Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666277 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4995 on: March 14, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »

Out of curiosity... why wield a short blade as a transmuter? Pretty much any decent transmuter uses forms and/or blade hands.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: March 14, 2011, 09:04:36 pm »

Any suggestions on dealing with ogres as a MdFi? Especially before the temple. It seems like I can't run fast/far enough.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: March 14, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »

Personally, I think you could handle Slime quite easily as long as you have rCoor and rMut. If you don't, well, that's what those acquirement scrolls are for.

@dealing with Ogres: Run. Don't deal with them, just skip the level until you gain a few levels. My assumption is that an ogre hits for 20 damage per hit. It's actually a bit more, but especially with fighters, your armor will cut a little bit of that away. If you must fight it for whatever reason, use an item. !oMight works great if you can take at least one hit, berserk is great if you really can't. Wands will also deal with them easily since they have almost no EV and not a whole lot of HP.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: March 14, 2011, 09:27:27 pm »

I now have 3? Maybe four ghosts running around levels 4-7 all killed by surviving ogres.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: March 15, 2011, 01:55:26 am »

Out of curiosity... why wield a short blade as a transmuter? Pretty much any decent transmuter uses forms and/or blade hands.

Because I'm a spriggan, basically. Their apts are better for it. In early game, it was easiest to confuse monsters and then stab them, or kite them with evaporated poison clouds. Blade hands has way higher damage output, and I've been using it on bigger monsters, but not having a shield makes me more vulnerable.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: March 15, 2011, 07:54:26 am »

I was surprised to see that a Spriggan can wear a dragon armor, i always thought dragon armor were heavy.

After checking those armor description i noticed that not all of them are heavy and that steam and mottled are in fact light armor.
Good to know for when i'll play again with Spriggan as i always used robes with them.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: March 15, 2011, 02:23:47 pm »

Any opinion on the New okawaru in the trunk?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: March 15, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »

Yeah, some of the lighter dragon armours are great for spriggans and spellcasters. The -2 EV from swamp dragon armour still sounds pretty manageable.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5003 on: March 15, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

My first ever rune! Easily preventable death in the end, but I didn't think the character had the potential to achieve much more. No having any armour or weapons is a problem, especially when I didn't find any jewellery shops or artefact jewellery. I only recently switched to 0.8, I like quite a few of the changes, but it is a bit unstable. I fact that's how I lost 3 lives- I managed to clear most of elf:1, it crashed, I reloaded and did the same thing again. It crashed again. I then cleared it again, but lost two lives in the process. No crash. Same thing happened in the snake pits, but only one crash and death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:30 pm »

Of course, since it's a nerf, it's bad.

More realistically, I'm not sure Okawaru was too powerful to begin with, it's just that everyone liked the gifts. But now a whole bunch of fighters are pissed off since they no longer have a reliable way of getting through Lair. Might made it very possible for Lvl5, 6, and 7 fighters to finish off ogres and other nasties. Heroism doesn't come close to a guaranteed 1d10 damage bonus. Now how am I supposed to drag bad fighting aptitude races up into the mid-game? And if they take away the gifts, what's Okawaru left with? Two abilities, one of which is completely useless in the endgame. Wow that's awful. Okawaru needs something to help out. A straight accuracy bonus of +1 per * would be a great way of making every star relevant. It might be too good if that was a damage bonus, but hey, why not? It could be a damage bonus of 1d*s, that doesn't sound broken. It is boring, yes, but then, I also want another ability given out at *** or **** to make the transition from heroism to finesse and to give Okawaru more oomph in the midgame before one has the invocations to use finesse.

Long-story short, I'm fine with changing Okawaru and even taking away the gifts, but heroism sucks too much to make new Okawaru viable. Okawaru needs another ability or two to make him useful.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:25 pm »

Of course, since it's a nerf, it's bad.

It's not entirely a nerf. Finesse is actually better than Haste when it comes to melee. Heroism is also apparently pretty useful for unarmed combat.

The thing is that Might was too good. The god in general might not have been, but Might was.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:42 pm »

Might's problem was there weren't any drawbacks or real cost to using it and was duplicated by a potion, so it was boring. It was also too good compared to, say, Lugonu or Mahklab and had no downsides compared to Trog. I'm not arguing it didn't need changing, I'm just arguing that heroism sucks. Bad.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:34 pm »

Are fighter-type chars still horribly weak?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: March 15, 2011, 11:07:43 pm »

Armor (as in heavy armor especially) is much better in the trunk builds, so that kind of character is definitely more viable now.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: March 15, 2011, 11:14:37 pm »

Armor (as in heavy armor especially) is much better in the trunk builds, so that kind of character is definitely more viable now.
Will my troll berserker still be an early game killing machine, but a mid game dying machine? Hold on a minute, I downloaded the ultra new version with felids and stuff, now I can't find it! Wheres the download link?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:45:31 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 990