Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667721 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12000 on: May 26, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »

Dwarven and elven armour was slightly neat because it added flavour, but DCSS doesn't seem to be a flavour-y game.

Honestly, I think DCSS is turning into more of a roguelike-lite. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's not what everyone wants.

Edit: Actually, no. It's not turning into a roguelike-lite. It's getting slightly less heavy, to the point where most major roguelikes are heavier. I doubt that it'll ever become a true roguelike-lite.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:20:09 pm by Elephant Parade »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: May 27, 2014, 04:56:12 am »

disagreeing with devs choices does not mean "devs hate"

Yeah, I mean really, I even called them talented in the same post I disagreed with them.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: May 27, 2014, 10:21:18 am »

Stat draining and mutations are still in the game.  So is item destruction, for now.

Basically the problem with hitting the player's inventory rather than the player is that it's always going to encourage some kind of dropping or swapping of items to avoid losing the stuff you care about.  This is annoying in that it forces you to do something but it's not actually challenging (it's just a test of whether you have the patience to go upstairs and swap into a fresh set of armour every time you meet a jelly).

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: May 27, 2014, 06:21:42 pm »

My understanding is that one of the basic principles the devs had in mind when they first started was to remove a lot of the skill-less grinding/repetition of unimportant tasks or barrier of knowledge that are present in a lot of roguelikes. Things like victory dancing didn't actually require any complex decision making, it just required you to know to do it. Item destruction is more of the same. Oh, is that an enemy that can destroy items? Time to drop everything and pick it up when its dead.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: May 27, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »

Code: [Select]
1178769 monk12 the Bringer of Light (level 27, -26/176 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on May 23, 2014.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Killed from afar by a Hell Sentinel (44 damage)
             ... with a blast of hellfire
             ... on Level 7 of the Iron City of Dis on May 28, 2014.
             The game lasted 10:14:47 (106222 turns).

A new personal best of 12 runes is little comfort when that guy was poised to be my first 15 runer...

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: May 28, 2014, 03:25:12 am »

Well, Hellfire is the one main danger for Gargoyles, (only thing not resisted by nature, and with the -20% HP...), so you've got that for you ...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:51 am »

Item destruction is also now removed from trunk.  I like these changes, I think it may be the single biggest playability upgrade since victory dancingg was removed.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: May 29, 2014, 03:52:29 am »

If there's something removed i will not regret, item destruction is right there.
I never liked to have to drop all my scrolls as soon as anything with fire spell/breath/whatever was popping up, or all my potions as soon as cold spell/breath/whatever was appearing.
And how about those nice food stock you were carrying to your hideout and .... oh harpies are spawning on the way back ?

And considering the "amulet of conservation" still had chances of completely failing, it just was near useless then , and so you still had to drop items constantly in order to avoid losing your precious and really needed items.

Though the alternative of removing entirely item destruction would have been to make the amulet of conservation 100% efficient, so at least it would have had an actual use instead of the lottery it was, as amulet swapping has always been a part of crawl anyways
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:02:10 am by Robsoie »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: May 29, 2014, 05:05:12 am »

I think harpy food eating was removed a while ago because it was particularly silly (food has virtually zero tactical worth so it didn't even ask you to go without something for that fight).

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: May 29, 2014, 05:19:34 am »

I think harpy food eating was removed a while ago because it was particularly silly (food has virtually zero tactical worth so it didn't even ask you to go without something for that fight).
In a Sprint map I once ran into a pack of Harpies just before a room with three hungry ghosts. Food is freaking important.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:01 am »

It's important if a sprint is specifically designed to make it important I guess.  An attack from multiple hungry ghosts that you can't evade in any way is something that doesn't come up in real games.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: May 29, 2014, 06:11:38 am »

All of these changes seem good because they've been gradually forced out into specific cases and annoyances. Food used to be a hell of a lot more important and strategical, but now it's been gradually edged off so it feels as though it's completely unimportant now. Same with item destruction - it used to be a key part of the game that you had to plan around, now it's just the odd thing with sticky flame that destroys everything in your inventory.

There could be all sorts of better ways to accomplish it, without just ditching the mechanic. Resistances could help shield items, items could only be damaged for a while (this was an idea and was nearly implemented I do believe) so you couldn't use them whilst you were on fire/for a while after and all sorts of more creative ideas.

Just removing stuff makes it simpler and simpler, with nothing exciting to take it's place.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: May 29, 2014, 06:18:15 am »

All of these changes seem good because they've been gradually forced out into specific cases and annoyances. Food used to be a hell of a lot more important and strategical, but now it's been gradually edged off so it feels as though it's completely unimportant now. Same with item destruction - it used to be a key part of the game that you had to plan around, now it's just the odd thing with sticky flame that destroys everything in your inventory.
True. But seriously, FUCK STICKY FLAME.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: May 29, 2014, 06:31:50 am »

Just removing stuff makes it simpler and simpler, with nothing exciting to take it's place.
Well, they spent less time designing/implementing/balancing new mecanics and can add more races/branches/gods/items...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:29 am »

Well, they spent less time designing/implementing/balancing new mecanics and can add more races/branches/gods/items...
Things being added in Crawl? Heresy! There's still so much that can be removed.
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 990