Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666319 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #5970 on: June 30, 2011, 06:11:25 pm »

Orcish loving is particularly violent.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: July 01, 2011, 04:13:54 am »

By the way, Mennas.  I understand the idea behind him, but to be honest I think just giving spellcasters an instant game over on a random level would save programming.

If you're a spellcaster and don't have a way to escape, then you're probably not a very good spellcaster. He runs fast, yes, but by the time you meet him you should have some form of teleportation, semi-controlled blink, or controlled blink.

I think the problem there is that Mennas casts silence.

EDIT: About God genders, yeah, they're basically genderless, but they do (at least in my mind!) have a "preferred gender" which they incarnate in if they have to. I've imagined Elyvilon, Fedhas, Jiyva, Sif Muna, Lugonu, Vehumet, Nemelex and Ashenzari to be female.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:16:10 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: July 01, 2011, 04:33:37 am »

I'm pretty sure Sif Muna and Ashenzari are officially female. Fedhas and Elyvilon could also be female, not sure about that.

Also, whenever I play a chaos knight, my character is a sarcastic unfunny type, while Xom is a hilariously incompetent imp.
 Xom:"Here, take this gift! *trollface*"
 Character:*Uses scroll of identification* *Cursed -4 -5 Hand axe* "Sigh..." *rolls eyes*
 Xom: * :| * 

Edit; Also @ Xom's gender. Xom is Lady Gaga.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:35:46 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: July 01, 2011, 04:59:41 am »

Thank you, now I'll see that trollface around all Crawl monsters and gods.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: July 01, 2011, 05:39:55 am »

would you say this game is worth an try?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: July 01, 2011, 05:44:41 am »

Definitely yes! This is quite probably the best Roguelike I've ever played. It's easier to learn that most Roguelikes, but has similar challenging parts later on. Very satisfying!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: July 01, 2011, 06:01:39 am »

Playing Zot defence, as a troll deathknight... SOOO MANY SLAVES!!! They have filled up the room around the orb. And I keep getting minions as gifts.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5977 on: July 01, 2011, 06:03:14 am »

Definitely yes! This is quite probably the best Roguelike I've ever played. It's easier to learn that most Roguelikes, but has similar challenging parts later on=down 3 levels. Very satisfying!
corrected. >.<  for the love of the dungeon, Grinder, stop mass enchanting pain! i don't want to have to roll a mummy or undead to kill you, then have to face the ghost of said mummy or undead!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: July 01, 2011, 06:17:03 am »

Definitely yes! This is quite probably the best Roguelike I've ever played. It's easier to learn that most Roguelikes, but has similar challenging parts later on=down 3 levels. Very satisfying!
corrected. >.<  for the love of the dungeon, Grinder, stop mass enchanting pain! i don't want to have to roll a mummy or undead to kill you, then have to face the ghost of said mummy or undead!
Agree with both of these fellas. The only easier roguelike to learn would have to be DoomRL, but that is entirely different from this. Get this, get the tiles version, and your golden. It is a great game.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: July 01, 2011, 06:31:01 am »

i stand convinced.
Quite fucked indeed.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: July 01, 2011, 06:37:16 am »

Ask here if you need help!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: July 01, 2011, 07:41:16 am »

suddenly the name of this thread makes more sense to me...
Quite fucked indeed.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: July 01, 2011, 07:44:58 am »

Yea... Hate it when he does that.
I think the worst time was when I polymorphed him into a newt, and he still killed me. It's just humiliating...

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: July 01, 2011, 08:08:12 am »

suddenly the name of this thread makes more sense to me...

Yeah, the game is called Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

Oh yeah, you mean Sigmund?

He's the real prick. If he appears early enough (D2 is the earliest) and you get caught with your pants down, he will take advantage of your unfortunate situation. On the other hand, it's quite easy to give him a lesson with an extremely powerful spell found on several starting spellbooks - mephitic cloud.

Curiously, while the typical character savaged by Sigmund is an unfortunate warrior or an unprepared wizard, yesterday Sigmund contributed to the untimely demise of my extremely powerful (by my standards) Vampire Wizard, whom I had buffed by having him take advantage of out-of-depth monster generation. My wizard was in an open room-style level, and there were lots or orcs. No biggie, mephitic cloud all the way. All orcs die. A jelly comes, and absorbs all the loot, producing about 10 other jellies. No biggie, just bat form and kill the jellies with fire. More orcs, and Sigmund. Holy... and an Ogre. They would be a breeze if they didn't come all at once!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: July 01, 2011, 08:18:50 am »

It's something hard to apply sometime because like in any rogue-like, you need the XP from killing monsters to level up and stand a chance against stronger monsters, but something to keep in mind is that it is a -very- good idea to run away from an unique/monster you are not equipped to fight and defeat.

By example, you've got a human fighter that just reached level 3 with normal weapons and armor, and now you have encountered Sigmund or Grinder.
You being at level 3 means that if you run at them to fight them in close combat, both the uniques wil crush you, either crush you from distance or crush you in contact.
Check your inventory, do you have a wand with offensive ability ?
If yes, use it repeatedly, because you have now a chance to kill Sigmund/Grinder and killing them will give you a very great edge in your leveling, then skill training
Don't have a wand with offensive ability ?
Just run to the most nearby stair and get out of that dungeon floor, then try another stair to get back if you want to continue to explore this specific floor, or just go deeper in the dungeon.

You can always come back once you find a good wand that can shoot from afar, or when you're more powerfull and able to take them out in close combat.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:20:29 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 990