Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667825 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12105 on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:46 pm »

not sure what happened. I got a god gift. it was a battle of distortion. it asked if i wanted to take it off which si wierd and cast me into the abyss. Huh? i have taken off distortion items before. why did this happen?
That's how weapons of distortion work. Each time you unwield them you get some random bad stuff hapen.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: June 09, 2014, 12:11:03 pm »

Distortion weapons wreak havoc with the fabric of space and time, so when you hit enemies with them you can blink them, teleport them, do a ton of extra damage, or cast them into the Abyss. Unfortunately, unwielding a distortion weapon does one of those things to you, and being cast into the infinite horrors of the Abyss is something like a 1/4 chance.

If you're still alive, just keep running and looking for an exit. Keep Trog's Hand up all the time since you don't have time to heal up, and summon Brothers in Arms anytime you see anything remotely dangerous. Avoid fights whenever you can, since time spent fighting is more time for something awful to spawn in and kill you, and it's not time spent finding an escape from the Abyss.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: June 09, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »

died. that distortion thing is really annoying. i dont have enough scrolls of identify to try on all my god gifts...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: June 09, 2014, 01:02:10 pm »

Did they reduce identify scrolls or something?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: June 09, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »

Save the IDs for Executioner's Axes and artifacts; once you have one or the other of those, basic battleaxes and the like won't be able to compete.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: June 09, 2014, 01:20:04 pm »

i get alot of god gifts. if i just sit on my ID scrolls, I wont be able to try them on. same with learning potions.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: June 09, 2014, 01:35:29 pm »

You don't need to ID everything by any means and I can't say I've ever ran out of ID scrolls unless I've just decided to burn through them IDing wands for charge count.
Once I've worked out what my remove curse scrolls are any jewelry/armor is going to be safe, and other than getting really unfortunately with a potion of mutation no potions are really that harmful (although by all means ID a few, especially ones you only have one of as they're rarer/more extreme in effects). Distortion is very rare (especially on artifact weapons) and it's even rarer that you get abyssed from un-wielding them so I wouldn't worry about it too much - it was just very bad luck.

Similarly, don't bother IDing (or using) any god gifts you don't want/need unless they're artifacts, you get loads of rubbish which you don't need.

Also definitely learn throwing. A few steel/poison javelins or silver tomahawks can be deadly at a moderate skill level, and you definitely need something to take care of ranged stuff. This also allows you to use blowguns efficiently which can poison/curare (slow and poison) monsters. This is useful throughout, as otherwise you're just standing and waiting for stuff to come to you when you could be whittling down it's health.

Lastly, trog can explode all spell books in your line of sight, which is pretty useful for creating traps. I've occasionally used it to drag stuff down a corridor and explode it under them. It also gives you piety I believe.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12112 on: June 09, 2014, 01:42:41 pm »

WAnt to get axe to 27 to get delay down so doing 100%. will switch to crossbow if I can actually get a nice supply of bolts.

Don't bother maxing out axes (leave it at 26). The amount of exp it takes to get the final level (from 26 to 27) could raise other skills by several levels. Also fighting increases your HP, so don't neglect it. You can get away with leaving 3-4 skills on.

I recommend copy-pasting these options into your init.txt (in your settings folder):

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rcfiles/crawl-git/DrFeelgood.rc

Highlights:

- Automates butchering, eating, and sacrificing.
- Automatically inscribes dangerous stuff to prevent accidental use.
- Improves autoexplore and autopickup. Faster resting and traveling.

i get alot of god gifts. if i just sit on my ID scrolls, I wont be able to try them on. same with learning potions.

Most god gifts are useless. And weapons auto-ID on wield, so you're wasting those scrolls.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12113 on: June 09, 2014, 02:23:07 pm »

I recommend copy-pasting these options into your init.txt (in your settings folder):

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rcfiles/crawl-git/DrFeelgood.rc

Highlights:

- Automates butchering, eating, and sacrificing.
- Automatically inscribes dangerous stuff to prevent accidental use.
- Improves autoexplore and autopickup. Faster resting and traveling..

This is settings file is really great, however I would say that for beginners some of the changes might be a bit confusing. At the very least I'd change the top three lines:
travel_delay = -1
explore_delay = -1
rest_delay = -1

to:
travel_delay = 1
explore_delay = 1
rest_delay = 1

Otherwise it can be a bit confusing of how you've randomly ended up somewhere.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: June 09, 2014, 03:11:18 pm »

so i shouldnt try any axes at all until i get executioner drops? If i try something without ID I can get a distortion and then take off and game over.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »

I would say that, when you're at 20 in axe skill and are wielding an Exec axe, you should not try any axe other than Exec. Because the damage difference is generally too high to be compensated by another axe, even with big enchantment.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: June 09, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »

You should always go for weapon variations that are going to be an upgrade and even the same ones if your weapon sucks.
Distortion is one of the rarest brands and even if you get it, then most of the time it's going to damage, teleport or blink you around on unwielding.

Don't get traumatized by that one unlucky occurance.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: June 09, 2014, 04:45:53 pm »

This is settings file is really great, however I would say that for beginners some of the changes might be a bit confusing. At the very least I'd change the top three lines:
travel_delay = -1
explore_delay = -1
rest_delay = -1

to:
travel_delay = 1
explore_delay = 1
rest_delay = 1

Otherwise it can be a bit confusing of how you've randomly ended up somewhere.

Greedy explore stops often enough that it's hard to get lost. For less confusion:

Code: [Select]
travel_delay = -1
explore_delay = 10 (default is 20)
rest_delay = -1

Instant rest and travel, but autoexplore's movements are shown. Or you can turn on the trail (show_travel_trail=true) used by webtiles.

so i shouldnt try any axes at all until i get executioner drops? If i try something without ID I can get a distortion and then take off and game over.

Finding a distortion weapon: Like a 1% chance, unless you wield every junk weapon you find.
Being banished by it: 1-in-10 chance. 23% (10% is when it hits)  :-[
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:00:59 pm by Dr Feelgood »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: June 09, 2014, 04:54:07 pm »

There is a 23% chance of getting banished upon unweild, or very roughly 1/4.
Having a 1/4 chance of death upon unweild (which is what it amounts to on most early characters) is really bad, and I would probably keep the weapon equipped unless I was A) Not very attached to the charachter, or B) Almost certainly strong enough to survive the abyss.

That said, it is totally worth it to try on branded axes (with types equal to or better then your current one) because the odds of distortion is pretty tiny (and having to go through the whole game until you get a executioner with just a +1,+1 hand axe sounds very painful).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: June 09, 2014, 04:58:32 pm »

Like, adders, orcs. Anything really. I'm not using anything fancy. I tried a few demonspawn gladiators, and it happens right off the bat.
Sounds like a bug?  It will probably be fixed fairly quickly, if not then you should submit a report about it on Mantis.

It was on some casters and archers. 8 was the absolute minimum for inventory management and 14-15 for the full damage bonus and a decent amount of arrows on archers.

How exactly was it changed? The armour/strength thing.
I played a lot of Spriggans and I wouldn't say it was a major consideration even for them.  I mean yeah, you'd perhaps put a few points into strength because the game would be unplayably irritating otherwise, but it wasn't actually a factor that made strength an objectively better decision.  It's also true that there used to be a breakpoint with strength with archers but that's gone now.

It used to be that Str did almost nothing when it came to armour.  Under the new system the "adjusted evasion penalty" (which affects spell success, accuracy and evasion penalties) of an armour is divided by (str+3).  So at low strengths heavy armour is virtually useless because it will tank your EV to zero and make you unable to hit things, but at high strength it has fairly light drawbacks.  Armour skill actually does surprisingly little to mitigate poor str, although it does provide a worthwhile boost to AC.

It's not really "game over", distortion is a really powerful brand that has good synergy with axes so you can just not unwield them.  You could probably beat the game with the battleaxe of distortion, or at least get to a point where you can safely take on the abyss.
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 990