Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1668255 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12225 on: June 14, 2014, 09:57:43 am »

He has a couple useful traits regardless if you're being stabby or not, but you might want to drop him for Makhleb/Okawaru sometime. Not now, though.

Dith's penance isn't the worst thing ever, once you can comfortably take on a shadow fiend you should have no problem waiting it out unless you get unlucky enough to be put to sleep right after a spawn. That'd suck.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:59:40 am by Rex_Nex »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: June 14, 2014, 10:05:15 am »

Also, Dith doesn't care whether you're stabby or not, as long as you stay away from fire.
His stealth boost will not help you much with the armor on, but his passives help you evade melee attacks (which is always nice), a boost your damage (which will help you nearly as much as if you were stabby). The Shadow Form may be even better as a "fighter" than an assassin, since it lets your resist even more (as your armor wtill counts) when you need it.
You don't need to change god.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: June 14, 2014, 10:33:37 am »

yeah it'll be harder with Dith/you'll have to be more creative, but his abilities (especially shadow form with it's guaranteed damage reduction) are really good so I wouldn't worry. You don't need Oku's gifts with such good armor.

That daggers good, and will last you a while (the +blink is invaluable) but I'd definitely think of changing over to LB as soon as you can. Are there any other good artifact weapons of other types?

Basically, that +22 CPA will make up for anything you've lost.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: June 14, 2014, 03:48:19 pm »

Well, I switched over to the CPA and have been doing pretty well. I'm still using the dagger, though, because the only noteworthy long blade I've found since before is a +4 +1 long sword of electrocution. I'd like to switch soon, though, since it turns out distortion is kind of annoying when you're whacking things repeatedly to make them die instead of stabbing and running away.

I've got two runes now, which has...only happened once before. So I've hit a point in the game where I have no idea where to go next!

Spoiler: Chardump (click to show/hide)

Any advice would be appreciated.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: June 14, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »

You longsword of elec is nice enough to wield now :
elec is one of the most damaging brand, and you've got enough skill to get min-delay. Moreover, it will let you keep your shield, for now.
(if you've stashed a few enchant Weapon 2 scrolls, you could use 2 or 3 on that one)

Given what you explored in the dungeon, your next choice is what will be your next rune ?
If you get abyssed by unwielding your dagger, you'll have to look for an exit from the abyss. If you don't suffer too much there, trying to get the abyssal rune may be an option.
The (maybe more classic) is silver rune, from the Vault. you clearly have huge AC, but you'll need some other side resists to go there. rN will help you agaisnt shadow dragons (because getting your skills drained while the stairs are locked is a bad thing), and you already have an amulet of clarity, in case of mean guys.

(use your amulets, if you get into the Abyss. Clarity and resist mutation can be very important there)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: June 14, 2014, 05:41:25 pm »

Seriously. My last splat got abyss'd while in the Vaults and I didnt have rmut with me. RNG was not kind with spawning the exit, so by the time I clawed my way out I was some sort of freakshow. Playing mutation roulette a few hours beforehand was not a great idea.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: June 14, 2014, 06:08:55 pm »

Seriously. My last splat got abyss'd while in the Vaults and I didnt have rmut with me. RNG was not kind with spawning the exit, so by the time I clawed my way out I was some sort of freakshow. Playing mutation roulette a few hours beforehand was not a great idea.
Zin might have been an option depending on who you worshipped.
Also Jivya since you had a lot of usless stuff lying around by then and he lets you remove bad mutations.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:22:23 am by Mindmaker »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: June 15, 2014, 06:44:14 am »

To this day I am convinced that people who talk of exits from the Abyss are just trolling, because I've never seen one.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: June 15, 2014, 06:53:22 am »

Abyss has become a lot harder recently, I think due to it being pretty much free xp and items and it still is with rmut, sustain abilities and being of a high enough level (especially now that item weights have gone and that it's possible to find corpses) it's a bit harder to scum generally.

@DeKaFu: I'd swap now if you've got a few weapon enchant 2s. If you've got resist corrosion/mutation on anything you could take on slime. It's a lot easier now that there's no permanent corrosion and can be taken more slowly.
Bottom of vaults is a good idea, but I'd find a better sword before doing that as you just won't deal the damage needed.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:35 am »

By the way, you should use the find command to try and test a few swords from the Depths. As there are fire/ice giants there, and demon knights, those often have nice great swords.
You have a pretty low skill for them (you have min-delay for a Longsword, but clearly not for a Great sword).

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: June 15, 2014, 07:56:59 am »

The Abyss is difficult - running from things can get annoyingly hard when impasses and opponents randomly appear in front of you. Not only that, but plenty of opponents are either fast, ranged, or can immobilize you. Fighting things can be annoying too - even if you have great defenses, hellfire (and similar abilities) will wear you down regardless. I wouldn't mind the difficulty if it wasn't so goddamn long, and I wouldn't mind it being so goddamn long if it wasn't for the difficulty. The whole "You can leave when RNJesus allows you to leave" mechanic is really frustrating, as there are very few midlevel characters who can survive a prolonged abyss trip.

What would be interesting is if Lugonu would protect you from your god's wrath if you switch to him while at a low level. Right now its sort of "die in the abyss or the moment trog summons something".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:00:45 am by Rex_Nex »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: June 15, 2014, 08:22:40 am »

I wouldn't mind the Abyss if I could simply avoid it. But as it is it's the most tedious branch and the only unelective one, so I'd say it's the single worst feature of DCSS.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: June 15, 2014, 08:40:28 am »

For lower/mid level characters the abyss is pretty much the only real threat left in DCSS which can't be avoided through careful planning. While I prefer games of strategy over luck, I do think having some random bad stuff helps to keep things interesting.

I've never found it too bad to be honest though (other than if I'm not equipped for it) - most things can be outrun at a normal pace (especially as the abyss closes up after you) and you can teleport awway from anything dangerous looking (although it takes a few turns longer than usual). Going down abyss levels increases the chance of an exit (but also of worse monsters to fight) so if you're strong enough you can just delve down the relatively common abyss portals as by abyss 5 exits aren't too hard to come by.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: June 15, 2014, 08:52:38 am »

I love the Abyss.
And I never follow Lugonu.
Abyssal rune is one of my first 3 runes most of the time.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: June 15, 2014, 09:27:40 am »

Recent games:

Code: [Select]
8126 | D:8      | Cast into the Abyss (a distortion unwield)
8143 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a rakshasa
8170 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a worldbinder
8180 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a large abomination
8182 | D:8      | Escaped the Abyss
Code: [Select]
6868 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 44/57 MP: 15/19
7009 | D:5      | Acquired Cheibriados' second power
8156 | D:5      | Cast into the Abyss (a distortion unwield)
8249 | D:5      | Escaped the Abyss

I haven't died in the abyss, since 0.6? That death was due to abyss scumming. The new abyss feels easier, but I haven't gone beyond abyss:3.
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 990