don't treat trash decks like valuable commodities and go absolutely ham with the good decks when trouble rears its distressingly furry head and Nemelex is a pretty solid god.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14252 on: May 10, 2017, 01:43:02 am »

On a note of tougher/more complex gods to use, has anybody ever managed to do something useful with Fedhas?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14253 on: May 10, 2017, 04:59:13 am »

Eh, I think its fair enough here. Choosing Nemelex is basically asking for inventory management trouble[Unless you're a felid]. Really, just don't treat trash decks like valuable commodities and go absolutely ham with the good decks when trouble rears its distressingly furry head and Nemelex is a pretty solid god.
All fair points. But a new player is gonna experiment. Heck, its one of the main advices given to new players - try things and see what they are like. Well, that and "expect to die."

Having perhaps made more informative posts in this thread/its tourney counterparts than you've had hot dinners, I'd venture to say I'm entitled to post frivolously every now and then, friend. I do regret that bad experiences in other DCSS threads have apparently soured your disposition toward my humour, though.
::)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14254 on: May 10, 2017, 05:09:21 pm »

On a note of tougher/more complex gods to use, has anybody ever managed to do something useful with Fedhas?

Wandering mushrooms are very robust, especially since they're so easy to get, but are incredibly annoying to use because of their "Freeze whenever an enemy comes in sight" schtick. Oklobs are in a similar boat, except they deal more damage and are COMPLETELY immobile.
Spooky Signature

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #14255 on: May 10, 2017, 11:10:23 pm »

I've heard Fedhas is a fantastic god to go early game with for a character on the plan of swapping to Jiyva later. Fedhas is at her strongest without a ton of piety, so you get her online early then when you get to Jiyva altar you ditch her and the pennence isnt that awful.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14256 on: May 11, 2017, 07:43:11 am »

Fedhas used to be my go-to god for fast moving assassins. I liked making a kill zone that I'd lure the slower/difficult monsters to and have oklob plants tear them to shreds. Otherwise, I'd just curare or backstab them. Using the rain and sunlight abilities saved my bacon more than once, too.

Keep in mind that I've never got past 2 runes with such a build, so you probably shouldn't use this as a winning strategy.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14257 on: May 11, 2017, 03:54:57 pm »

Fedhas used to be my go-to god for fast moving assassins. I liked making a kill zone that I'd lure the slower/difficult monsters to and have oklob plants tear them to shreds. Otherwise, I'd just curare or backstab them. Using the rain and sunlight abilities saved my bacon more than once, too.

Keep in mind that I've never got past 2 runes with such a build, so you probably shouldn't use this as a winning strategy.

I could picture that working quite well for centaurs too, with their potent ranged and increased movement speed making it easy to pull things from a distance into your killbox. I don't think it'd work well in extended though, since a five of maps the maps are more of the transient sort.

My main problem is how limited the Fedhas "ammo" is, with how many things consume fruit though...
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14258 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:36 am »

In my current game, I found the fixedart gold dragon armor fairly early (vaults).

Unfortunately it costs 12400 gold.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14259 on: May 13, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »

Pssssshhhhhh. You should have that stockpiled before you finish lair. unless you are blowing it all on potions of ambrosia and sirens.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14260 on: May 14, 2017, 05:46:10 pm »

Once they get far enough to be worth caring about, I play Usk quite differently from Oka.

As far as I'm concerned, Oka's main feature is to get a steady stream of equipment until you're geared to the teeth, plus a few power buttons that are discouraged since they eat into your steam of new toys.

Usk is all about wading into the fray, ideally also playing the swap game with an amulet of faith.

To that, I consider Oka a decent or better pick for anything other than straight casters. Usk, on the other hand, I only take for almost pure melee. (And I'm convinced stabbers can use him too, but I can't figure out their playstyle at all, in the best of cases.)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14261 on: May 14, 2017, 07:36:56 pm »

Once they get far enough to be worth caring about, I play Usk quite differently from Oka.

As far as I'm concerned, Oka's main feature is to get a steady stream of equipment until you're geared to the teeth, plus a few power buttons that are discouraged since they eat into your steam of new toys.

Usk is all about wading into the fray, ideally also playing the swap game with an amulet of faith.

To that, I consider Oka a decent or better pick for anything other than straight casters. Usk, on the other hand, I only take for almost pure melee. (And I'm convinced stabbers can use him too, but I can't figure out their playstyle at all, in the best of cases.)

This has basically been my mindset for Uska and Oka. Oka is for getting excellent gear (+20 crystal plate armor anyone?) and using fewer potions of might while Uska is for tabbing even more than usual (see: putting Zot to sleep), along with two really impressive panic buttons.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14262 on: May 14, 2017, 08:39:50 pm »

Its also worth noting that conjurers can get some nice benefits from Uskayaw. AOEs like Fireball or, eventually, Fire Storm are good at generating piety and should work quite nicely with the pain bond. Plus there's Grand Finale for killing the super durable Pan/Hell lords[In case you don't have a good supply of throwing nets/paralysis needles].
Spooky Signature

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14263 on: May 15, 2017, 08:30:00 pm »

An artifact I found: +4 ring mail of This Worked Last Time (rN++).

Meh artifact, but probably the best name I've seen so far. And yes, it's inferior to the armor I have right now.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14264 on: May 16, 2017, 12:05:59 pm »

So that leaves me with just Gnolls and the Wu Jian Council left to do, in terms of having to win with every species/background/god. I'm holding off for now because I think there's a fair chance both will be removed from the game. Gnolls, while an interesting idea, just plainly aren't working as a race. As for the Wu Jian Council, that could go either way, but they certainly seem fiddly and likely to cause problems in their interactions down the line. Plus they've already been temporarily removed and then put back in once. So we'll see, I guess.

Well, you called it. New blog post:

https://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/upcoming-0-20-release-and-tournament

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, tournament date announced.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 990