Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666281 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #5925 on: June 29, 2011, 01:19:49 pm »

That's what happens when you hang around on D:1 for too long.

I didn't, it's turn 4213. I had barely explored D:2 and went back to pick up some runed darts.  :P

Anyways, do you guys dip all stairs before diving onto the next level?

I always at least count the stairs after I think I cleared a level, if I count three up and down, I move on.  Its not a bad idea to dip all the stairs, it makes autotravel faster.
Pretty sure the 'X' map shows all the stairs discovered at the top of the screen, unless somethings changed.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: June 29, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »

Seems a bit funny that a god'll get really pissed off at mere ineptness. Consider the wrath of Sif Muna if you don't study magic at all! Couldn't that all be used to bother some bersekers?

Er, gods don't punish for ineptitude, they punish for bad conduct.
Unfortunately Sif Muna will actually punish you for not studying enough, as you lose piety over time and can only get it by improving your magic skills. So forget about him and you will indeed get punished for your ineptness.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »

Interesting, although I doubt that's ever been a problem for much of anyone. If you want spells and MP badly enough to worship Sif Muna, then you're certainly going to be casting them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: June 29, 2011, 03:03:04 pm »

Oooh I hate Rupert.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: June 29, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »

I hate that new (since I last played) unique that I don't know the name.
It's green, and its name starts with E. And I think it is a summoner.

I swear, I think I hate all the uniques besides Terrance.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: June 29, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »

The only uniques I detest are those immune to Mephitic Cloud, and summoners.

I hate summoners. Eustachio and Grinder can burn in hell.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: June 29, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »

The summoners never really bother me terribly, as uniques go. The ones I hate are the ones that are faster than I am -- the same speed is fine, it's just faster that's the problem -- and those with abilities that pierce. Lightning bolts, smite, etc.

Any of them with ranged attacks can sometimes cause problems, especially those that are faster than my character. I well remember getting shot three times the same turn I came into FoV of that centaur unique, ferex. Lost that character, obviously.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: June 29, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »

Maurice is annoying as shit but not deadly unless you're stupid. Nikola is as deadly as 10 Sigmunds... plus 2. I've had rElec and taken 40 fucking damage in a single turn from Airstrike. That's 400(!) damage if I didn't resist his shit.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: June 29, 2011, 06:19:50 pm »

Flying causes you more damage if you get Airstrike'd, by the way. Nikola doesn't have that spell, though, so you probably just got chain lightning'd.

It's possible to confuse him via Alistair's Intoxication or (if you're lucky) Mephitic Cloud, though. Unfortunately, he has high MR and sees invisible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: June 29, 2011, 06:35:20 pm »

FUCKIN' CRAWL! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Lost my best character yet. Got to late lair, got a bit scared of all the elephants. Let's check the wiki for information on the branches I found. Apparently Shoals don't have hiding places and have enemies that have advantages in water. I'd rather not... Slime Pits are the uber-hard branch. Even I know that. Don't need wiki for that. Sooo...Swamp is the poison branch I keep hearing about? Heard that it's easy as hell if you have poison resistance. But I don't. Meh. Let's just do Orc. What the hell? The level is one small room? and this one too? And this one? And this one? Oh, finally, this level is actually normal-sized. Orc warrior *sticky flame* Meh, easy. Wizard and cleric *fireball OHKO* meh, easy. What is this? Uber-wizard? It shouldn't be too tou-OH GOD DEMONS EVERYWHERE! OUT OF TELEPORT! FUUUUUUUUUUUU-! QUICK, POTION OF SPEED! RUN, RUN, RU-
 FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!

Quoted for the sigtext thread.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: June 29, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »

Nikola is slow though.  So the best response is to just immediately run the hell away from him when you see him and don't even consider fighting him again until you're sure it'll be a walkover.

By the way, Mennas.  I understand the idea behind him, but to be honest I think just giving spellcasters an instant game over on a random level would save programming.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: June 29, 2011, 07:36:14 pm »

Interesting, although I doubt that's ever been a problem for much of anyone. If you want spells and MP badly enough to worship Sif Muna, then you're certainly going to be casting them.
Technically, if you've scummed long enough so all your casting skills were maxed out, say in the abyss, you would eventually piss off Siffy. Though, by that point, you could probably KILL Sif Muna in a fight. Might as well just swap out for Makhleb or Vehumet or heck, even Fedhas.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: June 29, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

The characters that i prefer avoid :
Boris (his annoying Iron Shot and Orb spam can easily kill)
Gastronok (airstrike your health quicker than you bring his own down)
Grinder (worse than Sigmund since 0.8 it can be met at the same kind of early level)
Khufu (damn thing is -very- hard to kill, and unless silenced he can kill you quickly)
Mara (fighting a clone of yourself and multiple Mara clones shooting you is not fun)
Mennas (not only it is a magic user killing machine with his silence, and can kill most fighters too)
Snorg/Ruppert ( "i can berzerk multiple times in a row and you can't" )
The Lernaean hydra (able to kill anything in 1 turn if all the heads hit)
Xtahua : (i remember it one shotting a good character i had from afar as soon as it appeared)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »

Maurice is annoying as shit but not deadly unless you're stupid. Nikola is as deadly as 10 Sigmunds... plus 2. I've had rElec and taken 40 fucking damage in a single turn from Airstrike. That's 400(!) damage if I didn't resist his shit.

Airstrike is lightning damage? I figured it was physical if anything.

As far as uniques, that Rakhasha one who produces clones (of yourself and himself) I've found to be a pain... unless you have some area effect to quickly deal with them all.

Also that angel unique because most of my characters are very dependent on spells and he completely shuts them down and moves in to beat you down. Usually I have to get lucky with a few turns between silence and get a flight/swiftness combo and run away. Maybe if I had some reliable summons (not haunt, but air fan maybe) I could deal with him. Otherwise I wait until I get Tornado, then seek him out, cast it before he's in range, and see how he likes slicing me up inside 400mph winds.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:55 pm »

Airstrike, iirc, is basically bypass damage. It does full damage and smite targeting to ruddy everything.
Quote from: bot sez
A single target attack spell; uses smite targeting, so it can hit any monster you can see (it goes through translucent walls too). It checks AC and does 1/2 more damage on flying or levitating monsters. Spell level 4.

It can also hit harder than mystic blast, eventually. Higher power cap, though blast does more damage at equal power.

Only time I've ran into silence angel was in sprint maps, before some sadistic bastid ported him into the main game. Only time I actually killed the thing was, disturbingly enough, with a sif MuSu chain casting haunt. It took probably 250-300 ghosts (note: not exaggeration), but they eventually killed the bugger. Same character killed the cloning rakasha the same way, with probably roughly equal ally expenditure :P That mummy almost beat th'bloody map. A lot of ghosts died.

Chain-haunt can kill almost anything that can't fire through bodies, eventually.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 990