Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1668350 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12315 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:34 am »

Is there any reason to train stealth on a summoner?

My first thought was it'd be nice to be able to remain unnoticed while your summons get all the attention, but I suspect it won't work like that and enemies will notice you at the same time they notice your summons.

As long as you play straight-up summoner, I don't think so... You should be able to achieve that effect with invisibility though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: June 24, 2014, 04:55:51 pm »

Stealth increases the chance of out-of-LOS stuff forgetting you.  That's pretty useful unless you're constantly casting loud spells, so maybe get a few levels.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: June 24, 2014, 05:10:22 pm »

I've always found a bit of stealth (so you get up to 'quite stealthy' or 'stealthy' rank) is good to aim for in anything other than a heavy armor character.

It just means things won't always see you the second you step into their LOS and, as leafsnail says, lets stuff forget about you a bit more easily once you are out of it.

Summoners are admittedly one of the roles where it matters the least, but it's still pretty useful.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: June 27, 2014, 11:32:29 am »

Another quick question:

What impacts the failure chance of breath weapons? I think I've noticed it going down over time, but I have no idea what it's tied to.

Thought it'd be a good time to ask, since my current Draconian can spit poison, and breathe both fire and steam.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: June 27, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »

Another quick question:

What impacts the failure chance of breath weapons? I think I've noticed it going down over time, but I have no idea what it's tied to.

Thought it'd be a good time to ask, since my current Draconian can spit poison, and breathe both fire and steam.
Quote from: Wiki entry on spit poison
% Success Rate (Naga): 80 + Experience Level
% Success Rate (Other): 60 + Experience Level + (Spit Poison mutation rank × 5)
Spell Power (Naga): Experience Level + 10
Spell Power (Other): Experience Level + (Spit Poison mutation rank × 5)
Damage: 1d(4+Spell Power/2)
As you can see, the success rate goes up as you gain experience. I presume that it works the same (or nearly the same) for other breath weapons. It could be slightly different, but I don't see anything else that would affect it *besides* your experience level (and the mutation rank if applicable).
I imagine that your innate draconian effect is more successful in general then ones you gain through mutation, so you should probably stick to using that one unless there is another that is more useful against that specific enemy.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: July 17, 2014, 03:43:59 pm »

Also shields can block elemental bolts, LCSs, Iron Shots and OODs and I find that makes them effective against a great majority of the mid and end-game threats. It's when you hit torment and Hellfire that they start tearfully waving goodbye, but I've generally felt safer on Shields dudes even then. Fiends may torment you 3 times in a row, but they're just as likely to Bolt of Ice you three times in a row, and those can hurt like hell too.

Shields can not block elemental bolts.  If they could, maybe more people would consider using them, as elemental bolts are a pretty common source of high damage throughout the game.
Quote from: goblolo
Can anyone point me a formula of how armor penalty is calculated? I'm going to use Ring Mail (because if resistances) as a DECj. I have Str 5 and get my Armor to 5 to lesse the penalty. It is easily manageable since my hardest spell is battlesphere, but I want to have nice EV later on and excellent spell success of my Firestorm or LCS.
I understand that i may find a good robe to replace my ring mail and all the work wil be just a wasted xp and stats. But if that ring mail can be managed with little effort (such as 6-7 str and 10 Armor), I will be glad to get it soon. This will widen my choise from robe-leather to robe-leather-ringmail.

Str 5 is a bit low, even for ring mail, but the penalties aren't going to be too severe either way.  Basically, if you can still cast your spells in it, don't worry about it. 
Training armor skill is a good way to raise the AC you get from armor.  It's not an efficient way to increase your EV or spell success chances, instead you should just train the relevant skills.  However, even a character in light armor benefits from armor skill, so it's not a waste, although probably not the most efficient use of your XP.

Quote from: goblolo
Also, is 5 in shield are enought to nullify the buckler spellcasting penalty?
I would be glad if someone can share links to trunk source code where I can look at all the calculation.

I'm pretty sure 1 skill in shield is enough to nullify the buckler spellcasting penalty, while 5 skill will nullify the melee penalty.  A buckler is a really good defensive addition to a spellcasting character, since it takes very little investment.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: July 18, 2014, 06:56:46 am »

I usually use the ice school shield spell, and it overwrites bucklers I think.

I haven't done any crawling in a few versions though so it might have changed.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: July 18, 2014, 08:08:49 am »

Has something happened to the knowledge bot?

I didn't have it bookmarked because I could easily find it by googling for it, except suddenly now I can't. Did it move or something?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: July 18, 2014, 07:35:47 pm »

According to my bookmark, it's gone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: July 18, 2014, 08:33:03 pm »

The former Henzell learndb at crawl.akrasiac.org now redirects to here.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:29 pm »

Does anyone have any tips for conquering the Depths? In 0.13 I was able to get down to Zot (If not actually to the Orb) fairly reliably, but now it just seems like I end up dying a level or two into the Depths. I usually play pure melee characters, maybe branching out a little into ranged weapons, and I generally start by worshiping Zin and switch over to TSO, though I'm pretty much always following TSO at that point.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: July 23, 2014, 08:09:52 pm »

Three runes. I always went for TSO for the angels, cleansing flames, and the holy scourge. I'll give Okawaru a try, though, since my most recent character just got completely curb-stomped by Mara about half way through Snake Pit.
On a related note, can anyone give advice on killing Mara? Because the wiki page isn't overly helpful, I've found.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: July 24, 2014, 01:55:07 am »

Why would you want to kill him ?
Second best advice I ever read about Crawl : You don't need to kill everything.
(first best advice was : don't walk toward enemies).

Mara will be in a dungeon level. There are 3 stairs up and down to nearly every level (exceptions being the first and last floors of each branch). You can simply avoid him, as he can kill most of the characters when they meet him the first time.

Oh, and about depths : I usually don't go into D:14 (where the depths entry vault is) because of the monsters that have a chance to spawn here before I have cleaned at least the 4 first levels of a rune-branch. Depths are dangerous, approximately on the same danger level as the Vault, and it's no wonder you need a rune to enter this branch.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: July 24, 2014, 05:38:30 am »

More often than not I seem to come across him with other powerful enemies on my heels, and it seems like scrolls of teleportation have a death vendetta against me, and tend to place me in just as bad. if not worse, of a situation. While I do try to avoid Mara, in the event that I do have to fight, any advice for not getting horribly, horribly murdered?

Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 990